“Lovely overnight stay”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I stayed here recently for a wedding . We were in room 2 in the hotel . It was a lovely warm, very comfortable and in pristine condition .
The staff were lovely and very helpful . There is an abundance of parking , and some pretty walks. We had a buffet breakfast which was full of variety , one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel in this country . I shall certainly go back, possibly on an afternoon tea visit . I preferred this hotel to Coombe Abbey which is in the same area !

Room Tip: Room 1 and 2 are large rooms with beautiful bathrooms and garden view windows
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
Welcome back when visiting Rugby.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here for two nights on a business trip and was really disappointed. I booked an "executive room" and was given a room in the stable block. First thing that struck me was the cold! They have a heating system that is activated by inserting a plastic disc into a holder by the door. Apparently they don't bother to put the heating on before guests check in so I had to wait a while for the room to warm up. Don't bother trying to leave the disc inserted if you are staying for more than one night. Housekeeping will remove it when servicing the room so it was just as cold when I returned on the second night.
Second thing that struck me was how tired and old fashioned the room was. There was nothing of any quality in the room apart from a four poster bed (note to hotel keepers; a four poster does not automatically convey luxury to a room. It takes a lot more than that, especially when it's in a room with peeling wallpaper and chipped paintwork).
On the bed (a double) there were two thin polyester filled pillows (one each side of the bed) and a thin polyester filled duvet that didn't overhang the bed on either side. Not a problem for me as I was on my own but would have been terrible if there had been two of us. In the bathroom, the toiletries provided were two tubes of shower gel and a small soap. No shampoo, conditioner or body lotion. At £100 a night most decent hotels would provide shampoo and conditioner. The towels were thin, worn and greying and the shower head was orange with scale.
When I returned to the hotel on the second night of my stay there were no towels at all so I had to contact reception to ask for some. When they arrived they were also thin, worn and greying.
The whole place just felt mean and cheap and the staff didn't appear to care less. Any contact was perfunctory to say the least.
Probably OK if you're looking for pretty gardens to walk in but if you want a warm, comfortable and nicely furnished room to sleep in this is not the place for you. I won't be going back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the hotel, following your recent stay. I am very sorry to hear you were disappointed. This room is in need of some refurbishment and I am hopeful this can be done in the near future. The outside temperature is particularly variable at this time of the year and personal taste varies enormously with regard to room temperature, so it is difficult to get it right for everyone all of the time.
The rooms are heated by individual electric heaters, which we believe allows for your personal comfort.
We provide both shampoo and shower gel in the bathroom, if the shampoo was ommited on this occasion, please accept my apologies. Furthermore, we also provide hollow fibre/polyester duvets and pillows to avoid problems with allergies, these are changed on a regular basis.
I am sorry to hear a set of towels was ommitted on the second night, for future information, there is always a second set in the wardrobe. Our linen is hired and should always be of recent stock. Following your review, we will assess the situation to avoid a reoccurance.
I am very sorry to hear your comments about the staff, as nothing could be further from the truth, they work very hard at your service and it is unfortunate to generalise in this way.
We strive for continual improvement and can amend these issues so that you can return with the reassurance of a warm, comfortable and nicely furnished room on future visits.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

This hotel is only two miles from Rugby station and a £6.50 taxi ride. I would not try to walk it as it is off various main roads. Set in its own landscaped groups, the hotel is in an imposing building that was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott. It is a former family mansion, that became offices, and was subsequently converted into an hotel. It has beautifully appointed and impressive public rooms.

The reception desk is not always staffed but there is a telephone to ring for assistance and someone came quickly when I tried it. Check in and out were efficient and friendly. I was told without having to ask about the code system to obtain free internet access, which was a nice touch.

There were lots of stairs to my bedroom, on a second floor and I was not asked whether I had any mobility problems. Unfortunately, there is no lift so make sure you are either fit or that you ask for a ground floor room (which I assume they must have in a converted stable block that the person checking in ahead of me was directed to).

