“Absolutely corking”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Wishaw
York, United Kingdom
“Absolutely corking”
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We visited the Belfry on a Trip Advisor deal of £99 / night DDB plus a round of golf and a spa treatment. We stayed two nights and so doubled up on the extras.

This hotel is astounding in parts and has quite the best reception bar area in any hotel we have been in. It was a treat to visit this international hotel even though there were some issues which were at odds with the sheer quality of the rest of the hotel. For instance we had an executive room and the sink in the bathroom was so tiny that it was virtually unusable for anything other than rinsing your hands.

The pool was good but not as good as some we have been in.

These points do not detract from a very pleasing stay and even with the drinks nibbles and other bits the cost was less than £260. It was probably the best value holiday deal we have ever had.

The Ryder restaurant was self service style but the food was v good and it was eat as much as you want. There is an a la carte option but it was a bit pricey and frankly the other food was so varied that it would have been an indulgence to have gone alc.

Whilst there we visited Buzzard Valley winery which is 15 min drive. This is very quirky and had some very interesting alcoholic drinks and other deli type ephemera for sale. The food was wholesome and you will not leave hungry.

Room Tip: Some rooms have very small sinks in bathrooms.
Dear Kepwick W

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your stay here with us. Another great promotional offer I can see, and am happy even more so to learn that whilst here you found the hotel reception and Ryder Grill ‘astounding’. Equally I do appreciate the further balanced detail in your review.

Your local off-site winery day trip sounds fantastic. I do hope that you will keep us in mind for a return visit.

Best wishes,
Lynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Turkish first
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights on a dinner, bed and breakfast deal. The first night was a Sunday and dinner was a carvery. The food was excellent but could have been hotter. On Monday evening, dinner was not as good as the carvery and again could have been hotter. Breakfast was very good on both mornings though Monday was far, far busier than Tuesday.

We loved our room but were surprised that there is no drawer space. Later on both evenings, we found another problem. We were the last room before entering Sam's Bar and directly opposite the toilets. The noise from the 3 doors banging was a bit annoying.

We used the pool which was good but were disappointed that the steam room was not working. Can't understand why the two jacuzzis can't work at the same time. One switches on and the other turns off!!

My wife had a massage but it was not as good as she had hoped. This is sounding very negative but please don't read it that way. I have stayed here before it was refurbished and it is far better now. The staff work hard, are very cheerful and willing to help. The hotel and its grounds are beautiful and I have taken some lovely pictures. The deal we had was great value for money and we will return again.

Dear Hibby

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review following your visit.

The Secret Escapes deal has been extremely successful and it is great to see the comments coming back from those enjoying the offer.

I take note of the food temperature feedback thank you and will raise this with the Kitchens team. Likewise I will take on board further constructive comments and appreciate that they are a balanced view regarding your wife's massage. The fact you enjoyed yourselves overall and that you plan to return leaves me hopeful. Excellent.

Many thanks once again and we look forward to seeing you both soon.

Lanzarote, Spain
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We stayed for two nights for a wedding in July.
After a very long drive we waited for the family room we had booked.
I traveled with my husband and 2 disabled children age 5 and 7 years.
The booking in itself was very very slow.
We were then shown to the tiniest double room I've ever seen in a hotel.
Obviously a mistake had been made and we spent over an hour sat in reception as they were apparently completely booked.
We were eventually given 2 adjoining rooms instead of the family room we paid for and the staff couldn't have been more unhelpful on reception.
Very unimpressed and unhappy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kerry210
Dear Kerry210

Thank you for taking the time to complete a TA review.

It saddens me to read not only your booking experience, but also the disappointing service you encountered whilst here. I have sent this feedback over to our Front of House team and also our Resort Desk as I want to better understand why were not more helpful and accommodating. In addition if I may offer my sincerest apologies to you and your family.
I can reassure you that this would not happen again; we are more than capable of accommodating your room needs and I offer you my assurances that we can make amends. If you would like to reach out to me directly then please do so.

Yours sincerely
Lynn Hood
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel 11th August 2014 to 13th August 2014. The booking was made via Secret Escapes, the first time that we had ever used this site. Prior to the booking I read a number of reviews on TripAdvisor and was a bit concerned about some of the comments that were posted. Can I just say to anyone thinking of booking this hotel you will not regret it as it was a fantastic experience.
Me and my wife arrived at 1.00 pm .which was 2 hours before booking in time. We were met by Amy and Becky who were both exceptionally helpful, friendly, polite and a credit to the hotel. As we were early, the room was not ready however Amy made arrangements for our room to be given priority attention. She also arranged complimentary tea and coffee, provided us with a plan of the hotel and a booklet of vouchers for us to use during our stay.
After a beautiful cup of tea we were shown to our room [2226]. The room was immaculate and ideally positioned opposite the 1st tee of the Brabazon course. As a keen golfer i was delighted with the view and the room. To make things even better the hotel provided us with cold bottled water and tea & coffee. I should also point out that the bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in.
During our stay we were fortunate to be looked after by Chantelle for our evening meals and by Lauren & Jessica in the bar. Yes they are all young but they are well mannered, highly trained and displayed excellent customer service skills.
Breakfast is fantastic, with plenty of choice. Dinner was varied but possibly not to the standard of the breakfast.
The hotel itself has a great atmosphere, it is vibrant, busy and very relaxed.
If you get a chance try and visit the gym and spa or have a swim in the pool. I would also suggest the cream tea experience in the Brabazon Bar, it was delicious.
In summary I would recommend this hotel to anyone. The staff are great, the rooms are ideal for a relaxed stay if that is what you are looking for.
Finally I would also like to thank Secret Escapes for the opportunity of staying at this hotel at such a reasonable price. I will definitely be using this website again if I am looking for a short break away.

