“The Wave Hotel Butlins”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I have just spent a four night break at the Wave Hotel Butlins Bognor Regis with my two kids of 8 and 6. We had booked a Reef Apartment which was fantastic, gave us room to enjoy the experience in a bright and airy enviornment, great bathroom, large reception area, lounge, kitchen, diner and good bedrooms. Had a b and b option which was enough with two young kids but it was a walk to the Beachcomber for breakfast and in the sunshine it was great and a relaxed way to start the day. In the evening you could cook in the apartment as well equipped or you could order take away from places like Papa Johns pizza and pasta that the kids enjoyed as they were able to deliver kid sized pizzas. There is a 24 hour Tesco close by but you will need a car or taxi and plenty of other options in and around Bognor if you wanted something different. Kids were well catered for and entertainment was covered at every angle and opportunity but Splashworld was a blast. Leave your preconceived ideas about Butlins at the door as my opinion was changed two years ago when we first stayed at the Ocean Spa Hotel. You will see things you dont like but that can happen in The Maldives but the enviornment Butlins has created allows you to have a good break that you can enjoy especially if you have young kids. The Wave is a great place to stay for four nights and Butlins should stretch the hotel side of the business across all resorts to accomodate the changing requirement of holiday makers in the UK and Sussex is such a great place tyo spend some time if you get fed up with redcoats and arcades. Take another look at Butlins it will make you smile.

Room Tip: If you book a reef apartment take some washing up liquid, tea towel, dishwasher tablets and a j clot...
2  Thank Dean S

Reviewed 3 September 2012

Just came back from a superb break at Butlins in Bognor Regis. We had that rare experience when walking into the hotel of "wow, this is better than I expected". Lovely staff, amazing apartment and the kids loved the computer games room. We had a great time - would recommend very highly.

Room Tip: Sixth floor wave apartment with Sea view, was super!.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew C
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Was not happy with quality of rooms or the food. Some of the staff were really friendly but others were almost rude. The location was good and there were lots of things to do for younger kids who did enjoy the rides and soft play.

Reviewed 3 September 2012

We took a mid week break during the school holidays at the wave hotel, Butlins, Bognor, have to say it was great, never been before and my kids are a little older than the norm 11 and 16, but they enjoyed it too the wifi and pool were a big hit with the 16 year old and the 11 year old loved it all. All of the Butlins staff from Red Coats down to the cleaners were friendly and helpful.

The Wave hotel was lovely, the room lovely, colourful and modern, the house keeping service was great, the reception staff helpful and friendly.

We went with premium dining plan, have seen other people's reviews that are negative, but overall it was quite good, you had every option you could think of for breakfast hot and cold, evening meals had a vast verity.

Overall a good relaxing enjoyable holiday

2  Thank Ryel1
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Have only been to Butlins on Adult weekend breaks in the past which were half decent. Me and my partner decided to stay here for a weekend break with the idea of taking the kids here during the October half term if it was any good as we have seen so many mixed review's.

Well on arriving we was seen very quick when checking in, we booked the Sliver accommodation with breakfast and dinner included as all hotels where completely booked out for that weekend or so I was lead to believe, also on the website when booking I was told to hurry as the room I wanted was the last one so I booked straight away.

We got to our room and was shocked by the state of the room, for the price we paid I could have gone aboard, would have been basic but still could have got on a plane and at least a 3* hotel for the same price. The room was terrible, rotten wood in the bathroom, stains all over the carpet, bed was terrible. Then after about 4 minutes I hear people talking, I thought it was coming from the bedroom, I walk over to this door in the room and it was the people next door I could hear, they weren’t shouting but it sounded like they where in the same room, when I laid on the floor I could look under the door which left about a 2 inch gap from the bottom of the door to the floor so not only could I see in there room, the noise could clearly come through this door.

I went to Guest Services and complained and was reluctantly given another swipe key card and told to check to see if the new room was up to my standards, my partner knew what was coming next so gave me a little tug to leave the office as I was about to explode.

On arriving to the new room, again rotten wood in the bathroom, the bathroom was disgusting, I felt dirty walking out of it, and then to my amazement there was 2 single beds, so again we went back and explained that either they sort out a decent room or I want my £500+ pounds back, in the end we looked at 7 different rooms, bearing in mind on the website I was told I booked the last room in the sliver accommodation.

I wanted to leave, but my partner said that the last room we looked at was ok, all we needed was for house keeping to replace the mattress as there was dry blood stains all over it and the only reason we found this out was because house keeping managed to get a single sheet on a double bed, so as soon as you sat on it the sheet would shoot off.

We was given a mattress protector and a new double bed sheet and then about 10 minutes later the fire alarm kept going off, so another walk to guest services to get a new battery for the alarm, which they said someone would be around to do it in 10 minutes, after waiting 30 minutes we left for dinner.

We walked in and all seemed ok, then we had to try and get a table, the tables that weren’t taken hadn’t been cleared. We walked about for about 3 minutes and found a little table that we sat at. Walked over to get some food and it was like, survival of the fittest or the fattest fight for the last bacon ration. People where kicking kids out the way for the food, you could go up as much as you wanted but people where given you dirty looks if you looked at something to long or if you didn’t move fast enough, people barging and pushing, was shocked.

Anyway without a fight we managed to get burger and chips which were again terrible. No hot water for tea and the juices had been watered down so much it was like drinking coloured water.

