“Excellent weekend”

Bell at Tanworth in Arden
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I am somewhat surprised about a few of the reviews. I stayed here the night before my friends wedding, in the honeymoon suite. The room was nice, it was warm, the bathroom was clean and modern, the TV above the bath doesn't work though. As the wedding party took over the pub for the night the pub was very good about food, they were fully booked but fitted us in apologising we would be able till eat till after 9. That was only a 20 minute wait. We did order out breakfast at night and asked for a time but as we had to be up fed and showered for a certain time this was ok. The breakfast was nicely cooked although too much for me, had I have ordered at the table I would have just had poached eggs. I did ask for those but told the lady who was cooking doesn't like doing them, fried eggs are a little to greasy for me. We kept one of the rooms in to store our things and the rooms we vacated the owner/manager allowed early check in for guests arriving at the wedding with the rooms being made up when everyone had gone to the wedding. Big help as people were coming from a far. The village is quiet but beAutiful and I would stay here again. I can't comment on value for the room as it was covered by the lovely bride but the food was good and my steak was cooked perfectly.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Rachael W
There are newer reviews for Bell at Tanworth in Arden

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Recommended the pub with overnight stay to a close family member for a special occasion, they booked and paid online as part of the have a 3 course meal get your room half price offer as recommended by staff over the phone only to be embarrassed on there special occasion by the extremely rude and pretentious manager who said the bell at tanworth on Arden online booking system was their web page but nothing to do with them???? Was loud and very angry with no retaliation from the couple, And they had to pay full price. When I called to provide proof of the offer he was extremely rude, angry, and has no people skills entirely! Actually put the phone down on me twice and called me a liar, Absolutely disgusting service, don't take the website as gospel for the place, menu is different also. Food is mediocre nothing special for the prices at all, don't waste your time!!!

Room Tip: Don't choose one!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Kungfu_cats
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Stayed the night when travelling around on holiday first the positives great food in the evening in a trendy good looking pub with helpful friendly staff but this cannot make up for a room that has obviously never been used by anyone who works or owns the establishment we cannot comment on weather the room was clean or dirty the lighting was so dim you would have no hope of applying any make up. The room we had did not look like any featured on the web site with cheap fixtures broken blinds and a lighting system that for some bizarre reason was controlled by the remote for the TV if staying please remember to bring you own soap etc as none was provided. Another worrying fact was no mattress protectors were in use. The breakfast contrary to the very elaborate mission statement on the marketing blurb was the worst we encountered during our week away. As we were asked to provide our breakfast order before we ordered our evening meal and as our host hovered over us we reluctantly plucked something out of the air as no menu was offered in the morning we realised why the order was so urgent it had been cooked earlier we suspect the night before and reheated when we came down to breakfast we also by the way had to inform them of our preferred breakfast time. So overall the place did not meet our expectations and we for one won't recommend or go back.

Room Tip: Don't go for pogo pogo
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank tabbycatzPoole
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Firstly the food for Sunday lunch was very good indeed. The bar staff on entry were poor t best were not made to feel welcome and I hate to see a barman, albeit young and maybe learning, not offer lime or lemon in drinks and then when you ask him he looks gone out at you then just picks up with hand (there were tongues there) and plonks it in drink(a small but important point re how a bar is run). Food though was very good, roast beef served nicely with veg on side and asked how I would like it cooked.goats cheese tart v good also. I like to leave tip without having the service charge there on the bill and the tt landlord average at best, I follow good pub guide and not sure if worth the lucky dip place for beer but food certainly is worth it. Rest of staff good though.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 101MartinH
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed for a friends party. We were made very welcome and had adjoining rooms with our children. Excellent curry at the 'do', with good real ales too. Hearty breakfast was excellent. Took the time to look at Nick Drake's grave, which is very poignant. Liked the modern decor and open bar look.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 January 2014

I booked a 2 night stay in the Coco Coco Room at £45 a night through Hotels.com. The pub is in a lovely setting in the middle of a beautiful country village. Ate there one night and the food was excellent and reasonably priced - the menu has a good range of choices including pub classics from £9.95. Service was very good as well.
The room was very disappointing - no wi-fi signal, furniture was basic 1980's MFI style, and whilst clean, the room has obviously not been decorated for some time. The bed is only a few inches off the floor so getting out of it effectively meant rolling over onto hands and knees for me! (younger people may not have an issue).
The room wasn't made up after my first night. I asked the landlord and he explained that this was because I had the cheapest rate known as Echo which meant they didn't service the room during a 2 night stay. He said this was clear on the pub website - I've checked and they state that it is an echo rate but don't explain what that means. It wasn't made clear on hotels.com either. I've stayed in much better rooms elsewhere for a rate of £40-£45 a night excluding breakfast so felt that the room really let the place down.
In summary, its a good place to eat, but I'd avoid the coco coco room if stopping there

Room Tip: Avoid the coco coco room
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Nigel G
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The decor inside the building is not what you would expect from the outside. Ultra modern decor with the feel of a trendy Bistro. Decor very interesting although I personally am not sure about the huge picture of a fried egg in a frying pan which dominates one wall! Although not a massive choice on the menu the choices were very interesting but some of the items on the the menu and prices are not the same as depicted on their website. Although I am not a true vegetarian I would have liked a few more vegetarian options. However the food we ordered was beautifully cooked. The price of drinks a little on the high side but what you would expect from this type of restaurant. Staff friendly but one niggle is that ten per cent service charge is automatically added to the bill. I would personally prefer to tip what I think the service and meal deserve - you expect a service charge to be automatically included in London but not in a country eating establishment. Overall an enjoyable first visit.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank JAC446
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tanworth-in-Arden
The Oak Hotel
Arden Hotel & Leisure Club
Old Rectory House
Old Rectory House
#5 of 7 in Redditch

Been to Bell at Tanworth in Arden? Share your experiences!