My bedroom was quite luxurious and spotlessly clean. It was tastefully decorated with quality furniture, I had a great night's sleep as the bed was SO comfortable! The room had tea/coffee making facilities and passed my biscuit test. There was also a note which invited you to ring if you wanted fresh milk - another nice touch. A small bottle of water would have been appreciated, too. There was an iron and ironing board, and a good workspace, both important for the business traveller. Unfortunately, there was no desk light, which I think is an oversight.

My bedroom folder contained a brief history of the building and its residents (including Sir Frank Whittle, the inventor of the jet engine) as well as thoughtful local guide (eg suggesting how to obtain discounts to attractions).

There is no gym in the hotel, although you can have massage and other treatments made available in your bedroom for £60 an hour (with 24 hours notice requested). There is a restaurant, although I did not eat dinner in the hotel and you can also order food in the bar (e.g. fish and chips for about £13). The hotel prides itself on an extensive list of wines by the glass and it can make a range of cocktails for only £6.50 each.

I had a great breakfast - which was freshly cooked to order. Unfortunately, the toast was cold when it arrived and the orange juice was so so. But my bacon was cooked to perfection, the sausage was very tasty and the coffee was fantastic!

One night's accommodation was £80, which was very good value for the quality of the experience. Thank you, Brownsover Hall.

Room Tip: If you have mobility problems, make sure you don't have a room which requires you to climb lots...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your comprehensive and constructive review. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciative of your helpful indepth comments.

I wish you welcome back on your next visit to Rugby.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This a lovely old house set in very pleasant gardens and with direct access onto the canal so that a pleasant walk can be had direct from the hotel grounds. We were given room 1 which was large clean and comfortable with large windows giving views over the hotel gardens. The bed was very comfortable and we slept so well that neither of the alleged resident ghosts were able to disturb us! Dinner was excellent with great food well presented with friendly and efficient service. The restaurant looked out the gardens making it particularly pleasant. Breakfast was equally good both the cooked and continental. If I was to make any criticism it would be that the bar area could do with a make over but having been so well looked after this seems to be nit picking. I would most certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Moray1
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

thank you so much for your kind comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.
I note your comments about the bar and can assure you it is due for a refit very soon.

welcome back on your next visit to Rugby

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Spent a night here in one of the stable rooms (we'd recommend one of those!) in April, Beautiful gothic building full character which we loved, and a little creepy, which we also loved. Also booked wineglass restaurant for dinner which was decent food-wise though the service a bit slow and the atmosphere a little dead. Despite there being a wedding on the staff were attentive. We were very impressed with the polite bar man (shane?) despite being obviously very busy took time to chat to us and everyone he served. Definitely worth another visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a stable room!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

It is kind of you to mention Shane by name and pleased you enjoyed his company in the bar.

welcome back on your next visit to Rugby

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Very simple quick review, stayed here a few weeks back on a work stayover and had a half dent room. Was housed in the old stableblock and enjoyed a good nights sleep.
Reception is wonderful. staff obliging and the history of the jet engine (Frank Whittle) a nice bonus.
Would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask to be housed in the stable block, it gets you away from the coming and goings of other guests.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Thank you very much for your short review. History creates stories and stories give a place character, this differenciates Brownsover Hall from many other properties. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and welcome with us. See you again soon.

Reviewed 8 April 2014

Had a recent weekend stay booked as a present. The hotel was a lovely old hall with a stable block where our room was.The room was great having it's own sitting area and bedroom on the floor above.
We ate both nights in the hotel as there was very little locally and the food was good, but the restaurant lacked atmosphere, was cold in certain areas and there was some overspill of noise from the weddings on both nights in the other rooms.
The hotel does seem to be set up more as a venue for weddings and as a result other guests do suffer a little.

Room Tip: Go for the rooms in the stable block if you can
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments and sorry you felt marginalised. Brownsover Hall has many faces, we are excellent as a wedding venue, but welcome the majority of our guests, weekday and weekend, equally for business and pleasure throughout the year.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
Dunchurch Park
#1 of 1 in Easenhall
The Carlton Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!