“Abomination.”

Birmingham Best Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Firstly I would lime to point out that this is the first time I have wrote a review for a hotel I have stayed in.
We first entered the premises and all was OK we where greeted at the front desk and checked in and from here is when it all went downhill it took us around 10mins to find our room due to this place being like a maze it is like walking around the tardis (doctor who) it feels like there are just a infinite amount of corridors but when finding our room we put the key in the door and opened it and was greeted with a horrendous smell of stale smoke then as everyone does when entering a hotel room we gave it a bit of an inspection and this is what we found.
Wallpaper that made us feel like we just ate a bag of magic mushrooms, weird stains on the carpet, two armchairs with rips all up the arms, complementary tea and coffee where we had to walk across the room just to plug the kettle in, the beds where OK and a good size but the pillows well I might as well have layed on a brick, a mirror smothered in puss stains, a hole In the light cover In the bathroom which I feel is dangerous due to steam and electricity not going together very well, complementary soap and towels which is a plus and the worst was outside the bathroom window was a little alleyway which was covered in rubbish ranging from McDonald's waste to used condoms.

After inspecting we unpacked our stuff and then a party started in the function room below us and we had bass rattling the TV and doors in the room but it was on around 15.00pm so we thought we would just go out for some food and a drink. We arrived back at the hotel at around 11ish and we and had an Indian buffet which was a really big positive as the staff where friendly and the food was good. We played our bill then went up to our room this time greeted with this time bass from the speakers below and after sitting down for 15mins I took a walk down to the front desk a told the receptionist about the loud music and he said it will be turned down in a couple of mins so I went back up to the room waited 10mins and the music was still no lower so again walked down to the front desk this time meeting the manager on the way down and after confronting him about the noise he told me to go and tell the people that having the party to turn the music down and to this I replied it is your function room you are the manager thus your job to tell them. to cut a long story short after complaining 5 times nothing happed till around 01.30 when the music was turned off and we where offered no money back I did not even get an apology in the morning. So to anyone e reading this DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY HERE!

Thanks for reading and sorry about the punchuation but I am writing this from my phone.

• Stayed: September 2013
4  Thank ricky119

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I stayed here last year for the Birmingham German Christmas Market with my boyfriend and his mum and dad. They paid so I have no idea what they paid but oh my lord, you just had to take it in your stride!!

We first went in to a unmade dirty room with no lock on the door and no windows. We had to complain so were taken to another room which was slightly cleaner but full of old & broken furniture.

Bathroom was falling to bits quite literally, and there was no hot water. Called receptionist up (about 14 yrs old and very shy) and he told me that the less than luke-warm water was fine and that was the hottest it would get, as if it was totally normal! I proceeded to have a bath filled up with kettle water...

Bed is old and stained and although sheets were clean it was still quite vulgar.

Awful service from reception, it's almost as though they know how bad it is and just can't be bothered to try and make up for it.

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfc93
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel and realised from the price and other reviews that it would not be luxurious.
The room had crisp clean white sheets and the bathroom had a bath.
The room furnishing and decor was old fashioned but clean.
The hotel is like a rabbit warren but plenty of paper signs showing you where to go.
The corridors are dingy and the air is stale in places.
The wifi only worked in reception.
There is parking outside the hotel.
My TV worked.
I slept perfectly.
I recommend this hotel for budget travellers and workers for a short stay.
For those used to a better standard this might not be where you want to stay.
I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank BigHoward
Reviewed 6 September 2013

cant believe that agencies like late room etc have the audacity to advertise this Doss House!!!
I booked this hotel for my colleague through Late Rooms.com and cant believe I didn't check trip advisor first my colleague was appalled the place should be condemmed its filthy, its tatty, it looks like a derelict house the beds are so old they are only fit for firewood and it stank!!! I know it was only £25.00 per night and you pay for what you get but this wasn't worth 2.50 per night, then to top it all they took the room cost from my card details without my permission despite the terms and conditions on my confirmation stating that nothing would be debited without my authorisation SO BEWARE!!!!!! The only thing this place is fit for is burning down or being used as a hostel for homeless people that just want a shelter ( I am not being predjudice here by the way)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cfb345
Reviewed 2 September 2013

We stayed at this hotel as we were going out round Birmingham for a night out. My friend booked the hotel for us but will now be checking hotels for myself before visiting as this one was absolutely horrendous.

