“Great service”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 8 February 2012

We went to our friend's wedding on Friday 3rd and stayed overnight to save driving back in the cold. Without having to worry about the car, (or kids), we took full advantage of the bar! The evening food was great and all the staff were ever so helpful. Our room was huge and very comfortable, (in the stables). Special thanks to Aaron and Sam who gave outstanding service and advice at the bar! Thank you very much.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 February 2012

Great praise indeed, Aaron and Sam will be so pleased to be mentioned on Tripadvisor, thank you so much.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We got married here on 16th Sept 2011.

The staff were magnificent, from booking the big day all the way through all the prep and on the day itself they were heros.

The service was fab. They dressed all the tables for the reception ready for the florist (hubby's god mother) to put the arrangements on. During the reception they never let anyones glasses go empty and were very fast with serving the food which is high quality and every plate was hot!

The wines at this hotel are michelin starred and all of them I tried are gorgeous.

My brisesmaids and I stayed the night prior to the wedding and woke up bright and early on the wedding day to as much breakfast as we could eat, with everything from full english to danish pasties on offer and plenty of tea/coffee, again which didn't run out before you got a top up.

This was served to the same standard the day after our wedding when my husband and i were nursing bad heads!

The rooms are well and recently furnished in a sympathetic style to keep with the victorian era of the mansion. Beds are extremely comfortable.

many of our guests also stayed and thoroughly enjoyed the venue, the food and the service all of which could not be faulted.

would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Stlucy007
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. It warms our hearts to know your special day was memorable, welcome back on any anniversary.

Reviewed 13 January 2012

We got married at Brownsover Hall in September 2011.

Everything was great from the day we booked. We attended the hotel for a trial meal so that we could make the right choice for the wedding breakfast. The wedding organiser was great and accomodated all or our wishes.

The day was amazing. The food was lovely, the wine was just right. The Master of ceromonies put us at ease and made the day run smoothly ( Watch out for the loud voice ).
The evening food was just as good. The Bridal Suite was lovely (huge).

All in all we would recommend a wedding at this venue.

If you have any questions you can message me.

Brownsover Hall do have Wedding fayres.... Go and have a look you won't regret it .

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank susan1warwickshire
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2012

Thank you for your kind comments, We are holding a Wedding Fayre on Sunday January 29th 2012 from 1-4 in the afternoon, prospective Brides and Grooms welcome!

Reviewed 8 January 2012

My husband and I stayed here overnight on our way to London after finding our usual Marriott in the area fully booked. We were very impressed with the value for money. We were allowed to check in early as the room was ready. Decided to stay for dinner so we could both have a drink and although not cheap - the 3 course meal for 2 together with a bottle of wine for around £70 was pretty good. Lovely surroundings and everything was extremely clean. The room in the stable block was very spacious and comfortable, only complaint was a light bulb was out in the lamp. Breakfast the next day was superb - nicely cooked and VERY plentiful. Booking online also mean't that it cost £2.95 less. We loved this hotel and have already recommended it to friends, We would definitely stay again. The only thing I would have criticism about is that although the waiting staff were very efficient and polite - as other guests have mentioned, there was a rushed feeling about the service. We were offered bread and olives whilst waiting for our starter and then the starter was served before we could eat it! Hardly a gap between courses mean't that our evening was over before we would have liked. Similarly at breakfast, our order was taken and served before we had time to look at cereals etc. This may be a good thing if you are in a rush, but a leisurely stay needs a bit more leisurely service. I had wondered if it was because there were not many residents at the time and so the staff were not so busy - but once I'd read some other reviews - I think it's the normal service. Other than this - we will happily be visiting again the next time we're in the area.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank toothfairyjulie

Thank you for your kind words and recommendation. Very useful comments about the speed of service, good point for us to pick up on and be aware. There are clearly time for speed and time for a more leisurely pace depending on the occasion. Welcome back

Reviewed 6 January 2012

We got married here in May 2011, and we thought absolutely everything was just perfect. A wonderful venue in lovely grounds.

The staff were all excellent, especially Phil and Bianca. Helpful, polite, and friendly.

Everyone thought the food was lovely, and the wine too. Several of us have been back at times since. Compared to other local restaurants, the quality is very high for the cost.

For the price, compared to other (and bigger venues), we thought Brownsover Hall was excellent value. We have been to other weddings at other venues, and the way Phil and Co smoothly run the ship here, and Leslie coordinating our day, ours far exceeded those elsewhere.

