“One minor problem”
Review of The Belfry

The Belfry
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

I booked a golf day for 3 friends. We stayed Thursday evening and the played Friday. Since my last visit the referb is excellent. We stayed in the Ballesteros rooms, lovely inside, decor was modern and a classy feel..... Yes it's warm but not uncomfortable... A fan is provided if needed. The breakfast is excellent, great choice and the dining area is lovely. Drinks are pricey...but they have to get money in some way. But I have a complaint which I've passed to the belfry regarding a comment made by a member of staff..... Won't pass judgement until the have had a chance to respond but just spoilt our time there..... 4 stars for the hotel.....disappointed with a member of staff who should know better.

Stayed: July 2014

Dear BERRY-FAMILY

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review and provide comments that you found the hotel, golf, refurb and food all excellent.

Aside from this however I note that you did have a somewhat disappointing encounter with a member of staff which I believe is resolved via my office and I hope you are comfortable with this now. I would like to offer my apologies for this.
I am also advised that you are looking at a potential return back to us which we hope very much that you will. If I could ask that you book directly with us so we are aware of any return via kelly.dunkley@thebelfry.com

We hope to see you soon.

There are newer reviews for The Belfry

Reviewed 25 July 2014

I played 2 of the courses at this resort (The PGA National and The Brabazon), The courses are not bad although the bunkers can do with some more sand. The accommodation however can be improved upon. The rooms are rather small and the amenities equal that of a dormitory

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Spirodesi

Thank you for your review, we appreciate all feedback from our guests and I will make sure the Golf Course Director is aware that you found the bunkers sand levels a little low. I am sorry the rooms did not meet expectation, we have had some fantastic comments post refurbishment, but fully accept that everyone has different views.

I hope that you are not deterred from a return.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

My fiancé and I stayed over on the secret escapes package that we found online. It was £99 for a night in a superior room, a 2 course meal on a set menu and with breakfast included in the morning. Now don't get me wrong, for that price, it was great value. However, unfortunately, I found a few things that really let this down.
Firstly, I will say the front of the hotel is beautiful and the reception looks stunning. The public areas are very nice and kept clean. When we entered our room we initially thought it was great.
We then went for our meal at the Ryder Grill. We were greeted by a friendly face and shown to our table. Drinks taken and we were given our set menus. I think it was a choice of 3 starters, 3 mains and 3 desserts, although there may have been more choices on the mains.
Upon seeing the starters, I wasn't too excited, they sounded lovely but each had things in that I cannot stand. We asked the waitress (who was very pleasant) if we could look at the ala carte menu and pay extra to have choices from there, to which we had a reply that she had asked her manager this question before and we couldn't! Really surprising considering we could have ended up choosing off the main menu and spending a good 50/60 pounds.
Anyway, we ordered our food and the starter I chose was lovely and so was the meal.
With the price addition added for the 2 steaks, a large sparkling water and 2 bottles of pear Magners the bill was around £35. I couldn't help but laugh at paying £5.95 for a bottle of cider, but, I do appreciate you pay more at a higher standard of restaurant. It is still to much though.
After a nice meal we headed back to our room and decided to sit on the patio. Upon drawing the curtains we were greeted by a 'bodge lock' on the sliding doors. Once we stepped outside we were greeted by a pristinely kept golf course with a sun set, it was marvellous. Then we went to sit down but had to wipe our chairs first because they were filthy. The patio looks as if it was last cleaned years ago and there were loose leaves and 'nub ends' either side of it. Just because it is England does not mean the outside of your room shouldn't be cleaned. As I said to my fiancé, when we paid to go to a 5 star hotel in Egypt (which would probably go as a 4star in England) you would hit the roof if the balcony and chairs weren't presentable. It shouldn't be any different in this country!
The room had no air conditioning and if you want Wifi it will cost you £15 for 24hours. Now bear in mind had we not been on a package it would cost a hard earned £240 a night there, so to have to pay for Wifi, at that price is ludacris.
Now, let me state I am not shy to paying more money when it is justified. We have been to the Crowne Plaza at Marlow and had a deluxe room at what some would say a high price per night which was fantastic and worthy of every penny. Compare this hotel to that and you could run a mile on the difference in standards.
To charge such money, you have to make sure every detail is covered. You can't be 4star in most places then 1 in other aspects.
Overall, was good for the price but would not pay full price unless they work on their attention to detail.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Alzc385

Dear Alzc385

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. The Secret Escapes package has been a huge success and we feel confident that it is a competitive rate currently within the marketplace.

Your very kind words are much appreciated and I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel, reception, meal and your bedroom itself. The feedback regarding your patio furniture was naturally disappointing to read and I find it unacceptable, I am sincerely sorry about this and I have alerted the department responsible to action.

Our WiFi offering was significantly enhanced during our refurbishment and the quality in speed is of a standard we believe is not always experienced elsewhere in complimentary spaces. I note your further comments regarding the attention detail and this is something we are always looking to address of course and take on board your thoughts, thank you.

