“Cheap and basic”

Birmingham Best Inn Hotel
Ranked #6 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Extremely well priced hotel close to City Centre. Clean room without being particularly homely, I left a pullover there and when I returned later in the week the staff were very friendly and helpful . It was still there.

Room Tip: 455 wa ours. My daughter was not too impressed with hers though
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 August 2014

The pictures say it all! Booked this for a colleague and couldn't believe my eyes, staff unhelpful and rude, rooms.... I wouldn't let a scabby dog sleep there! Shameful no one thing good to say about the place only that it's nothing a demolition ball wouldn't so wonders for!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Lettie30
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Like a few others who written reviews here, I booked in a hurry without checking the previous reviews. Having seen the photos, I think I got off lightly.
Access to the room was through the attached Indian restaurant and along a maze of corridors. I passed the entrance to the kitchen, where the carpet carries a grease trail back to the restaurant. The room was interesting. Only one light worked (a standard lamp). The kettle didn't work. The TV/VCR combo worked but could not provide a stable picture. The wardrobe was missing its mirror. The chest of drawers was broken. There was a bookshelf with a selection of books that a charity shop would reject. The bathroom had a stained and wet carpet and a cracked sink. I am hoping the wet carpet was caused by the shower, which squirted water in several directions. Fortunately the sheets appeared to be clean. The only way I was prepared to sit on the threadbare and filthy chair was to put one of the pillows on it.
On the plus side? Free wi-fi!

Room Tip: Book a room at a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Traveller1984xyz
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Got back home today. Stayed here last night. I stayed in this hotel a few years ago with My Partner and it was lovely. Attending a family Party, so booked in for one night on line.
OMG! WHAT A MISTAKE! On arrival I was greeted by a very friendly receptionist (who I found out this morning was the Manager). The Reception area is clean and tidy and what you would expect for a 'budget hotel'. I should have guessed all was not well, as just after I had booked in, a couple came to reception complaining. They had seen 3 rooms and refused to stay. They were complaining as they could not get their money back (I am too polite to quote what the lady said about this hotel). I went to my room (488) and I was 'shocked'. The only light in the room was a standard lamp. The carpets had so many stains on. There was a Television/VIDEO player just like I had 25 years ago - No TV! A fan had no front on and no buttons to turn on. The curtains were hanging off the rail. In the bathroom, the walls were damp and the shower head was stuck on with RED TAPE! The Bed had CLEAN white cotton sheets on (I looked at the mattress and it was like new). I thought I could get ready, go to my family party, come back and sleep and leave!
The water was hot for the shower (Good). but no water in the cold tap to clean teeth! When I came back in the early hours, the bathroom carpet was really wet. I went to reception and was told 'The Manager wants to see you in the morning as you left the tap on for 4 hours'. I had pictures on my phone of the room, and after he saw them, I was offered another rom (409). this room was ok. however, I was upset by my experience, I did not have a good sleep. PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS PLACE! DO NO STAY HERE!

Room Tip: I saw 5 rooms - all awful. I have pictures I will add soon
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Pussfart
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I wish I had checked out the reviews before I booked this as I would never have stayed there, the first room I was given had a mattress that was more uncomfortable than a bed of nails and the second was like a concrete slab, if you want a depressing hotel then this is the place for you, in my option it needs nuking and start from scratch, warning avoid !!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Gagmeister
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Me and my partner stopped here last week. Noing it was a budget hotel I didn't expect much but this place was like a sqat. Mould, damp, dirt, paper falling of the walls, sockets hanging off.
Ive never seen anything like it before.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 30 June 2014

THIS HOTEL IS VILE...

Why oh why didn't I check Tripadvisor before I booked.... because it was just for 2 nights and it is in the UK so it can't be that bad...lesson learnt!!

We booked 2 rooms for 4 people for 2 nights. My daughter is an athlete and was competing at the British Championships at Alexander Stadium, as we travel all over the country we try and go budget, never before has budget meant FILTH. We arrived late as we'd travelled up from Essex via London to pick up my daughters fiancé from work. We were all laughing when we pulled up outside saying this will be an experience etc, when we went in we still found it funny because it was very dark and old fashioned. The man on reception was very polite and checked us in. Straight away my daughters room had to be changed because the lights didn't work. We dropped our bags and went out to find some dinner. When we came back the full horror of what we'd booked into hit us. By now it was too late to find another hotel so we had to stay there. However none of us slept! I have posed photos!

Racist and filthy graffiti on the bedroom walls including graphic drawings
Peeling wallpaper through damp
Holes in the walls and doors
Second door to our room was open when we got back from the restaurant
Bathroom was downstairs with no light working in our room so very dangerous
Hole in our bath
Dubious stains on the carpet floors
One light flickering on and off so had to be turned off
No window in our room so no air or natural light
Floorboards had the loudest squeaks I've ever heard
Stained bed linen
Smoke detector covered up where previous guests had smoked in the room
Absolutely stunk and not just of stale smoke
Ceiling leaking in the hall outside our rooms with a flooded floor

We didn't sleep all night and I was on the internet on my phone looking for another hotel for the next day. I checked us out first thing in the morning and told them I wanted a full refund, I showed the gentleman on reception the photographs I had on my phone. He was still very polite and offered us alternative rooms. At this point I thought I would collapse with laughter.....as if we'd want to stay there whatever room!!! However, he couldn't give me a refund, I had to email the head office which I will be doing later today although having read other reviews on here people have had no response. I wont hold my breath.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Lorraine2608
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldbury
Ladywood
Edgbaston
Edgbaston Palace Hotel
Edgbaston Palace Hotel
#101 of 118 in Birmingham

Been to Birmingham Best Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!