“Distinctly average, an expensive PremierInn”
Review of The Belfry

The Belfry
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Stayed here for a conference. Understand they have had a multimillion pound refurb but much still needs attention. My experiences.

I thought there was no hot water but after running taps at full tilt for 5 minutes it started coming through. This recurred in morning.
Wash basin a triumph of form over function and the plug leaked so basin needed continual filling up again.
Swimming pool a minor route march from bedroom and full of signs saying that various access points were all out of action.
Breakfast - it took ages before anyone acknowledged my presence and offered tea or coffee. I was there just after 7am and was one of the few residents in at that time.
Wireless internet free for 30 mins thereafter £15 ! In this day and age criminal.

I'd only stay there if I really had to because of attending an event at the Belfry. Even then it might be better to find a local premier Inn or similar. Not recommended.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Tim L

Thank you for your feedback. I would be interested in obtaining your room number so our maintenance team can take a look at the sink issues, thank you for bringing this to our attention. I would like to apologise for the temporary signage whilst we complete our Leisure facility refurbishments which will be towards the end of May.
Your service issues at breakfast will be forwarded to the team, this is not acceptable of course and again I apologise.
It is disappointing to read that you do not recommend us, I would hope we could change that in the time to come, we really do pride ourselves on our beautiful new hotel and all that we have to offer.

Hope to see you again,
Regards

There are newer reviews for The Belfry

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This is our first visit to the Belfry for Sunday Lunch. We have very mixed feelings about the whole dining experience, Greeted well by staff and seated, beautiful ambience .

The staters were fantastic the food was not only well presented it was also very tasty .
as we were eating our starter i made comment to my wife we have found our sunday lunch venue .

As the starters were fab we were looking forward to our main . I would also like to add the reson in choosing the Belfry for lunch is because my wife is veggie and the Bellfry offer the fish option, after choosing our meats of choice, the veggie part of the meal on the HOT plates / bayer maire, roast potatos were empty so continued to the rest of the veg there was a few minutes between the roasties coming out, once they did i took on board my roasties and was back in my seet to eat as i tucked in to my meal i soon noticed my veg was slightly warm but thought to my self it was the wait for the roasties then once i had tucked in to the roasters and they were only slightly warm i was so disappionted as i had waited for them to come fresh from the kittcen.
At this point i made eye contact with a member of staff and asked for my meal to be reheated in a microwave as i sore no point in replacing from a cold deck, the plate of food was returned and i soon noticed the meal was not the plate of food i chose from the pass the meat was not my choice of all three it was only the beaf . and to add insult to injury the food was still cold . by this time my wife and her mother had finished there meals and i was left feeling very uncomfortable staff returned to the table to see if my meal was ok once i had informed staff, my meal was not the same meal i had sent to be reheated i was told the cheff insisted on replacing the whole meal ... I was dumb founde not only did the cheff put cold food out to the deck he also plated up only slightly warm food and sent direct to the table!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank david k

David k

Thank you for your comments following your Sunday lunch visit. It is disappointing to read the detail in your experience and the Head Chef has received a copy of this to consider. I owe you an apology on behalf of the restaurant as this is an unacceptable, and I hope an isolated occurrence. I will also check with our maintenance team the hot plates and the equipment designed to keep the food at the right temperature.
I hope that we may have the opportunity to turn this around should you return to us again for your Sunday lunch.

With warm regards

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I initially had reservations about staying here for a short golf break because some of these golf resorts can be a little bit stuffy and "up themselves". Nothing could be further from the truth at The Belfry. Normally when I go away I'll find that a couple of the staff stand out as being good or that they actually care about the service they are providing. Not at the Belfry - all the staff I encountered were fantastic. I cant rave enough about the high level of service and sense of being made to feel genuinely welcome. The golf course, as you would expect, was immaculate (and I saw most of it!) and whoever thought of putting the screen and GPS thingy in the buggy is an absolute genius. Is there a down side? No, not really. The room was similar to that of a modern hotel room anywhere in the country and I include premier Inns and Travel lodges in that description. However it done its job and you don't go to places like this to spend hours in your room. If there are any golfers out there that fancy treating themselves to a really good golf course in superb surroundings with amazing staff while having that little sense of occasion, then give The Belfry a go. I'm off to book the next trip there.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

JohnW6

Delighted to read your review and that all aspects of your stay were welcoming to you. We are very proud of both the hotel and the grounds including the golf courses. Thanks indeed for the recommendation and I see we will be welcoming you back again.

Kind regards

Reviewed 8 May 2014

The Belfry has visibly improved since my last stay for business in 2013. However, appearances can be deceiving.

The twin room was clearly recently refurbished and whilst it was a reasonable size for an overnight stay with an excellent shower, the room was like a furnace. Even with the window opened as far as it would go, there was no relief to the unrelenting heat. To make matters worse, the roller blinds failed miserably to keep out the light from the floodlit courtyard. I had probably the worst nights sleep in some time.

You have to question whether a portion of the £26m worth of refurbishment could have been better spent on ensuring that the guest gets a decent nights sleep. I spoke with my colleagues and I was not the only one to experience this.

