“A Great Midland hotel”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Breierley Hill
Paignton, United Kingdom
“A Great Midland hotel”
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Modern hotel in a great position to visit the many attractions the Black Country and surrounding areas have to offer. Dudley Zoo and the Black Country Museum are just two of the attractions within a couple of miles of the hotel and if shopping is on your list, the Merry Hill Centre is on the doorstep. Our room was spacious and very well appointed and having views over the canal basin and surrounding area. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet style breakfast was plentiful and varied, ranging from fresh fruit to full English with everything in between and was very tasty. There was an extensive choice of evening evening meals, both la carte and bar meals served in the modern restaurant.
I would recommend this hotel for both business or pleasure stays.

Room Tip: My Connoisseur room was on the 4th floor, very well appointed with nice fittings giving it a luxury...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Flipmgb

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was delighted to see that you had enjoyed the facilities and services on offer as well as manage to explore the local offer.

We hope to welcome you again soon

Matt Ward

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
west midlands
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and found it very good .When a good offer came up we booked an executive suite.The room was lovely and spacious and very clean.We were given our vouchers for free drinks on arrival and headed to the bar to redeem them.On the website it says that you can also have free snacks during the day.When we asked about the snacks we were told this should have been taken off the website as they no longer did them.This offer is still on the website and gives people the wrong impression.We had a meal in the bar which was not as good as we had on previous visits.Also when we went for breakfast we had a complimentery breakfast included, which was pointed out by the breakfast staff and were told what we could eat.We felt a little uncomfortable as we fetched our breakfast.We do like staying at this hotel but on this occasion felt a little uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Some good offers on rooms
1 Thank grey56
Dear Grey 56

Thank you for your recent post and comments regarding your experience. We have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager - Francesco who has a couple of minor tweaks to develope and support the team.

The snack will remain inclusive and as such will be offered with Cub Upgrade packages, please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion on yuor recent experience. May I suggest that you contact me directly when returning to the area as I will be delighted to deal with your request personally.

Richmond, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times whilst on business, the hotel is in a good location with plenty of parking and easy access to the Merry Hill shopping centre.
Rooms are comfortable - if a little tired. I ate in the restaurant on the 1st night however the food is not good, overcooked steak with confusion over orders all round me. I have been staying at the hotel for the past 5 years and the food standards have dropped considerably. Front of house staff tried very hard to cover up the inadequacies of the kitchen staff however I chose to eat out on the 2nd night.
Bar was full of groups making a lot of noise - not a place for a quiet drink.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear SamandGary3

Many thanks for your recent review. Naturally I was disappointed to read that you have not been enjoying your dinning experiences with us, please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I am happy to advise you that we have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager - Francesco, as well as made some changes with the kitchen brigade. The team are launching a new menu on Mon 2nd June whereby I would like to think you will see some positive changes.

If there are any additional comments that you can offer so that I may better understand and share with the team, please feel free to contact me - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk likewise the Head Chef, Rob or Franceso would also welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and past experiences in person during your next visit.

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Good range of treatments available. Staff (Charlotte and Leisure colleagues) welcoming,friendly and professional.
Two of us had a 60 min massage treatment each in relaxing surroundings.
Only one improvement could be suggested - make the waiting area more luxurious

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Dee L

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, I will be sure to share your comments with the team in the Spa.

Simone, our Club Manager is currently working on a few projects to enhance our offer. these include the reception seating area as well as poolside, sauna, plus much more.

Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here when attending a company function. The staff on arrival were quick to deal with us and friendly. The hotel was a nice hotel. Worthy of its stars. The hotel room was very clean and spacious. well equipped. The breakfast was excellent all though the food we had in the evening when attending the function wasn't all that great. But to be fair it was mass produced for 150ish people. I would definitely recommend this hotel and hope to return in the future. Lovel! Thank you!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Curlytops2011

Thank you so much for your recent post and kind words regarding the service and facilities you experienced. I was sorry to read that the food was a slight let down for you and as such would welcome the opportunity to better understand. If you are able to offer me any additional comments I would be most grateful. I can be reached directly at matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 April 2014

For a rate of £97 we were given a twin bedded connoisseur room on the top (4th) floor overlooking the waterside. (Looked like a club room from the website , but we didn't have the extras like bathrobes, slippers etc in the room as mentioned on website) .

Lovely large room with good quality furniture,carpet, lamps etc. Spotlessly clean and the beds comfy . Good size flat screen TV. Large wardrobe with plenty of hangers.

A telephone in both the room and the bathroom. Hairdryer in bathroom and bedroom as well.

Nice bathroom with shower over bath and rubber bath mat provided (ver slippery bath) and plenty of hot water. Bottles of shower gel and shampoo, 2 good size soaps and a box of tissues also provided. Don't know if all rooms have them , but we even had some scales in the bathroom. Nice large good quality towels.

Opening a mirrored cupboard we found a very useful iron and ironing board/trouser press.
Another cupboard revealed a fridge with just a bottle of mineral water and 2 glasses in it. (Wasn't sure whether that was complimentary or not so left that in there)

Tea tray just had tea & coffee sachets, no extras like hot chocolate or biscuits.

Our room had a lovely partial view of the waterside through the long windows, which opened up. The area was quiet when we stayed in the middle of the week. A Wetherspoons pub over on the waterside complex was very busy and drinks a good price.

The hotel bar is very nicely done out with pleasant staff and drinks kept good although a bit pricey.

Breakfast was help yourself ,after ordering tea/coffee, and was well cooked with a good choice.

The one thing that I would point out is the electrical sockets in the room . I was unable to plug my hair straighteners or Notepad charger into either of the 2 sockets in the room as they were situated too low down against the furniture tops, so not enough room underneath for the longer type plugs to be pushed in.

Leisure club very good and able to get to it via the internal stairs .(Need the room key to get back through the doors ). Could also get to it from outside, next to the reception entrance.The staff in the leisure club were friendly and helpful, showing me the way to the changing rooms after issuing the complimentary towel and locker key.
Decent size swimming pool, a small but good steam room and sauna, and nice big jacuzzi . Didn't use the gym but looked ok as I walked past it.

I would definitely consider staying at this hotel again for a short break if I could find a good deal at the time.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank StaffordJas
Dear StaffordJas

Many thanks for taking the time to share your recent experience and place a post here. Likewise for taking the time to add photo's. Your kind words regarding the service received by our team was very much appreciated and something I will be sure to share with my colleagues.

We hope to welcome you again

Mississauga
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Stayed here one night whilst visiting relatives. I wasn't sure what I was getting into as the online room rate was so good but was pleasantly surprised. Room was very large and comfortable with a huge luxurious bathroom, all was very clean. We were on first floor with a nice view overlooking the canal and houseboats under our window. We got a great deal online vs the posted room rate.
The downside was the food and drink. There was a wedding and a reunion group the night we were there and the bar was jammed. The 2 bartenders couldn't cope and there was no table service. We moved to the dining room with our invited guests and should have gotten the message when we were the only ones. No one had an enjoyable meal, seemed like they picked it up at Tesco Express and warmed it up. Very disappointing for us and our guests. Should have taken a cab to a restaurant.
Would stay again, just not to eat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Dear Mississaugabob

Thank you for your recent post, I was grateful for your kind words regarding our facilities, though disappointed to read your comments regarding the quality of our food offer. I'd really appreciate any additional comments you may be able to offer me to better understand your experience - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Also consider these accommodations in or near Breierley Hill
#5 of 6 in Dudley
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#8 of 20 in Wolverhampton

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!