“Great classical hotel”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Bristol
“Great classical hotel”
Reviewed 16 November 2009

I stayed at Brownsover Hall for one night and I must say I was really impressed. This is a gorgeous Victorian mansion converted into a hotel with plenty of charm. If you're after a modern hotel with all the latest gadgets, this is not it. But if you're after a place with a lot of charm and character, this is as good as it gets. Our room was in the stables, not in the main building and was simply superb, on two levels, a cosy lounge downstairs with a sofa, chair, desk and TV, and bathroom and bedroom upstairs (with another TV). It felt like our own Victorian maisonette, not a hotel room. The food at the restaurant was quite good, not the very best you could get but certainly adequate, the staff in the hotel was always charming and the room price quite reasonable. All in all it was a great stay.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
BrownsoverHall, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 14 January 2010
Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 October 2009

We were given a gift of a night in a hotel with dinner and breakfast by our work colleagues for our civil partnership. After looking through the choices, Brownsover Hall stood at as the one to go for given it's location and the characterful building.

On arriving we were not disappointed and were greated by the friendly reception staff. There was a slight hiccup in that they did not have our booking; however that was a fault of central reservation not the hotel itself. The problem was quickly sorted and we went up to our room which I have to say was very clean, very well finished and the TV had the best reception I think I've ever seen in a hotel!

We ate in the restaurant and were very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. All three courses were delicious and the excellent menu made it difficult to choose as it all sounded so good. Our waitress was extremely friendly which also made for a pleasant meal. As with dinner, breakfast the following morning was also excellent.

My only gripe would be that we could only log onto the free WiFi using one computer; we happened to have two laptops with us and could only log on with one.

All in all a wonderful night in a lovely hotel with some of the best food I have had in a long time (better than The Grand in Brighton!).

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank luffie
Thank you for your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future.
Durham
Reviewed 14 May 2009

No, not the hotel staff but rather the people whining about nonsense on this page. I have just spent an absolutely superb 4 days at this hotel whilst attending a course a couple of miles away.

The staff are extremely friendly and never too busy to engage in a conversation - which is a bonus for the lone traveller. A special mention to Oliver, Phillip, Stacy, and the girls on reception.

The grounds are immaculate, and the exterior of the hotel is well presented. Now before we go inside, I want you to remember that this is not the Hilton, or some faceless chain of identical buildings. It's a converted Victorian mansion, built long before wifi, power showers and plasma tv screens.

My one complaint, and isn't really a complaint was that the wifi was a bit patchy, but this was easily solved by using a lan cable with the point in my room. Talking to others, some had more luck with wifi than others. When connected, the speed is fast enough - no it's not 20mb cable broadband - but why would you need that anyway?

I found the food in the restaurant to be of an excellent standard. I had a beautiful steak on my first evening, and the breakfasts were excellent too. Service was always with a smile, and you had the feeling that if you only asked the staff to do naked cartwheels, they would happily oblige.

The bar was well stocked, and comfortable, with a large screen TV kept at a pleasant background volume. There were ample parking spaces, even on days when the hotel was being used for conferences.

My room was immaculately cleaned every day. There was a large comfortable double bed, a spacious wardrobe with full-length mirrors (which hid an iron, ironing board, and garment bag). The bathroom - especially the shower - were fantastic. Yes, apparently at peak times you have to wait maybe 90 seconds for some hot water, but I never experienced this. Again, it was cleaned daily and fresh towels provided.

There was a spacious desk with a tv on, and the usual complimentary tea/coffee facilities.

I've been so impressed with my stay here that I am planning to bring my wife back for our anniversary next year. When I'm not on expenses I shall sample some of the other fine menu items, and maybe take advantage of the free gym facilities (off site).

Locally to the hotel there is a large Tesco for anything you forgot to pack, and several chain restaurants amid 2 large retail parks. The town centre is approx 5 minutes away in a taxi - £5.

If you want luxury go to a 5* hotel. if you want a guarantee that your experience will be the same as every other got to a premier inn or holiday inn.

If you want a charming and relaxing environment with some breathtaking scenery, stay at Brownsover Hall.

Thank you once again to all of the staff.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank GeoNeo
BrownsoverHall, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this review, 13 October 2009
Thankyou for taking the time to leave your review. It is great to hear such positive feedback about Brownsover Hall. Due to your comments we have now had our WIFI upgraded to give better coverage. However until the telephone exchange is upgraded we will have to cope with the current speeds. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.
Warwickshire
Reviewed 16 April 2009

Had the displeasure to visit this venue for a family meal at Easter. Whilst the house and gardens are a delight the restaurant was appalling. The starter of soup was little more than boiled potato water and very bland and the 'crusty' bread roll was rock hard. The main of roast beef was a disappointment as the beef was very tough and chewy whilst the mint choc and strawberry moose was sickly beyond words with no evidence of the mint or the strawberry. My partner's cheesecake was utterly bland and unbelievably they ran out of desserts so my father had to make do with a bowl of ice cream! I am no expert cook but I can make much nicer food than this in my kitchen at home! The water jug looked as though it had used for flowers as it was green inside. To top it all several of my family have been ill since we visited. In true English style we did not want to complain in case of upsetting my aunt whose birthday we were celebrating. Can't comment on the hotel as we did not stay over but avoid the restaurant like the plague!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Thank you for your review on Brownsover Hall. I appreciate the time you have taken to give us such valuable feedback. It was very disappointing to hear you had such a negative lunch with us. Hopefully our conversation has reassured you of our commitment to provide the best possible service to you and all guests. I look forward to welcoming you back to Brownsover Hall in the near future.
wigan
Reviewed 14 March 2009

the hotel is a central spot for me and my boyfriend to meet, the location is excellent, the hotel is very beautiful and private, the staff we polite and friendly and very professional. really pleased with the experience as this is the ideal place for us, and we are looking at going again soon.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LGx
Welwyn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2008

From beginning to end the stay was excellent. The service was superb even with a wedding function taking place we were not made to feel unwelcome. The hotel is beautiful, the room was lovely, the staff were very friendly & helpful. Would recommend this to anyone staying in Rugby.
The evening meal & breakfast was of high quality and great value for money.
The room was clean and comfortable in attractive stable conversion.

• Liked — The hotel itself and the level of service received
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Sarah M
Milton Keynes
Reviewed 1 September 2008

I stayed here the night before my wedding and the night off my wedding and I had a fabulous time. The room was a downstairs lounge and an upstairs bedroom and bathroom. The room service could have done with being a little swifter and the broken toilet seat was a bit of a hastle but apart from that it was great. I had some fantastic photos taken in the grounds before heading off to the church and the very comfy bed was welcomed after a long day.
There were a couple of suggestions I would make is about the room itself. There was very little natural light and the lighting itself was quite dull which meant my make up ladies and photographer struggled a bit. Also there was no full length mirror downstairs leading to a rather comical trip up the narrow winding staircase and down again to be able to see what I looked like in my dress. As this hotel seems very popular with couples getting married a hook in the ceiling would be a grand idea to allow the haning up of a wedding dress. We had to use the curtain rail which was far fom ideal as this meant the curtains had to be left shut.
Overall though the food was lovely and the staff were very helpful so I would definatly recommend this place to everyone. Don't read the rest of the reveiws as they are hardly balanced opinions.

• Liked — The beautiful buildings and grounds
  • Disliked — Slow Room Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Mentalist76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
Draycote Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
Coombe Abbey Hotel
#3 of 39 in Coventry
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,756 reviews

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!