“Great holiday for kids but choose your accommodation wisely!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Having never been to Butlins before we didn't really know what to expect. I'd heard from a few people that its great for kids and as we have a soon to be 4 year old we thought we'd give it a go.

We booked online and were pleasantly surprised by the price, £130 odd for 4 nights standard self catering room at Bognor. We um-med and ah-red about choosing a standard room but thought we'd spend more time out of the room than in it and as long as its clean it would suffice.This choice of accommodation however turned out to be a poor one!

Obviously I can only tell you of our feelings and experiences but I would urge other "first timers" to consider things before going for the cheaper option of a standard room.

My first impression on opening the door to our room was that it looked rather tired and neglected, nothing major just the signs of dodgy painting, bodge job repairs and stained carpets. After the initial disappointment my wife and I decided that while it was a bit drab it was actually clean and so in light of what we had payed it would do the job for our 4 days.
This was however until I decided to do a dummy run of transforming the sofa into a double bed and was greeted by a mattress cover that looked like it had been thrown out of a hospital, it was disgusting, covered in what I can only imagine to be large blood and urine stains!! I immediately went to the accommodation service room where a member of staff took our room number and without apologising for the state of it, said someone would come to sort it asap.
True to their word a member of the accommodation team turned up about 30 mins later but to my confusion was carrying another mattress?! We decided to take the new mattress as it looked a lot cleaner and we thought 2 mattresses would only make the bed even more comfortable......How wrong we were!!
That night my wife managed around 30 mins laying on the sofa bed before retreating to the other single bed in with my son. I on the other hand stuck out the full night despite the bed squeaking every time you move and always rolling you into the middle as it was misshapen.
Needless to say the next morning I felt like I'd been sleeping rough and that was the end of the sofa bed. The next night in desperation we pushed the two single beds in the bedroom together and me, my wife and son all shared those. This made night times a little more bearable but unfortunately brings me on to my next point - THE NOISE!

The noise was a big issue at night and I'm not referring to building noise that others seem to have suffered but that of surrounding rooms. The rooms are laid out in a 2 story row of apartments and the walls are paper thin. Our biggest gripe unfortunately, and in fairness its not Butlins fault, is the constant banging of apartment doors. With such a high density of rooms in rows you constantly hear doors banging as people go out for a smoke or come back late from the bars, you can accept it at 9 or even 10pm as you're on holiday but at 1 or 2 am when you are trying to sleep it gets a little tedious to say the least!! Like I say this is not through fault of Butlins but just bear in mind that not all people are as considerate as others and with so many people visiting Butlins there are some who think nothing of banging doors, shouting and letting their kids run up and down the corridors in the wee small hours.

To summarize as I realise I'm rambling a bit. Butlins for us was a holiday of two halves, fantastic by day with all of the free entertainment, great swimming pool and many rides but a real stress in the late evening with uncomfortable sleeping and constant noise disturbance.

We would definitely visit Butlins Bognor again as like I say it makes a great family break but we would definitely NOT stay in the standard self catering apartments again. In my opinion it really is worth paying the relatively slight price increase to ensure that your evenings are as enjoyable as the day time.

Like I say that was our experience and our feeling of the holiday, others may have had a far better experience of the standard accommodation and associated noise. I'm just putting our experience out there for anyone who's interested. Oh and I wish I'd known about this website before I booked our holiday!!!

Room Tip: Avoid booking a room in Oyster bay, its far too noisy at night with doors slamming etc...
6  Thank myholidayday
Write a ReviewReviews (3,798)

Reviewed 1 April 2012

Went for a week 26-30 March 2012 paid for a silver chalet and were upgraded to Shoreline Hotel.

Lovely room, right near the sea ;) everyday the maid cleaned the rooms and did an animal on the end of our bed with towels! The rooms were roomy but the walls were thin! You could here what the neighbours were upto!

My son loved they finished for an hour between 12 & 1 so it was easy to get my kids to lunch! Also they finished at 4 so easy getting them to dinner as well ;) at 8:30 every night you could put billy bear to bed which was at our hotel which my son LOVED!

We paid for premier dining and breakfast was ample! Continental, cereals, full English andante unlimited tea, coffee and fruit juice and squash - dinner was a different roast meat every night, fish was every night and there was different Chinese options and currys, desserts were good too! Ice cream machine too ;) baby food was provided which I was not aware of so no need to take your own!

Shows were good and kept our little one entertained as did the 2p machines ;) we had such a good time we are going back next year ;) x

2  Thank Scorpion_9999
Reviewed 1 April 2012

very disappointed in the Silver Accommodation. Decor left a lot to be desired and there were only 4 mugs and glasses when there were 6 of us and as others have mentioned very ANNOYING DRIPPING TAPS.
There was not enough to do for our grandchildren aged 8 to 13 finding that babies and toddlers were more catered for. we would turn up for events only to find no one there and although splashworld was very good the botton of the pool is very rough causing grazing to their feet. But we found the staff very friendly, helpful and entertaining. The shows were good and the food quite enjoyable.
The rides we had to pay for were very expensive especially the walking on water. at £5 for 5 mins it was a total rip off. we did buy passes but found that two of our granchildren weren't tall enough to use them.
Not a bad time due tothe glorious weather but don't think we'll return next year.
Probably wouldn't go again as not enough to do for teenagers.

Room Tip: I paid £10 extra for ground floor accomodation but ended up with horrible view of the stores entranc...
1  Thank flinnylynx2
Reviewed 31 March 2012

Butlins staff truly are the most helpful I have found in a long time. Sophie at Guest Services went out of her way to help me out today. Staff that go above and beyond what their job entails always deserve recognition. Fear not if you ever need help at Butlins, Bognor as Sophie will be there for you. She made a very stressful situation easier to handle. Thank You!

4  Thank NikalaR
Reviewed 30 March 2012

On our arrival to check in member of the security explained how in things ran at the resort and gave us a contact card if we needed anything. The redcoats were very entertaining and a big shout out to the skyline gang I ( I mean my little one) really enjoyed their show!. Tots Soccer was a very well organised session which the tots and parents enjoyed, (quack quack). Accommodation was better than we expected too. I know Butlins don't control the weather but it was brill :)

1  Thank MYSSMAY
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Cleaner was late, told us we were early. No they were late. So we went away and came back safe in the knowledge the cleaner had cleaned the accomnodation....
Later I took my 2 yr old son to the shower cubicle, I turned the dial on the shower, knocked a soap holder and a large multi-bladed ladies razor fell, knocked my forearm and fell into the cubicle near my son. Luckily he didn't get hold of it. We were lucky, imagine being cut by a dirty razor not knowing the history of it and wondering whether any life threatening viruses or diseases were on it! What did Butlins staff do? - Not a thing, we had to dispose of it and clean the place ourselves ! - want a lovely relaxing break? - go somewhere else. I've since heard horror stories from friends and family. Take it from me - you'd be safer having a holiday in a crack house!

Room Tip: My best tip. Save your money for a break in a nice clean resort/hotel - this isn't it!
Reviewed 28 March 2012

we normally go to Skegness but decided to try Bogner Regis instead, from having to park far from the accomadation to having a very disorganised and not helpfull arrivalk checkin set up i found that Bogner Regis is no where as good as Skegness, i would happly reccomend Butlins but i would reccomend that you viset Butlins at Skegness not Bogner Regis.

Room Tip: do not take a lot of stuff with you as there is no parking near the accomudation, check in is very u...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bognor Regis
Hilton Avisford Park
#5 of 7 in Arundel
6 mi away
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!