“Couldn't wait to leave to another clean hotel”

Diamond House Hotel
and 1 more site!
Diamond House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 11 Rugby B&B and Inns
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Couldn't wait to leave to another clean hotel”
Reviewed 29 September 2010

On arriving, everything seemed to be closed and used what seemed to be a 'had it's day' bell pull, to which someone eventually opened the door. On entering, the lounge area was opened for us to sign in (this area is closed during the day!) We were shown to our room which was in another building, this room smelt very musty (either damp or had been closed off for a very long time). The room contained a double and a single bed, the bathroom had a shower and toilet with an old pink sink on the outside. It had a desk and old style tv. The furniture looked tatty, but that wouldn't bother us as it was one of the cheapest and most importantly had the location we needed. We unloaded and popped out for some lunch, then back again just for 10 minutes. During this 10 minutes, I sat on the wicker chair and noticed what I thought was a speck of dirt on my white trousers, so I tried to pick it up, when it seemed to 'jump'. I tried again and it jumped two more times and was lost - a flea came to mind. We had to be elsewhere at that point so just picked all our luggage off the floor and left. On our late return, we informed the gentleman, who said he was surprised and would tell the cleaners. We were too tired to look for somewhere else and it was getting late so we stayed the night. Breakfast was full english, but I did find a longish black hair under my bacon (definately not mine) - I didn't say anything about this as by this point I was speechless. We had a quick search on the internet which showed the Grosvenor Hotel (not great either) close by, so paid up for the night at the Diamond and moved out as fast as possible.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
london
Reviewed 25 September 2009

we booked into the diamond house which is in a good location close to Rugby School and literally 2 mins from town centre! parking is easy, internet access available, clean rooms, very good breakfast with cereal and cooked breakfast. room was spacious but shower small, but then again its not a 5 star, cant expect too much. staff were very friendly and helpful, nothing seemed too much for them. value for money!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends
S Wales
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This B&B (definately NOT a hotel) is ideally situated for Rugby School, however, I can honestly say that it is the worst place I have ever paid to stay in. The room was dark & dingey with a concrete wall view. I was immediately depressed the minute I walked through the door and couldnt wait to leave. The worst part about this place was that the bed was not a proper bed. It was a very old matress placed on top of a base that had been hand made out of wooden boards. I was disgusted that this could happen in the UK. I have had a better night's sleeping camping on the ground. It is a disgrace that this hotel charges a minimum of £60 per night for such a poor quality service. NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Taffy6SWales

Travellers are raving about these Rugby hotels

cheshire england
Reviewed 3 January 2008

Very strange hotel, run by and mostly frequented by Chinese. Very basic for price charged, resembled a flop house I'm afraid, and although room was clean I didnt feel at all comfortable. The breakfast was served on a very dirty table cloth and was very poor. I wish I could say something good about it as the gentleman who we dealt with was very nice , but i couldnt recomend it.

• Liked — the location was good for town centre
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
The Carlton Hotel
#1 of 2 in Crick
Draycote Hotel
Draycote Hotel
#6 of 13 in Rugby

Been to Diamond House Hotel? Share your experiences!