“Very poor service, dirty and very dated decor”

Trevali Guest House
Ranked #9 of 26 Bognor Regis B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2013

I find it hard to believe that some of these reviews are genuine. The hosts were unfriendly, particularly the wife (Alison I believe she is called) who was downright rude. I committed the grave sin of using the shared bathroom to change as the so called en-suite was really a cupboard with no room to swing the proverbial cat. She came storming up the stairs and raged at my sister about it.The following morning she almost knocked me over as she barged past me on my way into the breakfast room. Very inhospitable, very Basil Fawlty.

The room was cluttered full of whatever they had been able to find - very 1970s and I don't mean retro-chic. Well worn patterned carpets, depressing curtains that looked as though they hadn't been washed for 30 years. As for the bathroom - it was a cupboard with a shower unit that looked as though it had been glued to the wall. Even worse there was mould all over the place in the bathroom. Very depressing.

The doors were hard to open and we couldn't open the door to get it later that night and so Trevor, the host, had to get up to let us in.

They either need to call in the Hotel Inspector to re-vamp the place or give up. Like some other reviewers are doubt that some of the rave reviews are genuine. The only reason I have not given it a rating of terrible is because the location is good and the breakfast is fine although breakfast is served in a conservatory type extension which was freezing as I stayed there during a very cold spell and they did not seem to have any heating in the room.

Room Tip: Yes - don't stay there. There are better places in Bognor.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank mazzie

Reviewed 18 July 2013

This is a small guest house close to the sea front at Bognor Regis
I had a single room in the attic. There was a spacious sitting area beyond the bed. The TV/radio reception was excellent. I was very comfortable there and appreciated having a bath in the en-suite. The breakfasts are delicious and substantial and served in a lovely conservatory or in the garden. The hosts, Alison and Trevor are welcoming and helpful.

Room Tip: The attic room has a sloping ceiling and could present problems for a tall person. However, it is...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and it was just what I intended for a short break the owners were a dedicated husband and wife team you could see that they had worked to provide a good selection of amenities such as free Wi-Fi, Flat screen Digital TV with DVD Player, Bedside cabinets, Alarm Clock Radio, In room Tea making facilities and a choice of hot drinks including Tea, Coffee, Hot Chocolate and Horlicks along with a good supply of milk and a choice of sugars and Biscuits, Iron Board, Steam Iron and Hair Dryer, bath toiletries and even Lovely Fresh Bath Robes and last of all a nice large Bath with Basin and toilet on-suit Then down to a superb Full English Breakfast and also a buffet selection of juices and breads with fresh fruit and cereals in very pleasant surroundings looking out onto a well tended garden with alfresco dining if required. I must say I was Very Surprised at the True Value of this Little Guest House.
Mr David Bayfield Snr.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Even though I was a last minute single occupancy booking.
I was treated with a very friendly manner.
The room was tidy and facilities were adequate for my short stay but surprisingly the room had a sea view which in the morning was very relaxing.
There was a folder with lots of holiday idea's and bus routes etc.
Also a welcome note with helpful advce.
The morning breakfast was impeccable and very homely, with a bright atmosphere and very good cooking with an array of fresh juices including mango which was very refreshing.
Overall, I could not fault the hospitality at a very reasonable price.
I would recommend that anyone in my position should choose the Trevali Guest house.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed in room 3 that had every colour of the rainbow in it. The one curtain we had in our room was made up of 4 bits of fabric and it was not a good job.The pillows were so hard they gave me neck ache. The so called table with the kettle on had seen better days. The bath was dirty as was the toilet. When we were having breakfast the man who was serving went inti the garden to clean up after the two dogs !!!!!!! not the done thing in my books.Free Wifi didnt work so I was unable to do my work. Breakfast looked good but I was put off enjoying it because of the dog thing.The best thing it was across the road to the place we were going.Water in the bottle had been opened so was it tap water ???? We wont use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue H
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The guest house was in an excellent location for our needs.

The room was adequate, comfortable and catered for our needs.

Free Wifi is very useful.

Alison and Trevor are friendly and provide a lovely breakfast :)

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 4 March 2013

My stay was OK, but I've stayed in better 3* B&Bs. I was in room 7 in the attic.
I booked after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. After my stay, I'm not convinced that the reviews are all left by paying guests.
There were some very good points: The hosts were friendly; the breakfast was nice; it was a great bonus to have free wifi; there were clean gowns hanging on the back of the door (a nice touch); it was quiet and the heating worked well (it was freezing outside, but I had to open the windows); it was nice to have a bath in the en-suite; there was a very good selection of drinks: instant coffee, regular and decaf, horlicks, hot chocolate and a couple of packets of biscuits - there was no tea when I stayed, but that didn't bother me; and it did have a sea view although it was across a car park. The room was pretty clean (the only thing I noticed that had obviously been routinely missed, was the top vent in the window of the bathroom, which did have a layer of black dust).
BUT there were some not-so-good points too: the room was so far into the pitch of the roof that I couldn't sit up in bed. There was a very low chair available (the seat about 8 inches from the floor), which I put at the side of the bed to watch TV, but then I was watching 'side on' as the TV was facing the bed.
The room being so low meant that the en-suite couldn't fit a shower. There was one of those plastic attachments for the bath taps. The pitched ceiling also meant that trying to put anything on the 3ft-high hanging rail was near impossible as you had to be on your knees and still stoop under a beam.
It looked like there was bottled water supplied in the room, which I thought was a thoughtful touch, but on closer inspection, the full bottle of organic spring water was not sealed and there was toothpaste around the rim from a previous occupant. I don't know whether this was an oversight (but, then, why would an occupant refill a bottle that was complimentary?) or whether the owners make a point of refilling a spring-water bottle. Surely not!
The website stated that the rooms have blackout blinds or curtains. I had two velux windows just inches from my head in a south-facing room. The curtains let a lot of light through them and hung away from the window. I was very happy to have an eye mask with me.
The breakfast was very nice. I had fresh fruit salad with cornflakes and poached egg on brown toast. I sat by the window of the sunny dining room, overlooking the garden. Unfortunately, there were fresh dog turds on the astroturf lawn.

Room Tip: The attic room was quiet and warm, but had no head room and no shower.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell Park
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
#2 of 26 in Bognor Regis

Been to Trevali Guest House? Share your experiences!