“Not what you expect from a Ramada” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ramada Oldbury Birmingham

Ramada Oldbury Birmingham
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Bradford, England, United Kingdom
“Not what you expect from a Ramada”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

I stayed here two nights on business with two colleagues and I am very glad I didn't pay for this out of my pocket. The reception area is large, welcoming and check in was quick. The staff are really friendly. The bar is located next to the check in desk which feels strange but no matter. The chairs in the bar area and the restaurant are filthy. The pictures look better than real life.

The food in the restaurant is nice but very salty in my opinion. The service is fast.

The rooms are fine however mine looked as though it hadn't seen a hoover in a fortnight and my colleagues had stains all over the headboard. The decor is very dark giving the room a bit of a dspressing dull feeling.

Location wise, it's got great access to the M5 and other major motorways but it is on a main dual carriageway so can be noisy.

Would I recommend? Yes I would actually, if you can't get in anywhere else.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

Basic bathroom with no bath - shower was fine though. TV and bed both decent and the room was quiet. Window didn't shut properly but being summer (apparently) this didn't bother me.

Service at check in and out was fine and a parking space was easy to find.

Breakfast was very nice bar the coffee (seriously! Gross) but I'd recommend eating from the Indian menu in the evening - I didn't and the normal menu was very average.

Overall I would stay again - it's fine for a midweek business stay.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Wareham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

Stayed for one night due to its' location in relation to an event I was attending. On arrival the reception was large, clean and the receptionist friendly. Booking in took a matter of minutes before we arrived in our room.
Quite a large room with a very large bed and that's probably where the plus points ended.
Tried to find a menu for the restaurant and discovered it shoved down the side of the cabinet, along with empty milk cartons, paper and hair! the cups to use for tea/coffee were very dirty. The bathroom/toilet was a strange configuration with a large shower area hidden behind the door, but a very small toilet area that require contortions to get into.
I'm not the smallest of chaps but the towels were rather pathetic and definitely past their sell by date. The whole area required cleaning and the paint peeling from the ceiling was not a welcome addition.
We ate in the restaurant, fish and chips plus scampi. both were acceptable and sensibly priced. Breakfast and 1 gentleman that appeared to be in charge an a young girl that looked petrified and even the thought of having to talk to anyone.
Spread was okay and more was available on request, the place does not have teaspoons they use the plastic stirrers that you find in small cafes or takeaway areas. Not what I expected to find in a hotel.
had I paid full price for this experience I would have complained, but I got the room from laterooms and they also missed off a round of drinks.
Would probably not use this hotel again.

Room Tip: read tripadvisor, don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Oldbury hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

Pros:
. Free parking
. Complimentary shower gel soap and shampoo
. Stylish lobby

Cons:
. Miserable staff
. Noisy road
. Dirty windows
. Dirty smeared glass in stairway
. Wifi connection either not available or really week
. Lack of information regarding dining, room service, breakfast and leisure facility's
. Staff unfriendly
. Lime scale in the kettle
. Undesirables sat across corridor
. Lots of drunk people roaming around the hotel

Went down for breakfast and got quizzed about our reservation! My husband had to go back up to the room to show the reservation details to the manager, who made us feel like we were just about to steal food from them! I was so embarrassed I had to leave! Surely you would serve breakfast and double check the reservation before quizzing customers in public, after all they did have our credit card details and could have just charged us if we had breakfast without paying! Staff were very apologetic when faced with the facts but I'm afraid the damage had already been done!

Will not be staying there again

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Kutna Hora, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I've already stayed 2 times in this hotel in past when everything was really very good. To be honest I haven't read the newest reviews before I booked this hotel again. I quite highly recommended the hotel to colleagues and they confirmed it is OK, but when I arrived with my colleague to this hotel for 2 nights stay we were really scared. The reception desk was quite dirty, the rooms were horribly dirty (bathroom not cleaned, toilet totally dirty, hairs all over the bed). We were really loathed to touch anything. As it was very late in the evening it was difficult for us to find another hotel to stay so we stayed that night ... nearly without sleep :-( . In the morning we went for the breakfast - all dishes absolutely dirty, hairs in the food ...... .Internet connection didn't work at all. .

1 Thank AlaV033
Devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

My work booked this hotel for me for a 3 day stay. After reading the previous reviews I was not looking forward to going. But, actually I was quite satisfied with the place. It was easy to find, there is plenty of parking, a good foyer area. A nice restaurant area, which served lovely, hot, well portioned food. The staff are good enough ( I wonder if they just lack adequate direction and inspiration from the management though). All facilities available in the rooms that you could need. Well tiled shower/toilet room and wow! the heating thermostat worked! The décor is tired in places, but that didn't really matter. I think this place is just right for the market they attract which is mainly people who are on short business trips. So don't be put off.

Hereford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Had to stay in the Oldbury area as my husband had an interview. He chose the hotel as it was close to where he needed to be.
When we drove up to the hotel it's grey exterior didn't look too inviting. Don't be fooled by the flashy chandelier hanging in the doorway that's as nice as it gets. Glass doors shabby, two chaise chairs also in reception area grubby and old. At this point I wanted to turn around and leave. An Indian restaurant is inside just next to the reception with a very small bar.
Wallpaper in stairwell peeling, scuffed and stunk of public toilets (cleaning fluid). Room was very small and dark. Horrible brown and black furniture. Had a hair dryer and iron tho as well as tea and coffee. Bathroom was poky and had bad lighting. No bath. Could barely get into the bathroom without knocking into the toilet. Towels were off white! Bed hard and pillow stuffing non existent. Dirty brown carpet had seen better days and thick dust behind bedside cabinet. No wonder I sneezed constantly. I'm not normally affected by dust. Lots of traffic noise during the night. The worst thing was a green fluorescent light in the ceiling that couldn't be turned off. Obviously a night light. I could see it even through closed eyelids. Can't wait to leave.

Room Tip: Don't stay here if you want a good nights sleep.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldbury
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2
Premier Inn Birmingham Oldbury (M5, Jct2) Hotel
Premier Inn West Bromwich Central Hotel
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
Ramada Park Hall Hotel and Spa
#7 of 20 in Wolverhampton
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
The Quality Hotel Dudley

Been to Ramada Oldbury Birmingham? Share your experiences!