“Best restaurant in Leicester”
Review of Chef Patron Restaurant - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Chef Patron Restaurant
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Chef Patron's mission is to create an exceptional fine dining experience for you by serving classic yet innovative English food with an eclectic mix from around the globe.
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

Fantastic restaurant the best in leicester. The pigeon starter was divine and opted for the chef patron steak which was amazing and ended with tarte Tatin.
Gutted that it's closing but here they may be opening up at sharnford arms.

2  Thank kgrimley

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I have no idea what the other reviewers on here are talking about, I can only assume that they don't get out much to eat in many restaurants. We went here a few months ago as a party of 8 people for a birthday, this was our first visit here and we had high expectations after all of the amazing reviews. I admit we did go early and didn't go from the a la carte menu, we ate from the price fix menu which was priced at something like 3 courses for £18. A couple of us had a starter of seafood crepe, the bowl it was served in had all of the dried up and burned filling all down the side of the bowl and on to the plate it was served on. The crepe in the middle of the bowl was fine but the edges that were hanging over the edge of the bowl were burned black, there were also bits of shell in the crepe itself. The bowl was red hot so obviously had been ready for some time but they had just stuck it in the oven while other starters were being prepared, hence the burned edges. A few people had the soup to start which wasn't actually like a soup at all, this was more like a gruel, a lumpy and nasty looking concoction, although it did taste ok. A few people had the Spanish tortilla to start which they said was strange and tasteless. The lamb main I had was fine, more of a pub dish than a restaurant dish though, the vegetables were really al dente, I like crunchy vegetables but these tasted like they had only been shown the pan for about 30 seconds, almost raw. I had cheese and biscuits for dessert, this consisted of a massive plate with about 10 crackers and a massive bowl of chutney but unfortunately a piece of cheese about the size of a matchbox. I know we went from the set price menu but this was a joke, either serve it with more cheese or if you are going to put a small piece of cheese on the plate just put a small plate with a few biscuits, it looked ridiculous to serve it as it was.

Apart from the food, the restaurant itself looked like a school dining room, one big room with cheap looking tables and chairs spaced around. The girls serving were really nice but clueless, they bought wrong things to the table, bought us half the starters to the tables but then took them back because the other starters weren't ready to come out. The restaurant didn't have any ambience and was absolutely boiling hot in there, the heat was unbearable, we couldn't wait to get outside for some fresh air. After reading all of these 4* and 5* reviews on here I was expecting a fine dining restaurant but in the end we got average pub food at best. No idea what all of those reviews are all about but the restaurant closing down speaks for itself really. I suppose you can't blame some of the people, there aren't exactly a lot of good restaurants in the vicinity so I suppose they don't have much to compare it to. Out of the 8 people who went for the meal 2 of them thought it was ok and the other 6 didn't like it and said they wouldn't go back, I suppose if that happens quite often that is why they were struggling. I use this comparison quite often in my reviews but this is the sort of place that lasted so long because of it's position, in a area where there are no decent restaurants and pubs so the locals over rate it. If this restaurant was in London or in a foodie place like Bray or Kent it would have been closed down much sooner.

3  Thank Flashbax
Reviewed 4 April 2014

VERY SAD TO HEAR ITS CLOSING DOWN.... A BIG LOSS TO THURLASTON AND SURROUNDING VILLAGES!!

I'm a regular here and would not go anywhere else.. its simply top class food and service all round. My favourite is the sunday carvery! its YUM. I have become very frendly with Kev and Sally and they are both such lovely people like all the staff.. There have been many times that I have been to Chef Patron and i didnt know what I fancied and Kev would suggest foods to me, even ones that were not on the menu and cook them ! Nothing is to much for them.

I took my mother here for mothers day and we all had an excellent time. It was my mums first time here and she could not believe the standard of service and food . Every part of the day was perfect. It was busy (which you would expect for mothers day) but Sally and Kev made time to go around and speak to each table and again all the waiting staff were spot on.

Im hoping the news I Have been told today about this beautiful place being closed down is a late april fools?! I dont know any other restaurants that gives you 100% in all areas ! REAL loss

Reviewed 30 March 2014

We went with my son, daughter in law and granddaughter for mothers day. The carvery looks fantastic but I don't eat meat. They made me a salad of salmon, king prawns, crayfish and huge fresh scallops. It was delicious. The staff are very helpful and polite. My granddaughter (aged 14 months was given turkey and Yorkshire pudding. It was a great meal out. Thank you. We have been before and will go again.

DanielOwens1979, Public Relations Manager at Chef Patron Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Many thanks for a lovely review, really appreciate it. Glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day lunch with us!

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Busy, but we were fore warned. This was our 2nd visit and as with the previous everything merited a review.
The host was charming. The staff extremely helpful and the Chef Kevin superb.
I cannot recommend this restaurant enough.
The menu offers enough choices without overwhelming the reader.
Service is quick, but with a good gap between courses.
The Carvery is served by the Chef at your table.
The desserts (if you have room) are scrumptious.
Remember to book as this is a very popular place.

Glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day lunch, the seafood dish looked lovely! Many thanks for taking the time to write such a lovely review.