“It's terribly good and terribly bad in equal measure” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlins Bognor Regis Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlins Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Camborne, United Kingdom
“It's terribly good and terribly bad in equal measure”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Ok I'm going to admit this from the start I was threatened with a near death experience on the Saturday night if we didn't take the kids on holiday over the half term break starting on the Monday......we live in cornwall why do we need to go on holiday you may ask however apparently visiting the same beach for the last 8 years is apparently not cutting it and a change of scenery is called for!

Due to the fact I was looking at a serious arctic winter shoulder much internet emergency browsing ensued and finally mainly due to the terror of facing a damp and cold caravan ended up getting a bit of a bargain late booking 50% off a hotel at the well known Mediterranean hotspot known as "bognor butlins" and 4 of us visited over Easter....well kind of Easter it's two weeks to go but everyone has been urged to have compulsory fun/break early this year as the schools want the kids back still scoffing on half a ton of chocolate!!!our party comprised of me (age 39) the better half (age classified but a clue is 1 year nearer to 30 then me!) and two girls (10 & 6)

Firstly the good bits before you all stop reading this and think here we go another trip advisor moan by some miserable old bugger. The hotel was great (ocean) great sized room, balcony and sea view which incidentally we didn't pay the £45 to guarantee and just got lucky. The fair was great and not big queues so my oldest daughter took great delight in jumping off the dodgems and racing around to get str8 back on...she drove so often I'm debating whacking her in for her driving test but bearing in mind at 10 years old her insurance would probably be about half a million quid she might have to save a bit longer!!!

The evening entertainment was good in particular the circus de hilarity which was top class we did have trouble getting a seat so stood at the side by the bar whilst the kids sat on the dance floor so we were near the bar and the girls were near all the action...winner! Some of the evening entertainment can be hit and miss as the panto wasn't great but most of the music acts were good quality....the Robbie Williams tribute act might need a bit of a reality check though in the words of maroon 5 he may move like jagger but sings like my aunt megan :)

Now to a couple of the negative bits...the swimming pool is a bit of a disgrace, changing rooms are stinking and could do with a bit of a revamp and the pool itself was overcrowded and looked tired and dated....I suggest butlins could do with a timed (45min peak times) coloured armband system to limit numbers and maybe a dry in wet out system in the changing cubicles....both my girls love swimming so in past holidays it is quite a central part for us and this time has had to take a proper backseat.

Smells! Their are some real beauties in the skyline and main entertainment venue a kind of cross between damp and humming feet.....I put this down to the fact we are all far to healthy for our own good and the smoking ban has allowed it to happen as cigarettes used to mask the variety of delightful fragrances we used to be able to ignore!

Bognors central location has meant trips out have been good with a fun visit to gunwharf quay in Portsmouth for shopping, cinema and food and on a separate day a trip to the new forest to use our mountain bikes which we had the foresight to bring to butlins even though we left them strapped to the bike rack on the back of the car in the butlins complex as you can't really ride them about

and finally I'm happy to say due to the proximity of bognor to london the girls ended up getting the swim of their dreams in the end.....not at the butlins pool but from the trek up to london to use the London Olympic aquatic centre pool right on the Friday right after checkout.....maybe not the direct route home to sunny cornwall but an opportunity to good to miss!

so to summarise use bognor for the hotel and evening entertainment but don't feel as though you have to stay on the complex because quite frankly you would be driven insane over 5 days but use it as an opportunity to get out and about too :)

