“Cannot secure accomodation to prevent children leaving”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My family and I have just returned from a stay at Butlins in Bognor Regis 24th Feb 2014.

Having previously stayed in both chalets and self-catering I called the Butlins Booking Line, to enquire whether the hotel apartments were secure. They advised that all the accommodation had secure doors and that our children would be safe. This was important because our disabled 4 year-old son has no awareness of safety.

Unfortunately when we checked into the accommodation on Friday, our apartment door did not have a chain to secure it.
A card reader was fitted to enable you to open the door, however there was no way of locking the door from the inside to prevent my children wandering.

I immediately raised this with the hotel reception to ensure that our accommodation was secured. The receptionist advised that there were no locks on the doors and this was due to health and safety. When I said that we needed to secure the door because my son has no awareness of safety; they arranged for guest services to bring a chair to our apartment and attempt to jam-it under the door handle. I was unsure how jamming a chair under the door handle would have been safer than if the door was fitted with a chain and bolt. However, upon arrival, the staff member was unable to jam the chair under the door handle which was several inches higher than the back of the chair and so gave-up.

Since guest services failed to secure our apartment, I went to our hotel reception again to ask them to secure the apartment. I re-iterated that our 4 year old son has no safety awareness and again asked why there was no chain to secure it. Again the receptionist said that no chain and bolt was fitted, due to health and safety. I said that since both chalets and self-catering accommodation have chains fitted to secure the doors; this cannot be due to health and safety.

The receptionist then got a stair gate and fitted this to secure the entrance to the children’s bedroom.

When our son went to bed that evening, he was able to open the stair gate without issue. My wife and I therefore had to take it in turns to stay up at night and ensure that he didn’t get up and leave our accommodation. The lack of sleep spoilt our enjoyment of the holiday.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Peter_Reilly2014

Reviewed 26 March 2014

booked via the suns £9.50 holiday deals and what can i say absolutely stunning throughly enjoyed every minute however do NOT recommend half board very same mass produced school dinner style meals recommend the spa if you can get a few hours child free (with all the entertainment shouldnt be too hard)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Just returned from a great weekend, 60's , on arrival was upgraded to silver apartment, which we were really impressed with, so clean and accomodating, the staff were great on arrival too, this was our first experience on one of these themed weekends. We were on Food Court Dining, the food was excellent and such a choice, the staff were really great too. Thought the whole resort was very clean, toilets, entertainment venues too. On the downside, which can be put right, no mattress protectors on beds. Also the security lady on the Fri and Sunday evening, Centre Stage needs to go back to charm school, the way she was asking to look in our handbags was so unprofessional. Screaming out like someone possessed, I found this very offensive, Im 64 not 16. That was my only gripe, everything else made a perfect weekend. THANKYOU BUTLINS,

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan O
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I went to Butlins with my daughter on 28th Feb 2014 for the weekend. I purchased deluxe accommodation instead of standard for 2 reasons - I stayed in standard 2 years ago and it was a bit worn looking and I didn't sleep well as you could hear everything outside the window tip late at night and early in the morning. First impressions were good - we had our own parking space (although someone was parked in our number so we had to use a different one). Then we went to bed - I pulled the bed covers back to find a stain on the sheets, and then some holes in the bed linen - bare in mind this was deluxe accommodation, in the bathroom there were holes in the bath panel and the taps in the bath were covered in lime scale - they were very dull (but i don't think that it would have been cleaned off - it needed replacing). In the morning it became apparent that there were holes in the curtains. It was annoying but we got on with our holiday. Things have changed in 2 years, many activities that were free before you had to pay for, a couple of the rides were closed (the dodgers being one) and one of the arcades was closed. In Centre stage that evening - all of the seats were taken so i sat on the floor with my daughter - it was dirty and sticky - not pleasant. On my return home I decided that having holes and stains on the sheets was not acceptable for "Deluxe Accommodation" and decided to complain - today i received a letter stating as I had not complained whilst there they were not taking any further action - they haven't even looked into the issues i raised (I submitted photos) - my argument is why should I waste MY time whilst I paid to be away to find and complain to them - the least they could have done is to ensure their sheets are not full of holes and that there are no stains on the sheets for future guests!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't go unless you can put up with drab, worn interiors.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank sjb1503
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Went on hen weekend to 80s adults only in March .wasn't sure what to expect but had a great weekend ,Stayed in silver rooms which were perfect for what we needed .Had bathrooms , tea and coffee making facilities , very good heating . Comfy beds . noisy at nights with drunken party goers but would expect that ! had a dining plan which was excellent , Food was varied ,plentiful and tasty. dining experience was excellent ,always managed to seat all 14 of us together , Staff at whole complex were friendly and helpful. Entertainment was great .had fun on dodgem cars and carousel . The beach is really close .Only negatives were bars in evening with long wait wIth for drinks ,needed more staff to deal with queues , Overall a good value adults weekend .

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Went to Soul Weekender with 16 of us for my sons birthday. Basic room we had and basic room we got so no problem there. The second bedroom has 2 very hard mattresses .We stayed in Oyster bay and didn't get no sleep all night for 3 nights due to shouting and music coming from outside of other rooms. By 6.30am all was quiet. People seem to go in twos in the toilet cubicles and in the evenings we had to stand up all night to watch the performances as could not get any seats due to too many people. Wasn't allowed in a venue until my son removed a sponge willy from his clothing because management said it is offensive !! we were allowed toy guns though! Well I think Management need to sort out their priorities out and put security in the toilets and around the site to stop the noise in the early hours so people can have a few hours sleep. This was our second visit and will go again but will stay in the hotel hoping to get some sleep next time. Can recommend the food and we upgraded as it was a fantastic choice of menu and eat as much as we want.

Room Tip: Stay in the Hotel if you want any sleep
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank barbarabrogan01
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Wow what a weekend! Had a gold apartment which was clean, stylish & really close to the Pavillion. Little touches like swanned towels, welcome pack of tea, coffee, washing up stuff, toiletries & dishwasher were unexpected but welcome. What made the weekend was the theme, the staff and fab company, everyone dressed up on the Saturday and just partied, the staff couldn't have been lovelier and yes the bar was packed but the staffs slick service meant the wait wasnt too long. The ladies Loos were constantly monitored and I didnt once walk into a loo without paper (my bugbear!). Go West were amazing then the DJs took over and rocked the place, unfortunately Heaven 17 the next day were a no show but they still put on a great night, they were replaced by Hue & Cry the next day (where's Linda?), the Tribute Bands were top notch and the nights flew by hence the birds were singing by the time we got back to the apartment. I'm not even taking points away for the aroma and sticky floor in the main entertainment areas as they would be fighting a losing battle to prevent that with packed revellers spilling drinks! We met some cracking people (miss you already!) and had a amazing time thanks Butlins! :) Ooo and thanks for the plentiful supply of luggage trolleys too!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
The Inglenook Hotel & Restaurant
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
#2 of 26 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!