“Homely”
Review of Travellers Inn

Travellers Inn
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have stayed here a few times now and I must say the staff are so friendly and always greet us with a friendly hello and a warm smile no job is too small they are always happy to help there is a lovely girl who works on the reception called Emily she stood out from the rest of the team with with a big smile and the fact that after only seeing Emily for the second time she remembered my name and she had everything ready for us from when we walked through the door which I personally think this is customer services at it's best overall this hotel was just what I was looking for and the staff made me feel like I was home from home

• Stayed: July 2014

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Stayed one night at this Hotel !
Owing to a family illness we needed a room urgently , to be honest I now know why this hotel had vacancies :{
At the best it was poor ,it reaches Poor because of staff were helpful and cheerful . downstairs areas lot sofa's and small bar .Found food in restaurant Buffet style fairly good ..
However up Stairs Corridors ,Rooms and décor left a Lot to be desired ,
Our room was smelly ,fusty , with stained carpets ,Sheets ? cleaned, Bathroom shower mat missing , rail slid of its track
Carpet or should I say rugs in corridors were wearing thin at best ,Some even dangerously frayed at the edge .
I did Not expect much for my money and to be Honest that's what i got ,If I hadn't got more important things on my mind I would have complained or left altogether ,However after driving for hours we were just so tired ,decided to sleep on top of bed with window wide open and left a s a p .

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I have stayed at the hotel a few times and was concerned by the reviews and expecting a right dump!! What a surprise, rooms decent, curtains a little thin, shower fantastic and parking great + free.
I arrived on a hot afternoon and straight away offered a fan if required. Easy check in and very friendly staff throughout the stay.
Breakfast was decent and again staff were great. Evening meals also reasonably priced.
Asda just down the road as are other well known eating places.
As a business traveller this was ideal so not having to search somewhere to eat within my expenses budget.
It is not the Ritz but also not there prices so would not hesitate in going back

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I visited the chilli buffet which I believe is part of the hotel. We had a buffet on the evening for just under 6 pounds this was excellent the quality and variety was very very good they do Chinese indian Italian and even roast beef roast pork. We had a very enjoyable meal the staff very very good and the drink was nice. We will not hesitate in going back and I would recommend that you give it a try.

Room Tip: book a table
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank daysofyore
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visited this restaurant to find it is part of the hotel set up. It was very busy and we had been told to book a table. There is a lot of choice, starters were very good. The ? was that the majority of the "hot" dishes were only luke warm. They were being topped up with hot food not replaced with fresh food. I am no food expert but I would think that the hot food should be at a certain temperature and I would doubt that most was. One of the party had a plain ice cream which he left as it tasted odd. There is a fresh cooked section which is probably your best bet. Non of us felt 100% the following day, the food?

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Lincoln_PETE7904
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Well I went into this establishment thinking damn where the he'll am I staying. Slated on Tripadvisor. But nevertheless had to do an precarious U turn to find it. As the exterior looks like a gym/showroom. Not the usual characteristics of a hotel.

But upon entering there decor is modern and clean. Reception/bar area spacious with a number of sofas and chairs with two tv's. With a buffet style Indian restaurant (which I don't think was open yet). They did do food via the bar. For a very modist price. Cheap meals. Decent sizes. Nothing to complain about.

We had lunch and had the training in there conference room. With a good selection of condiments and refreshments. Well stocked for our needs. Same with lunch with masses of food , hot and cold. With loads left over when we'd all finished.

Now the rooms. Looks great. Clean, smart, modern. Looks great, only criticisms with room was mattress could do with a topper on it or new one as I felt all the springs as I slept. (8 pints of the San Miguel downstairs sorts that out) curtains are a little thin. But that's a matter of taste. I for one like blackout curtains. Unsure on the 'keep calm and dream duvet' added abit of tackyness.. nice colour for room just not with the writing Mr.Hotel.Owner. Tv was small. But good quality lots of channels.

Bathroom was great tight squeeze when on the royal throne. If you got some timber you might need to adopt a different seating stance :) shower was was great. Nice and powerful. Very hot too!!

Staff equally as great as the establishment aims and loaths to be. There were delays with service on the bar when the staff were busy attending to new arrivals. Check ins etc. But overall very friendly. Right the way through the stay. All young. and great representatives to the business. Of whom I remember. China, bubbly young lass great enthusiasm. Josh, great crack good banter for doing graveyard shift!

So overall it's a consistant 4-4.5 out of 5. Just a few niggly bits to knock you down. But only minor. I stayed here two nights and I would recommend the hotel for a great budget hotel.

With competition on there door step from holiday Inn and Ramada a stone's throw away it's a matter of opinion.

I'm not hotel inspector, but just thought you required a more in-depth review than my predecessors below.. This establishment was teathing with Trademan. But not enough to detour your from staying. They were all in bed for 9 o clock.

Surrounding areas you got a Asda 30 secs away walking. Maccies, toys r us it is on a main road. But I didn't hear to much if traffic.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2014

We booked a night away, only to go back home as soon as possible. The room smelt as soon as we walked in which after investigating was coming from the en-suite, smelt of damp and looked like it hadn't been cleaned since hotel started running. The floor of room was also dirty and there were cob webs on ceiling and lighting as well as dirt all around the skirting. Best of it, the sheets hadn't been changed as there was also lipstick on pillowcase. We checked out quicker than we checked in!!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kam S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldbury
Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
Travelodge Birmingham Halesowen
Travelodge Birmingham Halesowen
#67 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Travellers Inn? Share your experiences!