6 Thank Pitty1975

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Polish first
Tonbridge, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had a fantastic 4 day break, with helpful, friendly staff whenever you needed them, right from entering the gates. The swimming pool was great, the entertainment was first class, there were plenty of places to go and lots of things included in the price, such as the fairground. Everywhere was very well signposted and the restaurants were great. However the accommodation (we chose Silver) was a bit lacking and could so easily be put right. The carpet was dirty and needed a good shampoo (I think that if carpets can't be regularly shampooed they should be replaced with washable flooring) there were no mattress protectors on the beds, which made me feel unclean, although the bedding was clean itself. The door couldn't be closed from outside without slamming it - not good for the neighbours. The kids loved the games machines, but the system of winning lots and lots of tickets, then queuing to feed them into a machine for a voucher, then queuing to redeem them for a pound-shop type item was a bit pointless. Quite easy things to fix, really. We don't mind machines that entertain (such as games) or have a decent chance of winning, but there were too many machines placed under children's noses where the odds were stacked against them, such as the toy grabbing machines (my son was so upset to 'nearly' win a batman teddy over and over that I got one on the internet when we got home). The shower was very weak, although the water was hot and there was nowhere to bathe our 3 year old who hates showers. We will probably stay in a hotel next time but will certainly visit Butlins for the entertainment again - aside from the too-many gaming machines I couldn't fault it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Helen H
Rochford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recently stayed here with my family and this has got to be the worst holiday I have ever had. I thought I would be safe staying in the newish Wave Hotel as I had read bad things about the chalets. I didn't take into account the rest of the place. The swimming pool complex was over crowded and therefore filthy, the changing rooms stank of urine and you were scared to put your bare feet down on the floor and the showers only trickled water because there were so many people using them.
We opted for the dine around package as we thought this gave us more choice, BUT it only entitles you to a voucher towards your meal at the other restaurants so you would HAVE to spend MORE money if you didn't eat at your allocated restaurant.
Numerous things were closed because they were either broken or had been removed completely ie. water raft ride NOT WORKING, bumper cars NOT WORKING, one of the flumes BRICKED UP, 2 outside rides REMOVED I can go on.
The food in the restaurant we did eat in (The Deck) was poor, the made to order pancakes were not made to order and were just placed on the counter, one day they were still frozen and we had to defrost them in the baby food microwave before we could eat them! They constantly run out of certain items of food and every single meal we had to ask for more cutlery as it was always dirty.
All in all this had got to be the worst place and holiday I have ever had and I will never ever return to Butlins.
I did contact customer services and they made lots of excuses none of which change the facts above.
Please see my photo's before you book.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank debbie l
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a brilliant time. We booked a six person chalet silver. It was basic but very clean. Most of the fun fair was free and yes even as adults we tried all the rides. All the bars were very slow at serving your drinks. Not enough staff but saying this the bar staff they had were really nice. The only problem we had was that we should have booked on an adult weekend and not a family week. Because we partied til the early hours we found that when we got back to our chalet we were to loud for the other residents. We were warned twice by security for the noise and threatened that we would be removed from the resort. We cannot fault the security they were very professional and it was our fault for getting so drunk. Please note they came back the next day to make sure you understood so no getting away with it. Please book a spa at the butlin hotel on the grounds £19.00 for 2hrs. Fantastic worth much more in relation to money. It was superb. Staff made you so welcome. We will defo be back just this time we will book adult weekend only. Thank you to everyone at butlins it was a holiday break we won't forget xx

Room Tip: Go for the highest for extreme comfort but if you want a bargain silver is like sleeping in a hotel...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank maris5
Harlow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

Having never been on a family break away to Butlins before I was quite apprehensive after reading some of the more scathing reviews on here, but I needn't have worried.

We went for a weekend break for my son's 4th Birthday, and from the moment we arrived we were made to feel incredibly welcome with good old fashioned 'nothing is too much trouble' customer service.

We stayed at the Shoreline hotel, which I understand is the oldest of the hotels, and I was expecting it to be a little tired and shabby, but it was definitely not. Our room was very clean and fresh, with a sea view and the beds, sheets and towels were all spotlessly clean and new (I make this point because in other reviews I had read that they weren't).

We went on a breakfast only package, and therefore ate in most of the eateries and we didn't have a bad meal in any of them. The buffet breakfast was very varied and delicious.

The swimming pool was always being cleaned by staff, and even though we were there over a busy school holiday weekend, there was always a (clean) changing room available.

The evening entertainment was first class.. once again, I wasn't expecting much, but the acts were brilliant, particularly Cirque du Hilarious. I have stayed at many amazing 5star hotels over the years, and the entertainment at Butlins definitely rivalled this!

I would absolutely recommend Butlins to anyone! It has something for all ages, and the value for money was second to none. With the exception of meals, all the activities and entertainment that we and our 4 & 8 year old children enjoyed was all included in the price. Thank you Butlins, for living up to your promises. We will be back!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Kelly S
Kent, uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I was not expecting much. I wanted somewhere I could celebrate my 60th with my children and grandchildren (all 5 and under). My son in law suggested Butlins and I'm glad he did. We stayed in the shoreline hotel, it was clean, friendly and the rooms where large and bright, and very old sound proofing. The food was excellent, loads to eat and plenty of variety, and you could eat in other restaurants if you chose. The entertainment for children and adults was great and the funfair was good for all ages. The splash pool is not a place where you can swim, but there where plumes, slides, wave machine and more that could be done, it could be made bigger, because it did get very busy. The staff where all friendly and smiling, all in all a great holiday holiday for all ages.

2 Thank Diane B
Hounslow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Went with a 5 and 10 year old and my hubby. We ALL had a fantastic time as there was always something for everyone. The kids were busy during the day doing all kinds of activities and we went swimming everyday too!
We stayed in the gold apartments and it was clean and spotless! It was like a home away from home. We went for HB and the food was amazing and there was definitely something for everyone food wise as the selection was amazing!!! The staff at the restaurant were brilliant and very helpful, especially the lady at the front of the restaurant always smiling and asking about our day.
The Red Coats were brilliant and our kids liked them.
The evening entertainment was incredible as we saw Dick and Dom and Cirque du Hilarious. Although the kids were laughing through all of it, so we're the adults as there were enough adult jokes included to keep us involved! I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard!!!
Definitely worth going as a family and we are already looking to book again soon!!!

1 Thank Salima M
Travelodge Arundel Fontwell
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
The Elmer Pub and Hotel
#4 of 28 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlins Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!