There was also a delay / shortage of food at lunchtime but by that point, the Belfry had left me cold and - to be frank - in desperate need of sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Markinhants

Thank you for your review. I take note of the bedroom comments and will liaise with our housekeeping staff to enquire about black-out blinds for those particular rooms overlooking the courtyard. The warmer nights can prove somewhat of a challenge and I am sorry for the discomfort you experienced. I am not sure if you had requested a fan with Reception as we are happy to provide these to aid comfort. Should you stay here with us again you can by all means inquire with Reception for an alternative room location.

I hope that you do not feel deterred from a return here to us.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

On Sunday 4th May, we held the little princess charity ball at The Belfry Hotel in the woodlands suite! Georgia was our co-ordinator and she did an amazing job! She helped us get everything together and helped us with the finishing touches within the room! She helped sort the table plan, recommended table decor and lots more! The night could not have come together without her fantastic help leading up to the event!
We were able to access the room on the morning which gave us time to decorate and do everything in plenty of time! The staff were on hand all day when we needed some thing or had any questions!
On the night, we had Sam looking after us and he was brilliant, anything we needed was sorted within seconds and he checked with us through out the night to check everything was okay for us and that we were happy! Happy was an understatement - it could not have gone more perfect!
When we arrived at the venue prior to our guests arriving, we had ruined the table plan in the car, ink had run meaning the names were unreadable! Hugh & Simon took it off us and went and retyped it all up, stuck it all back down and we had a perfect table plan within 20 minutes! That was something that they didn't have to do, it wasn't expected and they just did it! All the staff on the evening were brilliant, the bar staff, waiters, waitresses, everyone was amazing!
The food was delicious, the saying is right when they say it's quality not quantity. When the portions came out you could have said small but the taste was beautiful and everyone was left full at the end. It was certainly the best quality food id tasted!
The whole night was second to none, I couldn't have hoped for it to go any better!
Thankyou so much to all the staff especially Georgia, Sam, Hugh & Simon!

Truly amazing venue and we cannot wait to be back again next year.
Thankyou all for your help!
Chelsie x

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Chelsie T

Wow! What a wonderful review, thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing account. Your experience reads like the perfect offering of both service and product and I am extremely proud of my staff for delivering at this level. Georgia, Sam, Hugh and Simon are all aware of your kind words. This is what we hope to achieve with all of our guests so it is very much appreciated that you took the time to update us.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Brabazon Course excellent

PGA National - neglected excuse of a golf course. I got the impression that the Head Greenkeeper may have visited the course once a week on the way home.

Food, apart from breakfast, was ordinary.

Very good service and friendly staff

Americano Coffee at over £4 per cup - a nonsense

Then I read the piece about the £26m spent on the refurbishment ...........

We will not be returning or recommending it to others.

• Stayed: April 2014
Lynn H, Managing Director at The Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Andy S
Thanks for the very positive on the Brabazon. I was really surprised and sorry to read your review on the PGA National course normally we get great feedback with people liking the challenge of the inland links style which is naturally and intentionally less manicured. It is recognised by the PGA as a world class tournament course and the only PGA branded course in England - I know my Head Greens Keeper will be very disappointed that it was not to your liking.
We have very much tried to create 3 very distinctive courses here at the Belfry- we are really sorry the PGA was not to your liking.
Sorry too that you found it expensive but thank you for your feedback on the warmth of our staff and their service.
We would always love the opportunity to welcome you back.

Sincerely

Lynn Hood
Managing Director

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We have just stayed at the Belfry for a bank holiday treat & OMG this Hotel is a real Gem with a "WOW FACTOR.It's the perfect retreat!!!
Set in 550 acres of North Warwickshire countryside,there are three 18 hole Golf courses enough to keep the Golfing enthusiasts happy all day, This Hotel has also hosted the Ryder Cup.
Beautiful manicured gardens adorn,where you can enjoy the breathtaking scenery with a relaxing drink, set with a pagoda, a working water mill & fountains cascading in the ponds.

This Hotel is tastefully decorated from the reception to the bedrooms, so modern & stylish.
All the Hotel staff are very friendly & work very hard.
The bedrooms are spacious,clean & so comfortable.We were greeted with a bottle of wine in our room on arrival, which was lovely!!
Dining in the Ryder Grill is a real must the food is plentiful & so delicious & breakfast is a real feast in itself with an excellent choice & the Belfry Bangers are so tasty.
The Belfry club is a must do when you stay with a large pool area, comfy sunbeds, jacuzzi's,sauna & a spa.There is also an excellent Bel Air Nightclub situated on the Hotel grounds.
There is an excellent car park with ample space outside the Hotel grounds.
This Hotel is an ideal base for Birmingham airport.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Belfry & look forward to our return visit in the future as it is an amazing Hotel The best we have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank DELAWYN
Lynn H, Manager at The Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Delawyn

Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel following your stay. “WOW factor” is indeed our intention so delighted that we have hit the mark with you and that all aspects of the refurbishment and grounds were met with your approval. In addition thank you for your positive feedback around your dining experience here, along with the leisure facilities and Bel Air, it appears you enjoyed it all and I see you have mentioned a return soon;
We look forward to welcoming you back,

Best wishes,
Lynn

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#8 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!