My family and I have just returned from a stay at Butlins in Bognor Regis 24th Feb 2014.
Having previously stayed in both chalets and self-catering I called the Butlins Booking Line, to enquire whether the hotel apartments were secure. They advised that all the accommodation had secure doors and that our children would be safe. This was important because our disabled 4 year-old son has no awareness of safety.
Unfortunately when we checked into the accommodation on Friday, our apartment door did not have a chain to secure it.
A card reader was fitted to enable you to open the door, however there was no way of locking the door from the inside to prevent my children wandering.
I immediately raised this with the hotel reception to ensure that our accommodation was secured. The receptionist advised that there were no locks on the doors and this was due to health and safety. When I said that we needed to secure the door because my son has no awareness of safety; they arranged for guest services to bring a chair to our apartment and attempt to jam-it under the door handle. I was unsure how jamming a chair under the door handle would have been safer than if the door was fitted with a chain and bolt. However, upon arrival, the staff member was unable to jam the chair under the door handle which was several inches higher than the back of the chair and so gave-up.
Since guest services failed to secure our apartment, I went to our hotel reception again to ask them to secure the apartment. I re-iterated that our 4 year old son has no safety awareness and again asked why there was no chain to secure it. Again the receptionist said that no chain and bolt was fitted, due to health and safety. I said that since both chalets and self-catering accommodation have chains fitted to secure the doors; this cannot be due to health and safety.
The receptionist then got a stair gate and fitted this to secure the entrance to the children’s bedroom.
When our son went to bed that evening, he was able to open the stair gate without issue. My wife and I therefore had to take it in turns to stay up at night and ensure that he didn’t get up and leave our accommodation. The lack of sleep spoilt our enjoyment of the holiday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bognor Regis is officially one of Britain’s sunniest locations, sitting right on the West Sussex coast. Within just a couple of hours drive from London, Butlin's Bognor Regis is the perfect getaway. Known as a traditional seaside town, we’ve given it a modern ‘twist’ with two funky hotels; the Ocean Hotel and the Shoreline Hotel. There’s a relaxing spa (ideal for grown-ups) and if you feel like discovering the area around the resort, the South Downs National Park and heritage sites are right on your doorstep. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Butlins Bognor Regis Hotel Bognor Regis
- Butlins Hotel Bognor Regis
- Butlins Resort Bognor Regis
- Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort West Sussex