“Well worth a stay”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the British Grand Prix , great location
Receptionist a bit offish. Didn't eat as it seemed a bit soulless.
Great room fantastic location
Bit pricey for the overall experience. But would stay again in a slightly cheaper room
Would recommend

• Stayed: July 2014
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Thank you for your review and delighted you enjoyed the experience. My apologies if the receptionist came over rather reserved. I am sure it was not her intention. I note your comment on prices and advise of a number of offers and promotions we offer year round. Please consult our website www.brownsoverhall.co.uk or like us on facebook to keep updated.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This hotel was selected by the group organiser and it is close to Rugby, easy to find and very near to a couple of retail parks should you feel the need to go shopping.

The grounds are spectacular with beautiful lawns and trees and I walked my dog around them and into the Swift Valley Country Park through a gate over a bridge. It is the only location in the area where dogs may be let off lead.

(Please note dogs are not permitted inside the hotel itself).

The decor is very dramatic as befits a gothic establishment and one can see why it is a popular venue for weddings.

My room was at the end of a corridoor behind a door which separated rooms 1 and 2 from the rest of the corridoor.

It was spacious, well appointed with a very comfortable bed, free wifi, Freeview TV and a hospitatlity tray.

The bathroom was also sympathetically decorated the only disappointment was that it took an age for hot water to finally make an appearance and the very low pressure of the shower; toiletries were supplied.

It is the first time I have had apple in a Pimms (it is very sad that one of the quintessential British summer drinks is so poorly prepared in so many hostelries).

We had a meal in a private dining room and I could not fault the appearance, taste or service.

Breakfast was rather more pedestrian and the waiter somewhat less than smart. A reasonable selection of cereals and pastries was available, but the hot water, was not, and the poached eggs overdone.

All in all this is not bad value for money and a very picturesque location.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thank you very much for your review and I am delighted you enjoyed your short stay with us. We take onboard your comments about breakfast and will look into introducing improvements.
Welcome back on future visits to the Rugby area.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I only stayed one night but the room was good and the breakfast excellent. Unfortunately the WIFI access in my room and in the public areas of the hotel was such that I was unable to access the internet which was unfortunate due to time difference dealing with some family issues back in Australia. In this day and age it is a given that WIFI access is as expected as toilet paper. I am sure the problem can be fixed.

Room Tip: Check WIFI is working OK in all rooms before booking if this is a requirement when travelling.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for your review of Brownsover Hall. I am sorry the Wifi didn't work to your satisfaction.
We constantly monitor the system in order to provide the best possible coverage, although variations are always subject to a number of unknowns. For information in the future, we do provide hard wired options in the bedrooms in the main house as well as the conference rooms in the event of wifi down time. I hope this did not cause undue inconvenience.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We were married here in July, the venue is old and beautiful and the grounds stunning! The staff went out of their way to accommodate our every need, really couldn't fault them. The food was excellent, and overall great value for money. We had an amazing day, Hayley & Karen were brilliant and kept everything on the day and evening running smoothly.

We can't thank you enough for helping to make our day so magical!! ❤
Mr & Mrs Scott

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Annette S

Thank you very much for the review of your wedding at Brownsover Hall and am delighted it provided the platform for a very happy life together. Thank you for mentioning Hayley and Karen for special praise. I am pleased they looked after you so well. All the very best.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is the most stunning beautiful venue to marry the man of your dreams! From the moment we met Lesley (wedding co-coordinator) who is professional, efficient, knowledgeable yet so kind and caring we knew we would have the most perfect day. Nothing was too much trouble which made the planning enjoyable,a breeze and effortless. Paul and I married in the Library on May 30th, we had a small intimate reception followed by a "party" in the Sir Gilbert Scott room. Alice, looked after us on the day, (and what a fantastic job she did) but I would like to say that all the staff were helpful and they always had a smile on their face. The menu that we had chosen for our wedding breakfast was delightful (we had chosen following a menu tasting evening) and the evening buffet was well received, with many of our guests commenting how lovely it was. Claire (Black Orchid) created stunning bouquets and floral displays, Wendy and Roy ( Millhouse Events) made the reception room look magical, what a fantastic team!

The brochure promises to offer "something unique and special with a beautiful elegant setting
and that extra personal touch" we can honestly say that their promise was kept! Thank you for a truly memorable amazing day. Paul and Debbie Woods

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DebbieWD4135NQ

Thank you for your kind words and I am delighted Brownsover Hall and staff exceeded your expectations on this your very special day. It is reassuring to hear praise about our preferred suppliers and this reconfirms our confidence in them. All the very best to you in married life.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

iv already passed my thanks and comments to the general manager but thought id relay my message on here! We attended a wedding of my friends here and I cannot fault this
wonderful, beautiful place!

I too work in the hospitality trade so I know how hard it can get sometimes
but I wanted to thank your staff for their professionalism over the course
of the day. Every staff member that was on shift was very friendly,
attentive and generally looked like they enjoyed being there! Which is a
very rare occasion at some hotels let me tell you!

There are two staff members which I cannot thank and speak highly enough of;
Alice (Master of Ceremonies) and James (tall, waiter). Nothing seemed to be
an issue for them both and they entertained my children when they were quite
frankly driving me up the wall! They too want to come back to the hotel to
have another colouring competition with Alice! Another issue that struck me
was when the staff were handing out our desserts, a lot of our party openly
admitted that the dessert was not for them and without any hesitation Alice
asked if they could offer us an alternative dessert (just ice-cream but it
was the initial thought that struck me and something I will take back with
me to my work place).

Congratulations to the chef on the wedding breakfast, the food for me was
divine and I could not fault it. The evening buffet food was also lovely,
hot and replenished accordingly. The grounds are lovely and we were
fortunate enough to have the weather to be able to have a walk around and
everyone sit outside where we enjoyed our garden activities.

Overall you have a beautiful place for special occasions like this and thank
you once again to the management and staff for making it so wonderful for my friends.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah L

Thank you again for your kind words, which is very much appreciated.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

The glee with which my wife and I were greeted by the receptionist who informed us, having arrived at 21:02, that dinner had stopped being served at 21:00 made me think we had arrived at an episode of Fawlty Towers.

Sadly, how right I was.

We were located in a tiny attic room, and no lift to the room, I asked whether we could have assistance with our luggage. The happy receptionist simply smiled and shrugged and left me to it.

Exhausted, I arrived at our room to be greeted with a bed slightly wider than a single, trying to get a shower in "bathroom" that spat out barely a dribble of icy cold water.

An attempt to get a sandwich (after wandering the hotel grounds for 15 minutes trying to find someone to serve in the bar) was greeted with incredulation by the staff, and my reward was a petulant slamming of a couple of slices of dry bread with wafer thin ham onto my table. An attempt to get another pint saw the barmaid stomp the glass onto the bar with such force that half of it spilt back over her. She didn't take kindly to my laughing, of course.

Perhaps that's why the morning's breakfast (half a sausage, a burnt rasher of bacon, an over cooked fried egg - I asked for poached - and cold toast) was only to be expected.

My complaints to management fell on selectively deaf ears, and they were quite happy to take my money at the end of the stay.

Needless to say - avoid. Avoid like the plague.

Room Tip: Don't. Just dont.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank p4ulmiller

I am sorry your experience at Brownsover Hall fell well below expectations.I know we are far better that the situation you describe. I suggest you contact me directly at gm@brownsoverhall.co.uk and we can find a solution which is more in line with your wishes.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
Dunchurch Park
#1 of 1 in Easenhall
The Carlton Hotel
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!