The Grosvenor Hotel
Brownsover Hall Hotel(Rugby)(Great Value!)
US$73
US$96
US$93
US$120
Dunchurch Park(Dunchurch)
US$95
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
All reviewsfusion restaurantclean towelsfrom australiathree course mealgreat showerroom was spaciousrailway stationplenty of parkingone night stay
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Stayed here for one night thank goodness. Hotel smelt of curry all through. Rooms dirty and dilapidated. Shower full of limescale. View from the window was an overgrown and weed strewn garden. Good point was the staff. Excellent and willing to please.

Room Tip: Best room to choose would be another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank lyndamonty
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have eaten and stayed at this hotel a few times recently and was impressed with the new décor especially the new bar area which looks great. The rooms were elegant and comfortable and the hotel was located right in the centre close to the train station. Recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Recommend the beer on tap!
3  Thank 1crew_hss
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I spent 8 nights here on a business trip and must say I was disappointed. Reading previous reviews (while already at the hotel) it is sad to note the only time management responds is when it is positive feedback. That sort of gives an idea on the attitude there.

Lets start with good points. Location was good, as you could walk to the city center. Hotel freshly painted. Breakfast was decent, with apples, cereal ,cold milk and juice on hand and a limited hot breakfast to order which turned out to be tasty. Staff were pleasant enough, although rather lethargic, especially as the day wore on.

Points that need improvement. Front desk not always manned, bell often not answered. More than once I collected my own room key , which means anyone else could too. Don't try check
out at an odd time, settle your bill the night before. No safe in the room for your passport or money, which meant due to lack of security the need to have it with you (most basic hotels even third world countries have a small safe) Tea/coffee in rooms was there, no biscuits though, not on any of the nights I stayed. Cups were mismatched , and probably only rinsed in the bathroom sink, they did not seem to change during the stay. A couple of glasses for water would have made a difference, but that seem too much effort. Housekeeping needs a kick to get moving. One day no housekeeping was done at all, lucky I am in the habit of making my own bed. Two days to change light bulbs , bathroom floor NEVER cleaned( I kept track as there was a dead fly on the floor from day 1until check out) , which makes you wonder do they vacuum carpets? Bedding is changed when? After spilling coffee on the bed, I requested clean sheets,-housekeeping moved the sheet so the stain was now at the foot of the bed and assumed it would not be noticed. Then the bed...three pillows on a double , why? Bed saggy when slept in by two, making for poor sleep.Oh, and thank goodness it was not a romantic get away as the bed squeeks and groans at any movement. The area where most people sit to do shoes up, sagged badly. On inspection at the end of the stay, checking for lose items, I realised the base is damaged there as well.
The hotel is an old building I understand that, but the carpets were washed when? The curtains in the room have faded patches on them , the net is torn. No blind on the bathroom window, yes it does face the sky but it would have been a nice touch. A couple of the stairs seem to be held together by the carpet as they sag badly when walked on in the center . If this was "under the hammer" they would tell you to check it first before buying.Seems a lick of paint is considered refurbishment, to this hotel.
While there the local paper had a two page splurge on the hotel. Whatever money the hotel paid for the cover and the party they threw the week before I arrived would have been better spent on doing up basics.

Oh and wi fi doesn't reach the top level very well so , invest in a 3 G if you plan to stay. Would I stay there again through choice. Most likely not.

10  Thank AbuDhabiExpait v
Reviewed 14 September 2013

Having spent 4 nights in the Grosvenor hotel on business, here is a hotel that can best be described as languishing in the relegation zone of the mediocre league! Bland, dated uninspiring decor in the room, disinterested staff and shoddy housekeeping are what you get for £55 a night B&B.
The same towel I put on the floor after my shower on Monday was still there on Friday, offering a soggy welcome to the bathroom. The shower head dripped all night like some sort of Chinese water torture, keeping me awake. It was mentioned to staff who apparently looked at it that day, decided it was ok, and left it to drip all week long. Small points were overlooked, such as the complimentary biscuits only being replenished on 2 of the 4 nights, and the empty box of tissues was not replaced at all. I know it is minor, but was indicative of the overall level of attention to detail. Oh, and the mattress was 3 inches smaller than the bed base...!?
My 7am wakeup call, requested daily when I checked in, was a knock on the door at 7.05 on the first 2 mornings and not repeated after that.
There was a big function on Thursday night that filled the restaurant and bar area, and I was told I should go and find a local restaurant for dinner that night! (with no recommendation of a suitable venue for a stranger in a strange town....). The following morning when I wanted to have an early breakfast and checkout, I woke and went downstairs at 7.15am to find reception deserted, the hotel doors locked, no breakfast setup in the restaurant, no staff in the kitchen and I wandered all round the "Marie Celeste" through store rooms and halls looking for staff.(Guests should never be allowed to see behind service doors, it's quite shocking!) By 7.30am I had to phone the hotel number and was diverted to some sleepy night porter who told me the morning staff had overslept due to the previous nights function!!! I had to checkout without breakfast and start my day late and hungry. All in all a very poor experience. By the way...just because you put a few curries on the menu, doesn't really mean you can use the word "Fusion" in the restaurant title. Only stay here if you want cheap and don't care about quality.

Room Tip: Find a room without dodgy plumbing...ie in a different hotel!
12  Thank AndyTheLandyMan
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here for one night in August, I had some concerns when I looked at the hotel web page and saw that it had been featured on 'The Hotel Inspector' TV show.

When I arrived it was clear that a recent refurbishment had take place, I was greeted by the chap on reception who gave me my room key, I looked at the room offered and it was well appointed but it was on the front of the building facing the road and only had single glazed windows. I enquired about having a room on the back as I'm a light sleeper and was offered a room at the back on an upper floor.

The room was smaller and the bathroom was gloomy due to low light levels, however the WIFI was good and there was enough space to use my laptop on the desk.

I ate in the restaurant and the food was cooked to a very good standard and the service was okay given that one person was running the bar and restaurant.

My only real gripe was the shower dripped repeatedly and was like chinese water torture, fortunately I could shut the bathroom door and not hear it during the night, so all in all I slept well.

I hope the refurb is going to continue throughout as the room did look a bit tired.

Room Tip: To avoid road noise, ask for a room overlooking the car park.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business