“hotel is great, butlins not so much”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Ocean Hotel at Bognor Regis
Ranked #6 of 26 Bognor Regis B&B and Inns
Hastings, United Kingdom
“hotel is great, butlins not so much”
Reviewed 17 June 2013

hotel is fantastic, i loved it.

we had a dolphin room with a balcony on the 4th floor, room 417
GOOD BITS,
clean towels daily even if you take them swimming they still replace ALL if you are out when they come in,
tea and coffee replenished daily, handy mini fridge, we used for milk as we don't like the long life milk,
DVD rental from the main reception, although we took our own our son wanted to watch a different one, they are free, but have to put a £10 deposit down, and Nintendo ds games are £20 deposit
The games room we only went in once (might be a grump, but i wasn't on holiday to play video games, great for the older children though)
always got straight into a lift and they play funky music too which my son loved.

BAD BITS about the hotel
-although we had a sea view on 2 sides straight ahead and to our right, we over looked the main hotel car park, and all the chalet roofs although this was no problem noise e.t.c it wasn't what we were expecting.
- the pillows were like bricks, very hard but this is all about preference, i still slept like a baby after a day of activities
-the last thing was the curtains are just a little too short for the patio doors so at 4.30am light comes flooding through the doors, i suppose this is OK in the winter but the summer not so good when a good nights sleep is in need.
children's bunk room was fantastic

AS for Butlins itself, the redcoats were great, although towards the end of the trip some of the other staff were getting ready for the adult only weekend, so were fed up with all the kids and happy clappy families, so we received a very unwelcoming reception especially on the go-karts when we asked if a single adult could ride in a double kart so we could all ride as a family and were told by one that would be fine, so we qued for 10 mins to be told no.

the center stage evening entertainment venue smelt like rotten cheesy feet, that was strong enough to make your toes curl, this was around the entrance to the shop the further away you got the better the smell got
if you don't Que early you don't get a very good seat either crammed up the back somewhere, or in a corner where you cant see whats going on
all the evening entertainment on our break was great not that we stayed till the end as our son just couldn't stay awake, prices for drinks were reasonable, a pint was the same as the local

there are way too many slot/fruit machines, but when there was hardly any day time entertainment, (you find yourself in them, which is what they want) i am assuming this is because we were on an out of season break, but in any case the money we paid there should have been more to do,
football was not great for my son as he has learning difficulties the other children didn't have a lot of patience for him, there was 12 kids doing it and all but 2 were in full football kits and boots, (the parents obviously come prepared for a football club) it wasn't just a bit of fun, it was serious stuff, parents shouting at their kids to get a grip and sort it out, not my idea of a great family holiday.

a lot of the daytime entertainment i found was aimed at young girls with Angelina ballerinas dance class, again not what my son would have enjoyed,
there were gaps of 2-3 hours where there was not a lot to do

height restrictions in the fun fair, i thought were a little OTT, but they are there to be safe i guess, the worst one we thought was the dodgems

food on the basic dining was not fantastic neither was it inedible, it was nice with a good choice every evening and a great choice of desserts, with salads and fruit always available, morning breakfast got boring very quickly but it filled a hole for the morning tea, coffee and juices all included
beachcomber in for lunch was lovely, always fresh and quick,

swimming pool is great fun, slides great, master blaster is worth waiting for if it does not break down, the kids will love it
i would stay again, more for the hotel than the resort

but we had fun and that's what its all about

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
oldham, lancs
Reviewed 1 June 2013

First the good things - Hotel room was comfortable and well equipped. It was great having a seperate sleping area for our daughter. The fair was a hit with her too, they are very strict about height restrictions but that's ok, it felt safe and well organised. We found the food acceptable. It takes some time to get used to the do's and don'ts, rules etc. We 'dined around' a couple of nights but they do require 24hr notice to do this? Generally, there was enough choice but more fruit would have been welcomed. What there was, was of poor quality.

The pool was just OK too. Long queues most of the time and the master blaster is prone to breaking down which makes the wait even longer. When waiting for the flumes, you have to pass a part of the building that runs by the area where the sewage passes onto the beach. Oh man, the smell is so disgusting!! No water ride is worth it!!

What I really disliked about the place though is the amount of arcades there are - absolutely everywhere. I know some would say you don't have to spend your money on them but that's all well and good when you're an adult - not for a six year old. I wouldn't object to specific discreet areas but in the main tent/hall there are tons of the beasts. Most of them churn out tickets which are then converted into cheap nasty tat, you know the stuff that kids love. There are often queues for the machines that count them too. The whole thing is one great money making scam and it's cheap and cynical of Butlins to pedal this.

I also disliked the evenings too. I'm not averse to cheesy entertainment as long as it's not in a cavenous, stinky, sprawling hall in which you end up roaming for ages looking for a seat/table. As the fair and pool shut early, its's either this or the arcades - not my idea of a holiday.