I hope that we will be seeing you again and that the positives from your visit are what you have taken home with you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

Stayed in a ground floor superior room (1507) looking out onto The Brabazon course.
Excellently appointed room with on-suite shower, both nicely decorated and finished to a high standard. Additionally, included a patio area accessible from the room.
Eat breakfast and dinner in the Riders Grill, all four visits was excellent, good quality food with nice menu variety.
The hotel like the superior room was excellently appointed, decorated and finished to a high standard.
Being non-golfers, didn't care much for the golf, however, clearly the golfing aspect of The Belfry is class leading. I didn't feel left out by being a non-golfer in the hotel.
I'm sure my wife would've made use of the spa, however, the previous weekend she already had a spa "treat".
All the staff was friendly, professional and efficient.
If the opportunity to stay at The Belfry comes along again I would book again without hesitation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear KMorgan2014

Thank you very much for your review, including the detail in your bedroom, and your Ryder Grill dining experience throughout your stay. It is extremely encouraging to read that as a non-golfer you still felt as welcome here as any of our guests, and even more pleasing to read that your staff encounters were professional and efficient. Fantastic!

Delighted to read that you would like to return to us in the future.

Come back soon.

Kind regards

We stayed at the Belfry Tuesday for 3 days
when we arrived they scan your bank card and then hold on to £50 per night which then takes upto 10 days to go back into your bank. they charge you £10 per day for wifi which you need as the 4g reception is terrible.
there is NO air conditioning so in the current weather the rooms were unbearable. if you stayed in the lodge there were ceiling fans but these didn't make much difference
if you were staying in the lodge the shower water was beige and smelt of cats urine, not a pleasant experience not just my room others were the same in the lodges.
massive queues in the restaurant during breakfast and lunch.
the tea and coffee was not replaced I had 1 english breakfast bag for 3 days
the shower gel was not replaced so no shower gel on 2nd day. some of my friends rooms had a strong smell of paint.
all in all the price of the hotel was definatly not reflected in the service etc.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Kay B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It was naturally disappointing to read that you felt let down. I will have our maintenance team investigate the water quality within the lodges, this is the first feedback of this nature that I am aware of and will have it investigated. I am sorry for the wait at breakfast and lunch, it is difficult to assess when people will chose to come down to eat as it is free seating for breakfast service.

I am sorry overall that you felt dismayed by your visit we would hope that should you return we would have the opportunity to restore your faith in us.

I hope we may see you again in the future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was put in 'Torrence' and kept awake the first night by the drone of some machinery outside my window. Then at 5am I was awoken by a phone call on my room phone from reception which was a wrong number. The phone was the other side of the room so I had to get out of bed to answer it. Then at 7am the gardener started work outside my window and though he was working quietly, he had his radio handset up so loud I could hear the conversations of other staff talking to each-other. I complained about being woken up unnecessarily at 5am and about the noise and was moved to 'Lichfield' for the second night where I was kept awake by staff loading a vehicle until midnight.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mary P

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay. There are a few points in your feedback that I will need to take back and investigate, for example, I believe the grounds staff are on a 8am noise curfew and will look further into this but offer my immediate apologies, along with the mistaken phone call from our front of house staff. It does seem that there was much activity taking place at hours that are not authorised for noise and will look deeper into this.

I offer our apologies and should you wish to get in touch with my EA Kelly.dunkley@thebelfry.com we would welcome direct contact.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights as my daughter was getting married next day at Shustoke Barn.

Just double check your booking before you arrive though as when I arrived at 10 am I found I was at totally different end of the hotel to my daughter who was getting married next day. Got to say though management made sure the error was rectified and upgraded me free of charge and put me in room 1505 overlooking tee 1 view was awesome. Thank you for sorting this.

Please note though if you book standard room like my son it had no air con and it was so hot and the hotel had run out of fans so because of the rubbish room they had been given which also overlooked a generator again the reception staff managed to move him nd upgrade his room.

Breakfast was awesome with plenty of choice and staff very polite.

My daughter had Belfry suite which was out of this world and more like an apartment. Just wonderful.

My tip go on DeVere website as they always have offers on and I found them cheaper than booking through booking.com.

I had a deluxe manicure a and pedicure which was nice, but I have to say I have had better for half the price.

Also WiFi reception in rooms poor.

Overall though a wonderful time had by all.

Room Tip: Wouldn't book a standard room as no air con and usually overlooking car park. Request golf vi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Minilegsy1
Lynn H, Manager at The Belfry, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Minilegsy1

Thank you for your review and the detail contained within. I am pleased that you feel matters were resolved well when they came up. I am sorry to read you were a little underwhelmed with your manicure/pedicure – I wonder if there is more specific feedback that you could provide us with so we may improve?

I am glad to see that overall you had a good time here with us and it was good to learn that you found the best deal directly on our website, I should note with you that we are no longer under the De Vere portfolio.

I do hope you will come back soon.

Kind regards
Lynn Hood

Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#8 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!