“Curates egg”

Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Breierley Hill
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stay at this hotel often as it offers good value for money overall. The rooms are good, the staff are friendly but time and again we have to complain about the breakfast. The supervisor runs round like a headless chicken, the staff either dont care or dont know and it is always a shambles. How can a four star hotel run out of marmalade? The food is bought out to the buffet and tipped in with the finesse of filling a trough for pigs - I could go on but you get my drift. If only they would sort this ongoing problem it would be a great hotel - regretably it is not as the management do not see the problem under their nose.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Acker53

Many thanks for your recent post. Since posting your review I am delighted to update you that we have appointed a new Restaurant Manager, Francesco who is aware of the key areas to focus his time and develop the service in support of the food quality with our Head Chef.

Should you have any additional comments (as you mention), I would be most grateful for them as this can only help Franceso moving forwards. matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

In addition we will be launching a new dinner menu from Mon 2nd June

Matt Ward
Thank you for your loyalty and we hope to welcome you again soon

There are newer reviews for Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley

Reviewed 6 May 2014

When visiting the Birmingham area my wife and I always look to the Copthorne at Merry Hill as a first point of call. The position of the hotel adjacent to the canal and within a short walk of Merry Hill Shopping Centre make it an ideal place for a quiet stay but with the added bonus of shops for my wife who is a career shopper. Rooms are well furnished and maintained beautifully and there seems to be nothing that you can ask that they cannot accommodate. With one notable exception - WIFI - although available the Copthorne seems to be one of the few places where, incomprehensibly, you still have to pay. Being Wetherspoon anoraks, it is no hardship to cross the canal to the Waterfront Inn where we can get all the free WIFI that we could wish for. If booking late the room rates can be quite expensive but book early and they are very reasonable.
On our first ever visit to the hotel we met Phyllis in reception who proved beyond doubt to be the most helpful person you could wish to meet so, when booking, having checked out Trivago and Booking.com. we always telephone to speak to Phyllis, if we are booking well in advance, to see if there are any more favourable rates available.
To sum up; whenever we are visiting the West Midlands we will always try the Copthorne Merry Hill first as we are assured of a comfortable, quiet location with canal walks to enjoy, not to mention shopping.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear SomersetStan

Thank you for your kind review. I was delighted to read your comments, especially your reference to our wonderful Phyllis. You are right in every way, we are very lucky to have her. I have ensured she has seen your comments.

As you have found the rates we offer direct will always be the best value.

We look forwards to welcoming you again soon

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I was there for a training course which was being held at the hotel it's self so it was very usefull to be able to stay there. The service was good on the whole & the food was excelent, as I have alergys/intolerance to some foods the chef was very understanding & even alterd some meals so that I would have a choice of menu the same as everyone else on my course, for this I was very gratefull, this was at lunchtime. The restaurant in the evening was not quite so good, there was more variation on quality of what was served to me although the waiting staff were very good & rememberd me & often checked what I could & could not eat. The rooms I had were of good size although the first room's bathroom was better, they were still both clean & comfortable. The staff were polite & friendly & made me feel welcome, I would definatly use again & would not hesitate to recomend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Lorraine E

Thank you for taking the time to post a review after your time with us on your training course. I was pleased to see that the team had discused your dietary requirements with you and were able to accommodate accordingly.

Should you wish to contact me in advance of any future stays we can ensure that this takes place again with notable improvements for the dinner service. That said, the team are trained to ensure we offer flexibility and variation upon request, even if this is without any forewarning. If you are able to offer me further details regarding your dinner experience, I would be grateful. This will enable the team and I to review our approach. matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Modern hotel in a great position to visit the many attractions the Black Country and surrounding areas have to offer. Dudley Zoo and the Black Country Museum are just two of the attractions within a couple of miles of the hotel and if shopping is on your list, the Merry Hill Centre is on the doorstep. Our room was spacious and very well appointed and having views over the canal basin and surrounding area. The room was very clean, as was the rest of the hotel and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The buffet style breakfast was plentiful and varied, ranging from fresh fruit to full English with everything in between and was very tasty. There was an extensive choice of evening evening meals, both la carte and bar meals served in the modern restaurant.
I would recommend this hotel for both business or pleasure stays.

Room Tip: My Connoisseur room was on the 4th floor, very well appointed with nice fittings giving it a luxury...

Dear Flipmgb

Thank you so much for your kind review. I was delighted to see that you had enjoyed the facilities and services on offer as well as manage to explore the local offer.

We hope to welcome you again soon

Reviewed 30 April 2014

We have stayed at this hotel a few times and found it very good .When a good offer came up we booked an executive suite.The room was lovely and spacious and very clean.We were given our vouchers for free drinks on arrival and headed to the bar to redeem them.On the website it says that you can also have free snacks during the day.When we asked about the snacks we were told this should have been taken off the website as they no longer did them.This offer is still on the website and gives people the wrong impression.We had a meal in the bar which was not as good as we had on previous visits.Also when we went for breakfast we had a complimentery breakfast included, which was pointed out by the breakfast staff and were told what we could eat.We felt a little uncomfortable as we fetched our breakfast.We do like staying at this hotel but on this occasion felt a little uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Some good offers on rooms
1  Thank grey56

Dear Grey 56

Thank you for your recent post and comments regarding your experience. We have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager - Francesco who has a couple of minor tweaks to develope and support the team.

The snack will remain inclusive and as such will be offered with Cub Upgrade packages, please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion on yuor recent experience. May I suggest that you contact me directly when returning to the area as I will be delighted to deal with your request personally.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel many times whilst on business, the hotel is in a good location with plenty of parking and easy access to the Merry Hill shopping centre.
Rooms are comfortable - if a little tired. I ate in the restaurant on the 1st night however the food is not good, overcooked steak with confusion over orders all round me. I have been staying at the hotel for the past 5 years and the food standards have dropped considerably. Front of house staff tried very hard to cover up the inadequacies of the kitchen staff however I chose to eat out on the 2nd night.
Bar was full of groups making a lot of noise - not a place for a quiet drink.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors are much quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear SamandGary3

Many thanks for your recent review. Naturally I was disappointed to read that you have not been enjoying your dinning experiences with us, please accept my sincere apologies for this.

I am happy to advise you that we have recently appointed a new Restaurant Manager - Francesco, as well as made some changes with the kitchen brigade. The team are launching a new menu on Mon 2nd June whereby I would like to think you will see some positive changes.

If there are any additional comments that you can offer so that I may better understand and share with the team, please feel free to contact me - matt.ward@millenniumhotels.co.uk likewise the Head Chef, Rob or Franceso would also welcome the opportunity to discuss your concerns and past experiences in person during your next visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Good range of treatments available. Staff (Charlotte and Leisure colleagues) welcoming,friendly and professional.
Two of us had a 60 min massage treatment each in relaxing surroundings.
Only one improvement could be suggested - make the waiting area more luxurious

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
GMMerryHill, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Dee L

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, I will be sure to share your comments with the team in the Spa.

Simone, our Club Manager is currently working on a few projects to enhance our offer. these include the reception seating area as well as poolside, sauna, plus much more.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Breierley Hill
#8 of 21 in Wolverhampton
The Mount Hotel
The Mount Hotel
#3 of 21 in Wolverhampton

Been to Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley? Share your experiences!