“Clean, but not great”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Oldbury
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Clean, but not great”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I arrived with a broken ankle and was made to stand at the front desk for almost an hour while the staff checked that my company had booked my hotel room, in spite of me having all the paperwork. They apparently wanted me to pay, even though the company had already done so online. Eventually, I was allowed to enter my room though my company was still verifying payment for it over the phone.

My colleague was also charged for using their car park while dropping me off, even though she should have only been in and out. She was forced to go home without knowing whether or not I was all right and this made her rather concerned.

The room was clean, but the seal surrounding the window let in a draught which was bad enough to give the impression that the window was open. When the wind blew outside, the curtains would billow and any sound from the A4123 or passers-by would sound loudly in my room. Sleeping in this room was virtually impossible due to the noise and cold.

Upon checking out, I was again asked to pay and had to again explain that my company had paid for me.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Simon R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Dear Ms Emma Stanton,

Thank you for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that you experienced a not so good stay with us. I would like to discuss your complaint further if I may?

Can you please either call me on 0871 902 1603 or email deputy@expressbirmingham.co.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Yours faithfully,

Simon Roberts
Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
S Yorkshire
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We were attending a show at the NEC and rooms were booked for my aunt a friend and myself. The booking was efficient and friendly. and the rooms were very comfortable providing everyting we needed although the air conditioning took some working out. The best of our stay was the "continental Breakfast" that included Sausage, srambled egg, beans and toast. quite filling and a good start to the day.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Simon R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for kindly taking the time to write a review of the hotel on our TripAdvisor webpage. Reviews of all kinds are what makes the hotel move forward and gain knowledge and experience from each individual guest.

It was nice to read your positive comments about our Free Breakfast, We at Holiday Inn Express believe that Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and with a plentiful supply gives our guests plenty of option to choose from several items.

Once again I am pleased that your stay was smooth and enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Adam Gayden
Guest Service Manager
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on a few occasions when in Birmingham. It's not outstanding but good enough. The rooms are clean, not spacious but they will work. The breakfast which is free, is quite good and the location in Birmingham is not bad. Staff are generally quite welcoming and friendly. Have not had a bad experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Simon R, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 15 April 2014
Dear KENVAN2014,

Thank you very much for leaving a review on TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you enjoyed your stay overall and thank you for choosing us once again, we always make our guests feel welcomed when staying with us and deliver excellent service.

Your comments regarding the staff, I will share with my team, thank you.

We look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Yours faithfully,

Simon Roberts
Deputy General Manager
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed one night to visit the NEC and were very pleased we chose this hotel. We received warm welcome on arrival and all the staff during our stay we're friendly and attentive. The hotel is very clean and comfortable although we found the beds are a little soft ( of course this is very subjective). We were not aware of any road noise (room 210) and found the hotel very convenient for NEC and the city centre. Breakfast is included and my husband thoroughly enjoyed grapefruit , sausages scrambled egg and beans, croissant and coffee fortifying him for a potentially expensive day at the Housebuilding and Home Renovation Show.

Room Tip: Room 210 no road noise.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
MgrStoke, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express Oldbury Birmingham for your accommodation needs and for kindly leaving a great review of our hotel.

I am pleased to hear you had a wonderful stay with us, we appreciate that we made your stay comfortable and that your Husband really enjoyed the plentiful breakfast. Your comments have been passed on to all departments, and will be very pleased with your kind words.
I hope to see you again very soon.

Kaniesha Seville
Guest Service Assistant
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2014

WARNING!!! I stayed at this hotel previously. No problems. I then received a parking fine through the post, I contacted the hotel immediately and they *promised* to have the fine dropped. Months go by and I am then issued with court papers. Despite what the hotel told me previously, I am now told "sorry, nothing we can do, you must pay the fine".

I asked several times to be given the management address so that I could write a letter expressing my disappointment. The deputy manager refused to give out this information. Disgraceful service! Stay here at your own risk!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving this for me to see and I am so sorry that this has not been dealt with in the correct way, we do not have the parking system to fine our guests but to ensure there are spaces for you to use upon your arrival.

If you would like to call me direct at the Hotel or on my mobile I will have this resolved for you today with NO charge.

Hotel- 0121 511 0000 or Mobile 07801 787 906

I look forward to hearing from you.

Danny Crompton
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Just came back from a 2 night stay at this fabulous hotel. Staff very courteous, helpful and friendly. Beds very very comfy and really upkeeps the name Holiday Inn. Even though it is near motorway but the noice keeps to a minimum.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
ManagerOldbury, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Thank you for taking time to write us a review on Trip Advisor.

Its great to hear that you enjoyed your stay whilst here at the Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury.

Its so nice to hear that we have kind and friendly members of staff. Its also nice to hear that you found the beds very comfy, I will certainly pass your comments on to the housekeeping team.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Amy Newell
Guest Service Assistant
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Great location for our stay and the usual comfy beds and spacious rooms. Always know what we're getting with Holiday Inn and this was no exception. The staff were friendly and helpful. No road noise, despite being so close to the M5 and the busy road into Dudley. Nice pub next door for our evening meal, no problems at all :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerOldbury, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you kindly for leaving a pleasant review on our TripAdvisor webpage, it is always nice to hear from guests about their experiences at our hotel. Positive and negative this allows us to ever grow and evolve as a business and more importantly as a team that puts the guest at the heart of everything we do.
The ease of which our hotel is situated is ideal for local business and the transport links between the North and the South.

At our hotel we believe that the guest is king, I have passed on your comments to the rest of the team who were all very pleased.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Adam Gayden
Duty Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oldbury
Park Inn by Radisson Birmingham West
Travelodge Birmingham Oldbury
Copthorne Hotel Merry Hill Dudley
Village Hotel Birmingham Dudley
The Quality Hotel Dudley
Novotel Wolverhampton
Novotel Wolverhampton
#6 of 21 in Wolverhampton

Been to Holiday Inn Express Birmingham Oldbury M5 Jct.2? Share your experiences!