“Never stay when theres a wedding!”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My family and I have stayed at Brownsover many times over the past few years as we have family locally.
At first it was a lovely hotel, an old manor house with character but not stupidly over priced.
Unfortunately my last few stays have been less than pleasant.
I'm not sure if they have been taken over by new management or if they have just let the standards slip, but either way the experience is atrocious.
My last visit on 2nd August will be my last.
The house/ room ( I was in room 8) is in desperate need of new paint, the shower was falling off the wall, my windows were propped open with used shampoo bottles and the carpet was threadbare in places.
The main fault with the hotel is the service.
NEVER STAY IF THERE IS A WEDDING ON! - All idea of service goes out the window. They simply cannot cope if the hotel is marginally full. The staff appear to have no real training, all seem to be teenagers who share a brain cell between them.
What hotel thinks its a good idea to book non-wedding guests into the rooms above the bar! The bar that is open till 3am.
We complained about the noise but nothing was done, reception suggested we move rooms at 02:30am?!?!?
When there is a wedding on the kitchen cannot cope with making individual breakfasts so breakfast is served buffet style, inevitably its cold and congealed, and rarely refreshed.
They don't tell you this in advance though, you find out on the morning, after they have charged you £10.00pp. Also good luck getting a table if there is a wedding.
When we complained on checkout, we were informed we had to pay the full amount and then maybe get a refund later as everything was out-sourced and they had no authority on site to deal with complaints.
Every time i stay at this hotel i hope for it to get better and return to its "glory" days, as it is such a lovely building and the grounds are beautiful, but it just keeps getting worse, and after my last stay I will never give it the benefit of the doubt again.

Room Tip: Stay in the stables, they are newer and away from the main noise of the house.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Thank you for your comments. It is very unfortunate that you were accommodated in a room above the bar and some confusion as to whether you were part of the wedding party. I apologise for this as I did immediately to your Partner and sent you an email with an offer of complimentary dinner, bed and breakfast as a token of our goodwill. We have many rooms away from parties taking place downstairs so the chance of being disturbed is minimal. On this occasion, I sincerely regret you were accommodated in the wrong room at the wrong time. If you like to contact me on gm@brownsoverhall.co.uk, I would be happy to explain.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Husband and I stayed at the Brownsover as part of a voucher deal, two nights bed, breakfast and one evening dinner with Prusecco and chocolates (only four little chocs in a box but chocolates nonetheless!) and we added an extra night as we wanted a little longer weekend break - for the voucher deal it had to be a stay between Thursday and Sunday - on arrival it was quite good (check in after 2pm) nice olde worlde building and inside hung tapestries and massively high ceilings but we were stopped from parking outside the hotel (out the front) because there was a wedding on so we had to park at the back and as it was a weekend it was busy which was to become a bit of an annoyance as the car park is not spacious enough for all the big cars that park there and my car got scratched and of course no one knew anything about it which was very frustrating. the food was good. we had the dinner the first night but beware you have to make up the extra if you go over the allocated allowance you are given which is confusing (if you stay as part of a deal for two nights you get 50£ allowance for two and if you stay one night you get £40 allowance for two) so its an allowance rather than dinner included....

the niggles I have are things like:

a) breakfast - on the first full night which was a Saturday night (so our first breakfast was a sunday morning) was like a buffet breakfast which in itself was ok apart from the fact that they were really slow in replenishing the items so I never got a sausage (no comments please its a family site)...the wedding party get a separate area so they don't have to mix with the riff raff...the real issue was the next morning (Monday) when we got to our table for breakfast I ordered some tea and toast (beware its warm bread if you don't ask for well cooked toast) and got up to go to the buffet - only to be told that they don't do buffet on the weekdays its only when there's a wedding that happens so then I had to order from the menu!!? So then I missed my toast order because I had to wait for another waitress to take my breakfast order and if there's one thing that I really really really hate more than anything is to have ordered something and NOT GET IT and then OTHER PEOPLE GET THEIR STUFF BEFORE ME AND I HAVE ORDERED FIRST .....take not hotels....its really really annoying and frustrating to sit and watch other tables get their orders when I have to wait but I was there before them... I REALLY HATE THAT....then they forget about you and you end up the last people to get your breakfast....these details should be told to people either when they arrive or when they arrive in the breakfast room ..

b) they don't tell you that they have sold off lots of land surrounding the hotel and if you go out for a walk in their supposedly 8 acres you will get lost and end up in a housing estate that is in the process of being built on the land that they have sold....there are not enough signs or information about the land surrounding the hotel and we ended up miles out and lost and we had to come back along a road which was not lit running next to the hotel which was not a nice experience...

the people who book with the vouchers on or a deal get put in the stables area....our room was a executive double on the ground floor which sadly only had heavy curtains to block out people walking past - HOTEL PLEASE NOTE please put net curtains in so that we are not in darkness on the ground floor..the bed was big and nice and the flat screen tv was good - sadly the bathroom was a bit of a let down as it was very tired and needed some upgrading but HOTEL PLEASE NOTE please let people know that the hot water is SCALDING HOT.....but the bath fills up quickly.

mostly we had a good time but these irritations, if heeded and acted upon, would have made me put a better rating for the hotel. Little irritation like more food on the plates at dinner...my husband was still hungry afterwards and its all very well having a good chef but can we please have more food we're hungry....three little vegetables are not going to cut it ...

