“Faulty Towers”
Review of The Belfry

The Belfry
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
Reviewed 29 May 2014

On returning from Wales last weekend to Hertfordshire, we booked a overnight stay at The Belfry.
Not being a golfer myself, I was however keen to visit one of the famous golf hotels in the world. My wife booked dinner bed and breakfast. Checking in was straight forward, nothing special but was told on arrival that our meal reservation was fo 20 minutes after we checkd in. Impossible my wife said and the receptionist with difficulty put our meal back by 30 minutes. Our room it has to be said was a pleasant room. We went down to dinner and in this very large restaurant there were 4 or 5 tables occupied. What was the rush we thought. The waitress offered us a special menue as it was inclusive in our booking. A very poor menue with very little choice. We ordered 2 gin and tonics and bottled water. We sat and watched other diners sit and wait for very young untrained staff to serve the drinks and food that failed to turn up. After an hour I was served with burnt duck and "baked means" and my wife served with with luke warm fish etc. which she returned, by the time her meal arrived reheated I had finished my meal, just as the gin and tonics arrived. We were told not to worry as they were free of charge. In the meantime all the diners aroud us were getting more angry. We left without finishing our dogs dinner. We returned to our room to find that bottled water had not been supplied. I went to reception to ask for water and after 5 minutes was told "water is free only in the super de luxe rooms, and I would have to pay £4 per bottle. On complaining I was given a bottle from the bar without charge.

The hotel is the worst I have visited for service and food as members of staff are not trained either to take orders from guests nor are they able to get managers to assist them when things go horribly wrong.

This hotel has visitors from all over the world and I would like to say "thank goodness I know of no other hotel like this in the UK

ch

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, it was rather noisy outside
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leslie w
Lynn H, Manager at The Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Leslie w

I was of course extremely sorry to read of your poor dining experience in our Ryder Grill. I have taken it back to the restaurant manager, and our Chef.
I would like to highlight that we do have a number of new young staff being trained and i extend apologies for how this affected your evening. Overall I am very sorry you did not enjoy yourselves, we have recently had many positive comments for our Ryder Grill restaurant and it is a shame you do not have this same experience.
Regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Belfry as part of a group for the weekend. The hotel staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were a good size and comfortable. We needed to swap rooms on arrival and I always think the mark of a very good hotel is how they handle such problems on a busy weekend. For that they would get 5 stars.. Excellent service and very helpful staff.
Breakfast probably one of the best self-service breakfasts ever. Good quality, hot and plentiful and a good choice. The young ladies who showed us to our table were brilliant! Hats off to The Belfry for giving equal job opportunities to less-abled people. It was lovely to see.
The reason I have had to mark them down (really only half a star) was the quality of the food at our black tie event. The lamb was a bit too fatty and the ratatouille was over-cooked and oily. The pudding was sickly sweet and the cheese board (of which there had been no mention, but was gratefully received) arrived after the coffee!
Overall - 4 and a half stars.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear NewFran

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. As a ‘non-golfer’ your thoughts are appreciated and I would like to express thanks for your kind words overall. I see that the food element is where we fell short a little in your eyes and I have taken this back to the Head Chef so thanks again for this. I hope that we can get our ‘half star’ back in the very near future should you return to us.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for a family break and unfortunately were not told that the spa was closed for refurbishment. The hotel very kindly compensated for this with a complimentary afternoon tea which was delicious and the service was fantastic.

The hotel refurbishment is excellent, really attention to detail and the Ryder restaurant provided us with quality breakfast and dinner for two nights.

The rooms are spacious and decorated to a very high standard with comfortable beds. The staff are exceptionally attentive making for a very enjoyable stay.

The only thing that lets this hotel down and unfortunately for us it's important is the lead sure facilities. In the ladies changing rooms three of the hair dryers were out of order, the sauna and steam room were all broken and you have to pay to get access to the fire and ice experience.it just meant that after a swim there is nothing more to offer by way of leisure facilities really.

The gym however is very good.

Overall a very enjoyable stay I just hope the leisure facilities get an overhaul soon

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear Tommkel

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your visit. It was disappointing to read that the leisure facilities were functioning on so little and sincerely apologise for this, we are working towards these issues to re-instate them, and I have fed back to our maintenance department on the broken items mentioned.

I am glad to note however that all other aspects of your stay were enjoyable to you and I hope that you will be returning to us very soon.

