“All the wrong values”

Bell at Tanworth in Arden
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“All the wrong values”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

You get the impression this place is far too obsessed with making as much money as possible from its customers rather than offering them a memorable or pleasurable experience. The fact that they've ruined a lovely old pub by fitting it out to look like a cheap student pub (not a trace of original fittings left, replaced by tacky decor and painted in a functional black paint) is maybe a subjective thing - perhaps some people would prefer their pubs to look like they've been decked out by IKEA. What isn't on is the mercenary way the proprietor runs the place. Me and a couple of friends had a breakfast there a few weeks ago; having sat down, a kindly old lady came out of the kitchen and asked us if we wanted toast with it. We said yes. A few minutes later, after the toast had been put on the table and we'd started eating it, the landlord came over to inform us that toast wasn't included in the price and we'd be charged for it! By which point, of course, we had no choice. And for the privilege of 2 slices of toast each (so a total of 3 slices of bread) with butter? SIX POUNDS! A business that is clearly run simply to make money. What a shame.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Charlie W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Poole
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2012

The website gives a very exagerated picture of the Hotel. We looked carefully at the rooms as my Mum is partially sighted. Sadly the rooms were not as bright as depicted, dusty and only had shutters at the windows that fit badly.
I got the impression that it was "too much trouble " staying there, we were not felt very welcome.

We did enjoy the food

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Liz W

Travellers are raving about these Tanworth-in-Arden hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

Our room was very basic, and included a large and very dusty red artificial flower!
It was at the back on the ground floor with louvered shutters that had to be drawn all the time because it was on the path to the carpark. Not a lucky draw, but it was not supposed to be a romantic weekend away, anyway! Given these things, I found it expensive at £85 for the room and breakfast on top and on 'Three in a Bed' would have paid £60! That said the room is quoted on the website at £75 per night, so I think that we were charged for the room we booked originally before changing it to a ground floor room!!!!
Breakfast was excellent and so was lunch the following day. In fact the pub has a very comfortable and enticing bar.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank ros h
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

I booked a table weeks ago for my 30th birthday as we live out in Cyprus and wanted a lovely meal with our family. I was told that this place was lovely.

The food was very nice but my birthday was ruined by the rude and arrogant manner of the proprietor.

Two people in our group received the incorrect order, so we asked if they could remove them from the bill, the waitress said yes. The proprietor came in and informed us he was not going to do that and that they never ordered what they eventually received after we had all finished our meals. I was led to believe that you never argue with a customer....

He eventually agreed to charge a lower price but the way he spoke to us left us shocked and actually one person cried!!

I can honestly say I will never be going back I have never been so upset. Some relatives had driven from Yorkshire to make the meal and we left as soon as the main meals were finished.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank Keekikatz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

The Bell resides in a lovely village with a friendly atmosphere, excellent food and really comfortable stay.
Happily recommend to anyone looking for a nice break or staying on business in the area. Diverse menu, excellent beer selection.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Fareham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

Its over a month since we stayed here but I made notes at the time so here goes-
This pub is in a beautiful traditional village setting and had a really friendly atmosphere as soon as we walked through the door. I'm glad we made a table reservation as it was very busy!
We arrived on a Friday night after a 3 hour trip in heavy traffic and were shown straight to our room. I asked if we could push our table booking back by 30 minutes - no problem. A good choice of real ales on the handpumps and they know how to look after them.
Double baked cheese soufflé for my wife & scallops for me as starters, rare ribeye steak for me & grilled liver for my wife. Portion size, presentation & quality were good. All served on hot plates and cooked to perfection. I always say a good test of a restuarant is whether they can cook your liver pink and here it was perfect - note: pubs who serve pre-cooked boil in the bag meals can't do this!
A good selection of wines sensibly priced so you don't pay more if you order by the glass. Thats great if you like different wines with each course. All the staff who looked after us were very polite and we found the service was very good. We had the Morea room which was very spacious with a great bathroom containing a large oval stand alone bath ans a seperate full sized shower cubical. Loads of storage space, tv & tea / coffee making facilities. The landlord told us the rooms were due for refurbishment soon but I think you would have to look hard to find any fault with our room and it was all very clean throughout. Alot of establishments fail to clean the grouting properly at the bottom of the shower but not here - you could see the job was being done properly. After main course in the restaurant, we were pondering over the desert & cheese choices when the landlord told us about the Friday night offer they were running - order starter, main course & desert each and they will deduct 50% from the room cost. So not only did we enjoy our stay but it was very good value as well. This pub also houses the village post office & sweet shop.
The full English breakfast was excellent with quality locally sourced produce, a large jug of orange juice, doorstep granary toast & refills of proper coffee. Even newspapers are offered.
We found this establishment in the 2011 Michelin eating out in pubs guide as we were looking for a convenient overnight stop for the Good Food show at the NEC next morning. This was ideal as it was only 15 minutes away and we will certainly be staying here again on our next trip to the Lake District.
You may think my review is too positive? Have a look at some of my other reviews - If an establishment is not up to standard then I say so.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Solihull, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Bought a groupon voucher to try out the food which has a supposedly great reputation. After several attempts to book, the manager refused to accomodate us except weekday lunch times, which we we cannot do due to work commitments, his attitude was down right rude, arrogant and uninterested in new customers. Left dumb founded.

Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank James D
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanworth-in-Arden
Hogarths Hotel
#10 of 25 in Solihull
BEST WESTERN PLUS Henley Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Henley Hotel
#2 of 3 in Henley-in-Arden

Been to Bell at Tanworth in Arden? Share your experiences!