“Girlie weekend”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Girlie weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

Wow the Belfry have spent a lot of money upgrading the hotel, and it shows. It is a fantastic place to go. Staff from concierge to reception to bar staff to waitress staff was impeccable. Nothing seemed too much trouble for any of them, and they all looked very happy to be working there.
Had Fire & Ice treatment on Saturday that was so nice, again the staff were very nice.
Sat at hole 10 to have a coffee and watch the folders tee off the Ballesteros tee.
I would recommend this package to anyone.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Joyce D

Thank you for your recent review. It was so nice to read that your time here was enjoyed and that the staff along with the hotel come together for an overall positive experience. We are constantly working hard with our employees to ensure our guests leave the property having had a great time here with us. Our Fire & Ice experience has recently been refurbished and I am so glad to hear that you had a fantastic experience.

I hope you will be back soon,

Kind regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Turkish first
Halifax UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

£175 per night, then an extra £15 for internet access.
No bottled water or biscuits in the room on the complementary tray.
This paper napkins at breakfast and generally over priced bar charges.
The corridors in the outer buildings also need a good clean.
If you are spending your own money and don't need to stay here for the golf etc, why not look elsewhere. Moxhull Hall, New Hall, Moor Hall for example.
These all offer a more all round service with cheaper rates.

I would only go back to The Belfry if I had no other choice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeTHalifax
MikeTHallifax

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am sorry that you feel the price point is misplaced, we do feel that our newly refurbished hotel, along with it’s enhanced products and services reflects The Belfry and our £26m investment. It is disappointing you found the public areas below an acceptable standard of cleanliness, we have designated housekeepers in these areas to keep our brand new environment in the best possible condition. I of course take on board your thoughts and would hope that you will not be away too long.

With best wishes
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Arrived in the car park to be greeted by a member of staff who took my luggage and golf clubs straight from my car. I was reunited with my clubs on the back of a buggy on the first tee, and my luggage was in my room after my round. The Brabazon is just the stuff of legend! The 26 million pound facelift shows everywhere, the bedrooms have had face lifts and the public areas are stylish and modern. Meeting rooms everywhere, the place is seriously corporate, with the bar being full of expense account types. Breakfast ok, if not spectacular

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Mike B

Thank you very much for your recent review. It is all I could want as MD to read that what we are working to achieve is actually translating to our guests and their experience. Fantastic!
Please come back soon.

Best wishes
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

On returning from Wales last weekend to Hertfordshire, we booked a overnight stay at The Belfry.
Not being a golfer myself, I was however keen to visit one of the famous golf hotels in the world. My wife booked dinner bed and breakfast. Checking in was straight forward, nothing special but was told on arrival that our meal reservation was fo 20 minutes after we checkd in. Impossible my wife said and the receptionist with difficulty put our meal back by 30 minutes. Our room it has to be said was a pleasant room. We went down to dinner and in this very large restaurant there were 4 or 5 tables occupied. What was the rush we thought. The waitress offered us a special menue as it was inclusive in our booking. A very poor menue with very little choice. We ordered 2 gin and tonics and bottled water. We sat and watched other diners sit and wait for very young untrained staff to serve the drinks and food that failed to turn up. After an hour I was served with burnt duck and "baked means" and my wife served with with luke warm fish etc. which she returned, by the time her meal arrived reheated I had finished my meal, just as the gin and tonics arrived. We were told not to worry as they were free of charge. In the meantime all the diners aroud us were getting more angry. We left without finishing our dogs dinner. We returned to our room to find that bottled water had not been supplied. I went to reception to ask for water and after 5 minutes was told "water is free only in the super de luxe rooms, and I would have to pay £4 per bottle. On complaining I was given a bottle from the bar without charge.

The hotel is the worst I have visited for service and food as members of staff are not trained either to take orders from guests nor are they able to get managers to assist them when things go horribly wrong.

This hotel has visitors from all over the world and I would like to say "thank goodness I know of no other hotel like this in the UK

ch

Room Tip: We were on the first floor, it was rather noisy outside
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank leslie w
Dear Leslie w