Overall, it was a long drive for us to get here and one we definitely wouldn't make again. To be honest, I probably wouldn't go again even if it were on my doorstep. Back to centerparcs it is then.

4 Thank catait
Brighton
Reviewed 1 June 2013

Good bits:

The rooms are modern, comfortable and spacious. The redcoats and butlers are lovely with the kids and very helpful and entertaining. The shows are brilliant, the Splash World pool is great fun and there's a really good pro soccer coach. Kid 1 had a blast. Kid 2 did for a bit till she got sick and therein lies the problem.

Bad bits:

Room not properly cleaned. In the buffet they make you sanitize your hands and insist they serve you then they give you cold food and dirty side plates (the bug I assume came from this or the communal areas and not because we did or did not sanitize). They run out of basics like milk and teaspoons. Things are moved round and rules changed willy nilly. On the second to last day Soccer Camp is moved to a puddle and sand covered pitch while the dry state of the art football pitch is used for falconry. The hotel staff seem to be in a constant state for fear instead of giving you a good time.The lifts are a nightmare because there are only two of them and everyone checks in and out on a Friday or Monday.

We would go back to Butlins Bognor but not to the Ocean Hotel. I think next time we would self cater. The meal packages are a rip off (Dinner Buffet advertised as being worth £17.50 but you only get £13.50 towards a meal in other venues).

1 Thank Sussex_Family_Guy
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We are currently staying at the Ocean Hotel. The first day has not been great to say the least. The room is nice but not enough storage. Towels provided were dirty.
The restaurant at the hotel served inedible food with tiny portions and after paying a lot for half board drinks (Tea, squash) is not included when it is included in the basic resort restaurants. And theyre not cheap!! So hungry we had to get a burger king.
We love Butlins so are so far disappointed but we will see what the rest of the week brings!!!

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank fleurs1233
Neath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

We stayed here for my sons 7 th birthday last June. Spotless modern hotel. The children had a lovely room with DVD player. My bed had beautiful mood lights behind which really set good mood in the room. We had the dining package, which we were happy about as all the food was fresh and hot, and each night was a different variety to choose from. The drinks have to be purchased separate a each meal time. The only meal that comes with tea coffee and juice is the breakfast. We are returning this may to June weekend.

Room Tip: Take money with you on your evening meal, as the drinks need to be paid for separate. Not included i...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
bury st edmunds
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I'm going to write an honest review and I hope I don't sound like a moaning minnie!!

We stayed in a Mariner room at this hotel, it was lovely.. Separate children's den which meant we felt like we had some space as did the children, blissfull shower... Comfy beds spacious etc i could go on.

The main areas of the hotel are nice and clean etc, the ocean is in a good position on the complex, right near the funfair which was a bonus for us, the central tent only a 5 min walk.

Butlins at Bognor in my opinion is not as good as Skegness. The funfair doesn't cater for the younger kids, my daughter is 4, there were only 2 rides she could really go on, at Skeg they have quite a few more. Bognor has the usual penny arcades as well, these kept her amused, and us skint. The entertainment as always was very good, I HIGHLY recommend the Sesame Street show, as a hotel guest we got to go to an earlier viewing even that was packed so I dread to think what the regular viewing was like.

Now for the food issue with the hotel. It costs more to dine within the hotel, BUT with evening meals you have to pay for your drinks, I wasn't aware of this, maybe I didn't read the small print... At Skeg your drinks (not alcoholic) are included... Bognor do allow you to have water, but after a few days you crave something else. At breakfast in Bognor your coffee etc is included but you can't help yourself, you have to order tea, coffee, toast, pancakes etc from your server, as you can imagine when it's busy you have to wait for these things not the staffs fault I know, but I feel they could learn a few things from Skeggy (I promise I don't have shares in Skeg..)

Breakfast on our final morning was a shambles so much so we ended up in a MC D's down the road, they had a queuing system in place which consisted of the server shouting "who's next?" So you can imagine it was a free for all... We were on a time schedule so didn't want to wait any longer than we already had.

In summary, if I could take the hotel and the rooms over to Skeg and keep Skegs way of doing the food I would be one very happy bunny. I think our next Butlins break would be to.... Yup Skeg.

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We stayed at the ocean hotel after being up graded.The hotel was spotless all the staff were very friendly and went out of there way to help you.The food was first class.Hope to go back very soon.The entertainment in the centre stage was good bar staff were great.Been to butlins 6 times always have a great time.Looking forward to the next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bognor Regis
#2 of 26 in Bognor Regis
The Aldwick Bed & Breakfast
The Aldwick Bed & Breakfast
#5 of 26 in Bognor Regis

Been to Ocean Hotel at Bognor Regis? Share your experiences!