Reviewed 26 May 2014

After the multi million pound refurbishment, we were expecting the wow factor, I'm sorry to say that it missed on quite a few levels!! We arrived to a lovely reception from the staff and they were very professional and friendly. We had upgraded to a superior room which entitled us to robe and slippers, mineral water, fruit and chocolate. Nice! We spent most of the first day chasing our robe and slippers so we could go to the spa. We knew the treatment rooms hadn't opened yet but we were led to believe by the website that the steam and the sauna were open, another disappointment they weren't!
Although they had spent loads of money on the refurb, I felt they had spent the money in the wrong areas, there was still no air con in the bedrooms, just a chundering noisy radiator that didn't even get warm! No heated towel radiator to the bathroom so damp towels this morning and the room was very dark. The curtain fabric was too chunky so enclosed the window it making it even more dark.
Again chased the superior package for our rooms.......fruit which turned out to be 3 Granny Smiths apples, chicks and 2 small bottles of water.
The website is misleading, someone needs to update with honesty, the marketing department want shooting!!
The girls on reception were fab along with Abbie who was most understanding and empathetic to our grumbles, a bottle of Prosecco on the house quickly appeared which was most appreciated. Don't get me wrong we had a lovely weekend breakfast was yummy but priorities of the spending of the refurb budget was put in the wrong places, staff were great when you grumbled but it missed the mark and they were not ready in the first place. I just hope it is teething problems in the first few weeks, they really need to step up to the plate, we did get our upgrade payment refunded. Thank you x

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mary T

Thank you for your review. How disappointing to read though that what should have been a seamless arrangement for your upgrade extras, was not. I assure you that this information is with our Housekeeping department to review the ‘whys?’ and ‘hows?’, along with website checks via Marketing for accuracy. I am sorry for the discomfort of a warm room, we do have fans in every room to aid comfort. I take on board your further comments regarding décor and the light, thank you.
I have made Abbie aware of your lovely comments it is always pleasing to read that our staff have endeavoured to rectify matters.
Overall I hope that you felt you enjoyed your stay here with us.

Lynn

Reviewed 26 May 2014

me and 3 friends came to the belfry as a over night stay with breakfast with 2 games of golf , staff were very welcoming and friendly , i stayed in room 2209 which was a very smart room but not to posh.when we arrived we had an unscheduled breakfast (full english with toast, no drinks no jam) , it was a set one and cost £10.95.we played golf on the pga course which was brilliant and well kept , but beware off the water and extra long grass ( TAKE PLEANTY OF EXTRA BALLS )when we returned to the hotel we had coffees at £5.50 each and bottles of stella at £5.50 each quite expensive i think. we ate out at a indian in tamworth called champagne EXCELLENT ( 6 MILES AWAY ) on returning we had a night cap of 2 colas and 2 x double malt whiskeys that cost £36.00 in total which we think is well over priced as is the coffees and beer . next morning we had the all you can eat breakfast , cereals , fruit , fruit juices , yoghurt , all excellent . then we played the derby course which we all preffered , all in all an excellent hotel and stay , just a bit priceyfor drinks , i would say take an none drinking mate and drink elseware...

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear FLASHCT2950

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It seems you all had a great stay and enjoyed the hearty breakfast. I take on board your comments around pricing, and did calculate the malt whiskey and cola pricing from the menu which came in significantly less. If you do feel you have been wrongly charged I would be happy to hear from you further to discuss.

I hope that this did not detract from the overall positive elements of your stay with us and that we may be seeing you and your party again soon.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

My friend and I came here for a weekend spa break. The cost was £120 for a double room with dinner.
I had previously not given the Ryder grill a great review but the second visit changed my opinion.
We arrived and were taken to our newly refurbished room - really lovely with a view of the course from an enormous balcony (it was too cold to sit on it!).
We ordered a fabulous Afternoon Tea with champagne. It was amazing with macaroons and delicate sandwiches.
Dinner was fabulous; well cooked with attentive service.
We Had a lovely relaxing weekend here. The service is excellent and the refurb has made is a delightful hotel to stay in for a pleasant weekend

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear elfiemarden

Thank you for your review. Delighted to read that we have redeemed ourselves with your second Ryder Grill experience, in addition that overall you had a ‘fabulous’ dinner and Champagne afternoon tea.

It really is a pleasure to read when our guests leave our property having had a truly enjoyable stay.

Hope to see you again soon,

Best wishes,

Reviewed 22 May 2014

It was a business meeting arranged for our company's national sales conference that included overnight accommodation with evening meal, breakfast and lunch.
The hotel is situated in beautiful surroundings and boasts some fine scenery as well as having a top class golf course that is world renowned.
Ample car parking greeted me on arrival and checking in was a breeze with the staff only too eager to help me. The room was very comfortable and I enjoyed the leisure facilities including a gym and spa.
The bar area is enticing and the decor is outstanding leaving you in an atmosphere of awe and comfort.
I can't say anything wrong here or suggest room for improvement as the Belfry seems to have it all. Our conference suite was roomy and comfortable with adequate air conditioning and my whole time there was a pleasure to behold.
Needless to say I will no doubt be returning there in the future.
Keep up the good work.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jay S

Lovely to read your review, thank you. It was pleasing to note that you feel, ‘we have it all’, I certainly do hope so. Your comments from start to finish were fantastic to read, and I would be very keen to get in touch with you if you would be kind enough to drop me an e-mail directly (lynn.hood@thebelfry.com)

Kind regards

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
#8 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Drayton Manor Hotel
Drayton Manor Hotel
#3 of 11 in Tamworth

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!