I was of course extremely sorry to read of your poor dining experience in our Ryder Grill. I have taken it back to the restaurant manager, and our Chef.
I would like to highlight that we do have a number of new young staff being trained and i extend apologies for how this affected your evening. Overall I am very sorry you did not enjoy yourselves, we have recently had many positive comments for our Ryder Grill restaurant and it is a shame you do not have this same experience.
Regards
Brill, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at the Belfry as part of a group for the weekend. The hotel staff were very welcoming and nothing was too much trouble. The rooms were a good size and comfortable. We needed to swap rooms on arrival and I always think the mark of a very good hotel is how they handle such problems on a busy weekend. For that they would get 5 stars.. Excellent service and very helpful staff.
Breakfast probably one of the best self-service breakfasts ever. Good quality, hot and plentiful and a good choice. The young ladies who showed us to our table were brilliant! Hats off to The Belfry for giving equal job opportunities to less-abled people. It was lovely to see.
The reason I have had to mark them down (really only half a star) was the quality of the food at our black tie event. The lamb was a bit too fatty and the ratatouille was over-cooked and oily. The pudding was sickly sweet and the cheese board (of which there had been no mention, but was gratefully received) arrived after the coffee!
Overall - 4 and a half stars.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear NewFran

Thank you for your review following your recent stay here with us. As a ‘non-golfer’ your thoughts are appreciated and I would like to express thanks for your kind words overall. I see that the food element is where we fell short a little in your eyes and I have taken this back to the Head Chef so thanks again for this. I hope that we can get our ‘half star’ back in the very near future should you return to us.

With best wishes,
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

We stayed for a family break and unfortunately were not told that the spa was closed for refurbishment. The hotel very kindly compensated for this with a complimentary afternoon tea which was delicious and the service was fantastic.

The hotel refurbishment is excellent, really attention to detail and the Ryder restaurant provided us with quality breakfast and dinner for two nights.

The rooms are spacious and decorated to a very high standard with comfortable beds. The staff are exceptionally attentive making for a very enjoyable stay.

The only thing that lets this hotel down and unfortunately for us it's important is the lead sure facilities. In the ladies changing rooms three of the hair dryers were out of order, the sauna and steam room were all broken and you have to pay to get access to the fire and ice experience.it just meant that after a swim there is nothing more to offer by way of leisure facilities really.

The gym however is very good.

Overall a very enjoyable stay I just hope the leisure facilities get an overhaul soon

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Dear Tommkel

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your visit. It was disappointing to read that the leisure facilities were functioning on so little and sincerely apologise for this, we are working towards these issues to re-instate them, and I have fed back to our maintenance department on the broken items mentioned.

I am glad to note however that all other aspects of your stay were enjoyable to you and I hope that you will be returning to us very soon.

Northampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

After the multi million pound refurbishment, we were expecting the wow factor, I'm sorry to say that it missed on quite a few levels!! We arrived to a lovely reception from the staff and they were very professional and friendly. We had upgraded to a superior room which entitled us to robe and slippers, mineral water, fruit and chocolate. Nice! We spent most of the first day chasing our robe and slippers so we could go to the spa. We knew the treatment rooms hadn't opened yet but we were led to believe by the website that the steam and the sauna were open, another disappointment they weren't!
Although they had spent loads of money on the refurb, I felt they had spent the money in the wrong areas, there was still no air con in the bedrooms, just a chundering noisy radiator that didn't even get warm! No heated towel radiator to the bathroom so damp towels this morning and the room was very dark. The curtain fabric was too chunky so enclosed the window it making it even more dark.
Again chased the superior package for our rooms.......fruit which turned out to be 3 Granny Smiths apples, chicks and 2 small bottles of water.
The website is misleading, someone needs to update with honesty, the marketing department want shooting!!
The girls on reception were fab along with Abbie who was most understanding and empathetic to our grumbles, a bottle of Prosecco on the house quickly appeared which was most appreciated. Don't get me wrong we had a lovely weekend breakfast was yummy but priorities of the spending of the refurb budget was put in the wrong places, staff were great when you grumbled but it missed the mark and they were not ready in the first place. I just hope it is teething problems in the first few weeks, they really need to step up to the plate, we did get our upgrade payment refunded. Thank you x

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Mary T

Thank you for your review. How disappointing to read though that what should have been a seamless arrangement for your upgrade extras, was not. I assure you that this information is with our Housekeeping department to review the ‘whys?’ and ‘hows?’, along with website checks via Marketing for accuracy. I am sorry for the discomfort of a warm room, we do have fans in every room to aid comfort. I take on board your further comments regarding décor and the light, thank you.
I have made Abbie aware of your lovely comments it is always pleasing to read that our staff have endeavoured to rectify matters.
Overall I hope that you felt you enjoyed your stay here with us.

Lynn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
New Hall Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,034 reviews
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,546 reviews
Moxhull Hall
Moxhull Hall
#1 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfield
Ramada Birmingham Sutton Coldfie...
#9 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
3.0 of 5 bubbles 1,407 reviews

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!