I know I may sound like a complainer but I see it as Butlins won’t give me a free holiday, so if I pay for something and it’s not any good and I don’t say anything then Butlins are getting my money for free.

I complained and offered to pay extra to go into the next dinning court which was the Yacht club and they just upgraded us for nothing and I must say that it was 100% better, food, people and always a table. IF I was to ever return I would ask to eat in the Yacht Club. So god only knows what the bottom dinning hall was like 

Swimming pool was good, pretty much the same as it was 10 years ago, apart from one slide is not used anymore. Could do with an upgrade, Lazy river was mental, kids/teens hitting and throwing the rings at each other, a ring hit a kid about 4 years old, the dad was going to kill this kids and me and another guy had to hold him back, life guards to busy chatting to young girls on holiday to tell the kids not to throw things in a swimming pool which is just common sense, I had to point out to the life guard that 2 kids went down the slide together as he was to busy playing with his side parting. Pool was just to busy.

I found that so many slot machines where not working they should, sometimes not giving you all the winnings, the wheels not working so when you think you have won the haven’t, I had to keep asking the staff to fix problems and give me back the money I had won, this was again embarrassing as I had on 2 occasions a member of staff say to me twice that this machine works ok, are you sure your not on the fiddle and laughed, I didn’t find it funny, if the machine is willing to take my money then when it don’t pay out when it should then I should be given the money back, no questions asked, and to be fair I’m not going to lie for £2.00.

Also the Darts, it would be better if they had a booking system or just more boards as there was 3 families who where always playing, when I asked at the counter I was told it was first come first serve, but seeing as we managed to play 1 hour of pool, 2 rounds of bowling and watch some of the Olympics and up and down to the bar and the families where still playing was a bit unfair.

I asked for cash back at the bar and got the maximum of £50, the guy closed the till and walked off, I turned around and waited for him to come back which he didn’t I asked another member of staff what was going on and I had to wait at the bar for over 30 minutes while they found this guy and sorted the problem out.

We went to eat in Papa Johns restaurant one afternoon which was nice, after the meal I went to the toilet and my partner went outside to take a call from her work but we still had drinks on the table, I come out the toilet after about 5 minutes and a waitress was standing outside the toilet waiting for me! I walked back to the table with her following me, I asked her what the problem was and where was our drinks. She replied I thought you and your partner had left without paying!!! People where looking and it was so embarrassing, I paid and left, as I was leaving , my partner walked back in as she only went outside to take a call as people where eating around us and didn’t want to be rude. But I wanted to leave and forget our drinks as I was so embarrassed.

I felt like I was spending more time complaining then enjoying my break, I have been Butlins many times over the years but this year was bad, I know it could have been a lot worse but these simply things should not be happening seeing how much it cost to stay at Butlins.

Entertainment was good if you can get a seat and table in there, if your not in the main hall upstairs by 7:30 then good luck finding a table, let alone a chair.

It’s good for kids, but there is also a lot of stuff you need to pay for so what you pay for in the beginning is a lot, you will need a lot more to keep the kids going as the free stuff or the stuff that includes in the price gets boring very quick…

Would I go back, NO, maybe in a few years time.

P.S TRY THE SPA, THAT WAS REALLY GOOD, BUT A SHAME TO HAVE COME ALL THIS WAY FOR A DECENT SPA

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Positives

Good and enjoyable for kids
Lots to do, with shows daily Some real thought has gone into the site
Indoor and outdoor funfair, vast majority of the rides are free
Kids aged 5 - 10 will enjoy and get the most from this resort
Able to access the pebble beach easily right on the resort doorstep
Free swim / splash pool when you choose certain packages
Lots of food choice for buffet - hot food counters
Lots of choice for evening meal / lunches
Entertainment is included - the team try their best with structured activity for all age ranges

Negatives

Staff in the shoreline weren't the friendliest - seems like they had had enough -the smiles were missing although they tried
Daily housekeeping wasn't great - missed bits and felt like the staff were under pressure to complete with absences to cover - staff on desk said they would help but nothing
Felt the staff were pushing customers to take breakfast at papa johns - not as nice as the hotel breakfast which has more choice
Papa johns was filthy - needed a thorough clean bits from previous night on the tables and chairs
The entertainment hall reds was even worse, smelt like beer had been spilt everywhere old peanuts and crisps on the floor - couldn't manage to sit down - although here the staff tried with the kids to help them enjoy it
Shoreline hotel gave me a red blotchy skin rash which was worse when I got into bed - told the staff who said they would deep clean the room - couldn't tell what had been deep cleaned
On arrival the room hummed of smoke - staf said they would get rid of this - they left the French doors open for some fresh air - it never changed no alternative given
Bath has a quirk of slow waste water draining - this quirk meant that I showered in my kids muck
The bed in the room supposedly a king was two singles together it meant I would fall in the gap as the two beds parted during the night

Room Tip: Book a proper sea view it may be worth as a better room
Reviewed 1 September 2012

Really nice day out. Fab pool and small funfair which amused teens and younger kids. Would recommend. Only comment is all activitys close at 6pm but you can stay till 8pm. Other activity like bungee jumps and climbing walls expensive

• Stayed: August 2012
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis
The Thatched House
The Thatched House
#19 of 26 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!