The staff were friendly and they did get the final bill right which was a minor miracle seeing as we had extra drinks and sandwiches which sometimes get put on the bill twice.

All in all it was an ok stay and i'm happy we used a voucher.

Room Tip: rooms in the actual hotel and not the stables are probably reserved for wedding parties but if you c...
1  Thank jane c

Thank you for your comprehensive review and I have studied your comments in great detail.
Some of the issues you voice I have responsibility for, others like the adjacent housing estate, lane and signage, I have no control. The land has never belonged to the hotel as it happens.
We block off the front car park for use for the wedding, however there is ample parking behind the main building. I am very sorry, of course, that your car was demaged. I am pleased you enjoyed the use of your voucher for added value, the dinner allowance on these is £25.00 per person and does not vary, so I hope this clarifies the point. Welcome back for one of our seasonal breaks available on our website for best customer value.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We booked a Standard Double with a free upgrade however due to availability, we ended up in a tiny room in The Stables area of the hotel.

Reception were good, quick check in and the offer of an express check out.

As stated, we were allocated a small 1st floor room in The Stables. As is stated before in other reviews going back a few months now, it is desperately in need of refurbishment. Stained walls, cracked sink, stained carpet, stained duvet, plaster hole in ceiling, bed that moves about, faded curtains and poor painting blemished this room.

Evening meal was reasonable however I measure a meal by how I could of done it myself at home and to be honest, I could of done the same at home. Starter was good, burger was a little dry between its bun and to think thats just cost you just shy of 20 quid makes you despair at the menu prices.

Breakfast was good once we managed to get a table, busy time.

Staff were very good and there was one in particular who was excellent! Emma is a credit to the hotel with her excellent interpersonal skills and she did a fine job of putting up with the four of us during Dinner.

Seems like the hotel caters well for Weddings and the backdrop is excellent.

Get those rooms sorted out and maybe, just maybe we might pop by once again.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room beforehand if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review. We have a rolling programme of decoration for all rooms and the Stables rooms are scheduled for complete refurbishment later in the year. Welcome back to a new look Brownsover Hall very soon

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Booked a room at short notice and it was excellent value. Room was in the Stables area and was spacious and well appointed. The main building is very nice and service very good. Great location only a mile or two from Rugby and the train station.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and felt you received value for your money. Welcome back

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed one night at brownsover hotel in rugby as part of a deal with secret escapes.

The hotel room was spacious and clean. The bed was large and comfy. There are some really nice walks around the hall gardens too.

The food in the restaurant was excellent. So tasty! The breakfast was also good- it was a buffet style and was very tasty also.

Stayed: April 2014

thank you for your comments and I am delighted you enjoyed the food in the WineGlass restaurant. Welcome back and take advantage of our many promotions throughout the year

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We married at this hotel five years ago and always said we would return.

It's a gem of a hotel and represents pretty good value. It has changed hands one or twice since we were last here but you can't miss it's beautiful exterior and appreciate the grandeur of the setting setting. Drive off the main road and all of a sudden you are in a rural retreat.
Some parts of the interior are a little tired in places but our superior room in the stable block was large and clean.

The restaurant food was particularly good... wonderful duck & lamb main courses, and good puddings. Starters were less impressive but nice enough.

Remember this is a wedding venue, so expect guests and music at the weekend.

Lovely staff. We were pleased we went back again... more happy memories.

1  Thank MrsPog
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Delighted to see you back after five years to relive all those good memories of your wedding. Thank you for your comments. Don't leave it another five years before you are back again.
We look forward to it.

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were looking for somewhere to stay near Rugby on our journey down through the UK. Brownsover Hall popped up with a very good offer comparable to the various chain hotels nearby: it looked interesting, so we decided to give it a try.

The hotel is set in extensive and well-kept grounds and the building itself is very striking. We could see why it is evidently popular as a wedding venue, and enjoyed a pleasant evening stroll around the gardens.

The bedroom was fine: nothing special, but clean and comfortable. It would be great if the décor of the bedrooms better reflected the grandeur of the building as a whole, but at the price we paid that would be well beyond expectations. The breakfast rooms and conference rooms we saw were more in keeping with the ambience of the building.

The cold breakfast selection could have been better: the orange juice in particular was a bit watery. We didn't order anything cooked so can't comment on that.

The staff we met were friendly and helpful.

2  Thank Family W

Thank you very much for your review and delighted to hear you enjoyed your short stay with us.
I take note of your comments regarding room decor and hope this issue of room refurbishment will be addressed shortly. Apologies if the orange juice was below the normal standards of quality on this occasion. We look forward to offer assistance and hospitality in the future when you are in the Rugby area.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
Dunchurch Park
Travelodge Rugby Central
The Rugby Hotel
The Rugby Hotel
#11 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!