If you have watched the film Vacancy, I would advise against staying here as you won't sleep!

The outside of the hotel looks awful, but we were optimistic and thought they may have spent the money on doing this inside up... We were wrong. The hotel was classed as victorian themed, but I think that may be some way of covering themselves for the atroscity that is the rooms.

After checking in with a very rude man, who didnt speak English, we tried to make our way to our room. 15 minutes later, after following the unhelpful signs, we found our room (which was the other side of the hotel to our friends).

Our room was called the Tipton... Dreadful. There was no light, just a lamp in the corner of the room so we had to go and get ready in our friends room anyway as we couldnt see in ours! The double bed was about the same size as my 6 year old brothers child bed. The room smelt damp and fusty. There was a tele in the corner of the room that didnt work anyway as it was a Black and White tele and didnt switch on anymore... There was a very very old worn arm chair next to a bookshelf full of strange books and CDs that had been left by previous visitors. There was an old iron burn on the carpet, along with several cigarette burns around the room. The Fire Exit door lead straight on to a public fire exit stair case and didnt lock, nor were there any curtains on the window so people could look straight in on us. The window also didnt lock or shut properly, which made the room very noisy being on a busy main road. The wardrobe didnt shut, and the doors would creak open during the night! There was also a large amount of strange very wonky photos placed around the room. After a closer look, we realised that some of these pictures were covering holes big enough for a person to fit through. There were also small holes directly above the bed - if you have seen the film Vacancy you will understand why this freaked us out!!
The bed was about as comfortable as sleeping on the floor would have been.

This hotel needs to be closed down or atleast taken over by someone else and completely refurbishing. Allowing people to stay in these rooms is not right, and I wish I would have had the initiative to read a few of these comments before booking here. Absolutely awful and a complete waste of money. Pay the extra and stay in a Travelodge, 100000000x better!!

Room Tip: Choosing a room in a different Hotel would be much more beneficial!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Do not stay at this hotel! I stayed here in a family room and had to change rooms 2 times. Ceiling came through on my children. Water come spilliging through. Cracked toilet seats. Tv doesnt work. Incompetent staff!!! Avoid

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank nicolecx
Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

So, after a long haul flight I wanted somewhere cheap and cheerful to get some sleep before driving the 2 hours home from the airport - arrived at about 9pm and checked straight in. After following a very amature and cheaply made sign system to my room (up and down various sets of stairs and down various unlite dingy corridors) I found my room (429) - opened the flimsy door to find a very dated and grubby looking room, wallpaper peeling off the walls, damp spots, very dated and worn looking decor and furnishings! The door didnt have any inside lock, just a flimsy chain(for a woman on my own and seeing how dodgy the halls and corridors were this didn't make me feel very safe staying there at all) I had to push some of the furniture up against the door just to feel slightly safe . My plan was to just try and get some sleep and leave early....... But any hope of sleep was soon gone as for the next 3 hours, the couple in the room above were having a very loud and very violent domestic! After eventually falling asleep, I was woken an hour later to the sound of water pouring in the bathroom, on investigation i could see that it was not only coming from down on both sides of the bathroom ceiling but also pouring from inside the LAMPSHADE (see pictures) This was the final straw and the point that I decided to pack up and leave at 1am and face the 2 hour drive home after having no sleep what so ever - the danger of this drive home severely out weighed the danger of staying in this death trap for another moment!! I'm really not the type of person to kick up a fuss under normal circumstances, but even for me, this is the WORST place I have ever seen! And like other reviews, I agree that this place needs to be closed down immediately before someone is killed!!!

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldbury
Ladywood
Hotel ibis budget Birmingham Centre
Travelodge West Bromwich hotel
#2 of 5 in West Bromwich
Edgbaston
Edgbaston Palace Hotel
Edgbaston Palace Hotel
#101 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Birmingham Best Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!