“Character and more”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Poole, United Kingdom
“Character and more”
Reviewed 27 September 2011

If you are looking for a hotel with no or very little character then dont bother with this little beauty...I have been staying here since October 2010 and was looking for something that I can call home whilst I am working and staying in Rugby. So what if the rooms are not to the Ritz standard, they certainly have character!!!! The food is superb with a nice varied menu and the staff are always extra glad to help and serve. If ever I have had a 'serious' problem with my room it has been dealt with immediately and efficiently.

Would definately recommend this hotel if you are looking for a place to eat in Rugby and would certainly recommend it if you are looking for a permanent place to stay whilst on business in Rugby. I would not recommend this hotel to 'snobs' who expect to be pampered and have gold plated taps in their bathrooms, go book the Ritz in London and commute to Rugby!!

Thanks guys for everything and please do not modify the rooms too much !!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Robert B
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 7 October 2011
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the hotel and restaurant, we are glad that you gave enjoyed your stays with us, and look forward to seeing you soon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2011

My partner and I stayed at this hotel and we certainly will never stay again. The curtains were hanging off the rail, and when you turned the cold water on it was hot, very hot, also the toilet roll holder was on the floor. The bed had a big dip in the middle and was very uncomfortable.
In the morning I wanted to have a shower and there was no hot water.

The rooms certainly need updating it is a pity they are not as nice as the downstairs area.
We will never ever stay in that hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay there
Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Erica504202
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Thank you for your review. Do sincerely apologise about your experience, a refurbishment programme is in place and works are always on going. Apologies again

Travellers are raving about these Rugby hotels

Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2011

The food at the hotel was fantastic. I have been going for many years before the recent change of management. i have never stayed there as i live very near the hotel. The décor is great and the service fantastic. Portion size can be too big and also too small. Also the vegetables are not always cooked fully, which stops my Grandmother wanting to go there for large family dos.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank adventurebooks
Thank you for your warm comments regarding the restaurant, we are working on to get the portion sizes right and do sincerely apologise about this.

We do hope to see you again in the near future
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2011

My partner and I book hotels in Rugby on a fairly frequent basis and we have been looking for somewhere good to use regularly. We have used the Grosvenor a couple of times and have been less than impressed but our most recent visit left us in no doubt that we will never return! When I arrived at check-in they did not have details of our booking, despite it being booked online earlier that day. The guy on reception simply said 'we have no rooms left... only singles'. I explained I had paid for a double and that my partner would be joining me later but he still continued to say that they only had single rooms. I said 'ok, refund my payment and I will find another hotel'. At this he called someone on the phone. Then he said 'we have a room'.... He gave me a rather large room however I couldn't get in! When he came to help me with the lock (which were an issue on the rooms we have stayed in previously at this hotel) it smelt a bit odd inside. I didn't say anything at the time but I was soon back in reception as the TV didn't work. The guy brought me a new one, which didn't work particularly well either. As I lay on the bed watching the TV the smell just wouldn't go away. Like damp and mildew.. I got up to look outside and, having taken my shoes off, my feet were wet!! They must have had the carpet cleaned and that's why they said they didn't have a room. No wonder it smelt.... I'd rather have gone somewhere else! I then saw that the window was smashed and a large shard of glass was on the floor. It would have sliced my foot open if I hadn't seen it. My partner was not happy with the choice of hotel anyway so when he came back to see all of that he was furious.. but it was late so we just went to bed. To cap it off in the morning I was informed that breakfast was finished. They had given me the wrong time so I had missed it. They were completely uninterested in the fact that it was their misinformation that caused me to miss the breakfast time. So i was left hungry. I will never go back to that Hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank CatherineMC81
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 June 2011

my niece held her wedding here and it was a lovely day,staff were very helpful and friendly,food was lovely,would stay here again

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank janeoooo
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 15 June 2011
Thank you for your kind words, we are glad the day went well and look forward to welcoming you at the Grosvenor once again
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The thing that drove me mad the most and nearly made me decide not to check in was the boarded up window at the front! Why don't they just paint it White or replace it. Real shame as the food is excellent & I would have recommended other people.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Freddericka
Thank you for your positive comments regarding the food, with regards to the window, it is in the process of getting replaced
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I haven't stayed at this hotel (as we are locally based) but felt it was worth informing others that it has an excellent and reasonably priced restaurant. It's very clean, recently refurbished by the looks of things, and the food is very nice and large in portion! The hotel was recently featured on Channel 5's 'The Hotel Inspector' and its restaurant was singled out for praise here too. This is not gourmet / fine dining level food, but well worth a visit if you live locally or are in the area. It also has a reasonably sized and free car park around the back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SteveBB85
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your meal and look forward to welcoming you again in the near future
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
The Carlton Hotel
#1 of 2 in Crick
Dunchurch Park
Dunchurch Park
#1 of 2 in Dunchurch

Been to The Grosvenor Hotel? Share your experiences!