We are always looking for excuses to go back. Valentine's a calling us I think.

Room Tip: If you stay over on a Friday or Saturday, choose a room that's not above the main Gilbert Scott...
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank zebrasnmoonbeams_

Thank for your kind words, Lesley, Phil and Bianca will be delighted. They are very professional and experienced, but like to hear a guest's appreciation. I am pleased your special day went well. Welcome back for Valentines, anniversaries or nights away.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Stayed overnight here following a family wedding.
The wedding itself was beautiful thanks to great organisation & this lovely building. The food served for both the wedding breakfast & the evening buffet was excellent & well presented. The staff were attentive but not in your face.
We had a room in the coach house which was spacious and comfortable
Breakfast next morning was delicious, served buffet style. Hot and didn't taste or look like it had been hanging around.
Would highly recommend as a wedding venue.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank WarwickshirePussycat

Thank you for your kind words. It was our pleasure and we look forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion

Reviewed 26 November 2011

Let me start by saying that I enjoyed my two night stay at Brownsover Hall but the restaurant let it down due to the quality and value for money of the food on offer.
I was booked in here by my company as it is convenient for the large number of distribution warehouses in the area. The hotel is in well kept grounds and the decor is in keeping with the age of the building and I can see why it is popular with wedding parties etc. My room (45) was in the adjoining stable block which have been tastefully converted to provide comfortable and spacious accomodation. I was aware of some theft incidents here and I can see how there is the easy possibility of leaving your door unlocked or for a previous guest to have a duplicate key cut. Card activated doors would help but don't really fit into the historical appearance of the hotel so I can understand why they have not been fitted. The obvious answer would be for the management to provide an in room safe securely fitted to those thick brick walls and I would hope that some thought is given to this and perhaps security cameras too. Anyway, the bed was comfortable and the bathroom spotlessly clean although there was a 1980's style wall mounted hairdryer unit on the wall with a broken hose rendering it useless. To be fair a modern hairdryer had been left under the TV stand but for a hotel of this quality the broken unit should have been removed and replaced a long time ago.
So, the food. On the first night myself and a colleague were given the option of booking a table in the restaurant but were advised that they were rather busy. We consulted the bar menu and elected to eat there. I had the ribeye steak (actually listed as a ribeye TEAK on the menu) which was £20. It appeared with large chips a grilled tomato and a few sprigs of watercress. That's it. My local steak house does this for £6 less and it comes with more vegetables etc and leaves the diner satisfied. I was glad I had bought some large cookies with me to fill up on when I returned to my room.
The second night there were four of us and this time we did eat in the restaurant. It didn't take long for me to make my choice as it turns out I was looking at the bar menu from the night before but on a far larger sheet of paper! Call me quirky but I would have assumed that a bar menu offers different fare than the higher quality and superior service restaurant. One of our party had what I had the night before and it came with exactly the same items. I had the salmon which came with exactly the same items as the steak from the night before.
Breakfast on the first morning was lovely, especially the poached eggs I had as part of my full English but again the quantities were a bit on the meagre side for the price. As per an earlier reviewer my breakfast order was taken before I had settled and had time to consult the menu for what was on offer. But the service was pleasant and efficient. On the second morning I elected for two poached eggs on toast. Not good. The chef had obviously followed the age old trick of putting vinegar in the water in order to contain the eggs. Unfortunately for me his hand must have slipped with the vinegar as I had two distinctly sour eggs. Had I had more time I would have sent them back and reordered.
It is unfortunate that the food let down what was otherwise a pleasant stay. Anybody who is undecided about a bar meal might as well eat in the main restaurant for the same price and has the same choice. You can fill up on the accompanying bread too. I hope that the management respond by offering a better value bar menu for their guests.

Room Tip: Stables are nice but be aware of the security issue and check that you have locked the door properly...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2011

Thank for taking the time to leave your feed back on your stay with us. Your comprehensive comments are appreciated and will be taken into account when considering some refurbishment projects we have in the new year. We strive to provide value for money and listen to the demands of the market. Our menus are constantly evalued and updated accordingly. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay at Brownsover Hall and that you would consider us again, as a base for your business in the area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
4 mi away
The Carlton Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby
Mercure Brandon Hall Hotel and Spa Warwickshire

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!