Room Tip: Derby rooms or room 2226, the views were superb and the bed was the most comfortable bed ever
1 Thank shelley034
Dear Shelley034

Thank you for your review.

It was a pleasure to read how well you were received by Amy and Becky I will ensure these comments make their way to them, thank you. In addition how lovely to read that Chantelle, Lauren & Jessica in the bar also impacted on your visit. As a recently refurbished hotel we truly want to align our wonderful new product with wonderful service – your positive comments for both are hopefully the fruits of our labour.

The Secret Escapes promotion proved extremely popular, do also keep in mind that we run promotional offers direct on our webpages.

I do hope that you will be back again soon

Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

A group of 20 of us enjoyed our captains weekend and the home of the Ryder Cup and we were not disappointed. We played the Brabazon and the PGA National both great golf courses in their own right,fast greens ,big bunkers tight fairways both course,s needed a lot of thought when playing them. Both were in excellent condition. All the golf staff were polite and friendly and helped with any question you had.Everything went as planned on time teeing off, great organisation. Buggies are a bit dear at £45.
The hotel held no complaints from us our room was fine in Trevino house, comfy beds big walk in shower,tea making facilitys etc
We ate in the Ryder Grill a buffet dinner which was again excellent. Had lunch in Sams Cub House, food and service again excellent. The buffet style breakfast was just the thing to start the day everything you required was available and plentyful.
We spent our evening in the Brabazon bar prices are what you would expect from such a classy and secluded place
All the staff were friendly and polite the golf was a great experience would recommend any group wanting a venue to play try The Belfry

Room Tip: Trevino House is ok for a weekend golf break
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BlackrodWeaver
Dear BackrodWeaver

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Fantastic to read that you soaked up all aspects of a golfing weekend, and enjoyed the refurbished hotel and facilities overall. Even happier to note that you had positive service encounters with our staff which is a focus for us here at The Belfry.

The recommendation is very much appreciated.

Hope you will be back again soon,

Best wishes
UK
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have stayed twice in 2014 on business conferences and must say that they have done a great job on the refurb. I would also say that the rooms and general staff service are good.
What is extremely disappointing is that I recommended the Belfrey to my wife for a group girlie birthday weekend ....they have the spa, the bar, and the nightclub....happy days!
Well that was until after she booked and then couldn't even get ANY response for 8 DAYS from the Spa team.....yes 8 days....she also left 4 messages over this time with various people. The excuse from the leisure person was that there were only two people in the spa who were on treatments and there's nobody manning the phones for bookings. Also my wife was told from staff "even we can't ever get them". My wife's experience simply isn't acceptable and doubly so when I am the one that recommended and will be paying the bill! In the end after the 8 days she finally got a returned call to be told..."Sorry we are fully booked".....Well done.... a ruined weekend for the girls and when I told her to cancel she said she can't as it's a pre-paid deal. So do not book here is advance if you are looking to book the spa.....unacceptable service and at least £400 in lost revenue for them.

Room Tip: Nice new rooms overlooking the course
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank UkSwiss
Dear SwissUK

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, and for the initial positive thoughts from your own experience around the refurbishment.

Obviously I am disapponted regarding the further issues, there were some challenges with managing the call volume following very successful promotional offers; I am truly very sorry for the poor impression this had on your wife and her party trying to book with us.

I hope that there was some resolve to be had from the situation and you were accommodated in line with the voucher purchase. Please do reach out to us if this is not the case.

Isle of Man
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Stayed one night on route to home, booked the special offer of one night, dinner, B & B.

Check in was fine, room was not ready but happy to look around for a while and had lunch in the golf bar, food and service was fine.

My husband played golf (of course) and I had a swim (they have a small section roped off which is good if you want to lane swim).

Evening meal was very good and staff were fine.

Our room was new and clean, although the bathroom was tiny and very tiny shower but it was only one night so no bother really.

Would stay again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank VickiIOM
Lynn H, Manager at The Belfry, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear VickilOM

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your stay here with us. Your constructive comments are appreciated and I am delighted to see that you would return again to us.

Lynn H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Wishaw
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
Lea Marston Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Lea Marston
New Hall Hotel & Spa
New Hall Hotel & Spa
#2 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premier Collection
Moor Hall Hotel & Spa, BW Premie...
#3 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Fairlawns Hotel And Spa
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
Brook Marston Farm Hotel
#8 of 10 in Sutton Coldfield
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
Hallmark Hotel The Welcombe
#7 of 28 in Stratford-upon-Avon

Been to The Belfry? Share your experiences!