“Poorly decorated, maintained and not best standards of cleanliness.”

The Grosvenor Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 27 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night, as planned. It served a purpose but I was not impressed.
I'd been told it had been recently refurbished. If so - very poorly done.
Wall paper along the hall way was peeling off. The curtain rail in the bedroom was hanging off. One of the wall sockets was very dirty. I shall not be staying there again. It wasn't that cheap either.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Bob B

Reviewed 19 June 2013

My first and last review was for this hotel, I'm not usually the type to review but last time around I saw some negative comments which I didn't agree with so thought it's only fair to have my say.

I did say that the hotel was on the way up in my last review and it still is! I was there for the weekend as we had a party at the Benn Hall on Friday night and then catching up with friends on Saturday which I managed to persuade to eat at the 'Fusion' restaurant within the hotel. I knew the food was good from the last time I stayed and guess what? It still is! The only down side was that the menu seems to be a bit smaller than before but none the less the food is still great. I had the fillet of Salmon and tried a some of my partners Chicken Metha(not too sure of the spelling!) but couldn't fault either.

Overall, the place looks better than it did last time which is always a plus sign. Both receptionists were fantastic as was the general level of service throughout our stay and a nice touch was that the owner remembered me from a good few years ago!

Just a tip, try and ask for a room at the back to avoid

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank JASON88London
ManagerGrosvenor, Manager at The Grosvenor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for your kind review. We sincerely appreciate your comments with regards to our staff, and is great to know that the food is good as was a few years ago. We look forward to welcome you again in the future

Reviewed 14 June 2013

Booked a table in the Fusion restaurant which is within the main hotel. Parking was no problem, with several spaces in their own car park.

FIrst impressions as we walked in were good, with a nice clean & fresh reception area. Staff were very attentive and polite as soon as we walked in.

We sat down in the restaurant and were immediately impressed by the decor & the general feel of the place. Music was piped through wall speakers, which I normally do not like - this, however, was pleasant to the ear and not overpowering and added to the overall ambience.

There were three in our party, and as it was Thursday 'Indian' food night, we all ordered the Indian Set Meal, which consisted of a starter, main course, and a glass of house wine. Choice was reasonable, but not huge - typical for a 'set' menu. Starter was delivered promptly, and was very nice (chicken tikka & fish tikka) & had a good amount of greens/garnish.

The main courses were delicious - we all had chicken massala - each being accompanied by several small nann breads, which were soft & very tasty, and a dish of rice. Once again, the young lady who waited us was polite & attentive.

This was undoubtedly one of the nicest Indian meals I have eaten out - not just the food but the general ambience. Surprisingly, the restaurant was empty other than us, but I cannot believe that will persist with a set menu as nice as this at such a reasonable price (£12.95 pp).

Just want to add that I have no connection with the hotel whatsoever - I know that's something that always occurs to me when I read a glowing review .... it just was really impressive!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sean D

Thank you for your kind words. We are very happy you enjoyed our 'Curry Night' set menu and look forward to welcome you in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2013

Stayed for one night on 14 March. Staff very friendly, car park was very busy, had a first floor room over reception. It was very noisy during and later in the evening with people talking and laughing, and again from early in the morning. Breakfast was excellent as was the service. Room was clean and the corner bath was lovely. There was free wi fi which was great but you had to ask for the key. Did struggle a bit with e lock on the door when leaving and entering, and the curtains flew off the rail in the morning as there's no stopper on the end of the track. Overall not a bad stay, but a bit quirky.

Room Tip: Don't have room 15
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank SandyHoyland

Thank you for taking time out to write this review, we sincerely appreciate your kind comments about our service staff and the room. We do apologise about the noise, this was down to a busy night in the bar. We hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 6 February 2013

Stayed here just for one night whilst vising a relative in nearby Rugby Hospital. Was allowed early check in, room was spacious, spotless and comfortable. Staff were extremely helpful and the bar meals were scrummy.

Breakfast the next morning was the best ive ever had, piping hot, just enough, lovely ground coffee and the service was ecellant

Free wifi throughout the hotel - huge bonus

we had quite a few steps to climb to get to our room, those with trouble walking might want to ask for a room on a lowser level

Thanks again, we would certainly stay again xx

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ladypolgara

Thank you for your kind words. The team at the hotel always attempt to maintain the highest standards and we greatly appreciate your feedback. We would love to be of service to you again in the future and truly appreciate your recommendation for other travellers.

Reviewed 3 February 2013 via mobile

Room rather dated but in quite a reassuringly homely way! But big, very clean and everything worked. Shower could do with bring replaced. Downstairs, bar and outside all recently renovated, smart and contemporary- very different from the room. Service was generally very good. Was worried when down for breakfast at 0805 as the young man had clearly just got up and restraint was locked. However a highly competent female staff member arrived at that moment and saved his skin by being a whirlwind of good service. Called a taxi for me to go on my bike ride (why i was in Rugby)and provided a good breakfast. All in all they just about held it together. Would return.

• Stayed: February 2013
2  Thank domingo1878

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking time out to write this review. We appreciate the kind comments about the downstairs of the property. We are working through a refurbishment programme for the rooms so hopefully next time you visit Rugby, you will see the change.

Reviewed 17 October 2012

I stayed in this hotel back in May as it was close to the venue where my sister's wedding was held. I was really disappointed with it. The corridors had a horrible smell of sewage, the bed was rock hard, the shower and sink had black Mold growing and still had the wet residue from the previous guests shower. There were marks all over the walls and the curtains were wonky and falling off. The breakfast was ok-ish, and in the restaurant the walls were filthy and there were pipes and wires on show coming through the walls.
I would really advise that this hotel has another complete renovation, the last one was not good enough!! I didn't feel comfortable at this hotel and would never stay here again, unless it had another re-vamp. Would rather a travel lodge or a holiday inn!!

• Stayed: May 2012