“"Wow there's TVs in the bunk beds!"”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Brighton UK
“"Wow there's TVs in the bunk beds!"”
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I think that just about sums up the excitement from the kids when we arrived at the Wave hotel. Apart from that, I was very impressed with the room. We stayed in a 4 bed room, brightly coloured, clean ( not sure what the previous comments are about ...having to bring your own wipes they must have come on a bad day), very very comfy beds. The service at the hotel, as is elsewhere across Butlins is impeccable. We have really enjoyed our stay, this is our second time to Butlins - the first time we stayed in the self catering chalets. I must say it's nice to stroll from one eatery to another, and not have to worry about supermarket shopping and cooking. Food at the Deck, although breakfast had a huge selection catering to most different tastes, in the evening was dissapointing. The ethnic selection a couple of token dishes like fried rice, incredibly bland noodles, some sort of sweet and sour, a chicken tikka thrown in... pretty dreadful. Butlins would do better hiring a couple of really genuine international chefs - give them carte blanche to create an excellent asian menu - much in a similar way to places like Singapore, Malaysia ( Butlins go and take a look at the resorts there like Universal Studios and their food street ) - food to me is one of the key experiences. Infact if I have to be honest for me its almost more important than the entertainment.

1 Thank liza_tong1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (788)
  • Polish first
Isle of Wight, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We visited for a weekend break, had lovely weather, staff on arrival were extremely helpful and gave us a free upgrade to gold accommodation which was unexpected but very pleasing. I think we will go for gold in the future. We have a 12, 13 and 9 year old, they all loved the entertainment in the evening but we're not that keen on going to any clubs, didn't matter, they went off and lots of fun on the fair and around the site there was always something good going on. Every member of staff we encountered were happy, helpful and went the extra mile. Our favourite evening entertainment was cirque du hilarious, although dick and Dom came in a very close second. Thank you bit like for a fab visit, 5 stars to you.

Room Tip: We went self catering but the pizza place on site was a great end to our visit, kids all you can eat...
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

my daughter and 1 have taken my grandchildren to Butlins for quite a few years , the kids always have a great time , this time we stayed in the Wave hotel , nice room with sea view , childrens room had bunk beds and both had their own TV , , however the housekeeping was very poor , and attention to the little things had been missed , there were suppossed to be 4 of us , however one of our grandsons did not come so there were 3 , luckerly as they had only left us 3 bath towles ,and 2 hand towles, there was no glasses or mugs in the bathroom for tooth brushes and no soap dish , when we told the girl making up the room next day, she left 3 bath towles and 1 hand towel
my daughter went to reception ,( did not whant then to think we had taken towles ) and before she got back to our room they had bought more , then the shower door did not fit correctly and i flooded the bathroom , milk for previouse guest had been left in the fridge , , as i say only small things , but its the small things that make a differance
, my 6 year old grandson loved the games room , and the cafe was nice , no as busy as the ones in the main area. swimming pool was quite cold this year , not just the water but the air , so children were shivering when they came out of the water to get dressed , shows were as ever very good , as was the food , will go back next year but not to the wave hotel .

Room Tip: ask for a sea view room ,
1 Thank christineTurner_11
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went for our yearly Butlins trip - another mixed bag.

Food:
I continue to dislike the choice of eateries - or rather the lack of takeaway choices. Don't like pizza so that leaves Burger King or sandwiches. Its only a short break so no big deal - Morrisons gain!

Supermarket:
Expensive.

Entertainment:
Mainly stuck to the Skyline owing to kids ages - pretty good. Seem to have changed the timings and whats on offer this year. Skyline Gang great as usual - but seems to be less shows overall.
Katie Perry and One Direction were good.
Also seems to be less booking ahead than last year.
Queues to get into popular things were massive and started early as ever.
We saw the end of the Freddie Mercury show - looked terrible - but saw the Blues show by the same people following it and that was very good.
Fireman Sam, Mike the Knight, Angelina, Barney - all enjoyed by my toddler.

Staff:
What really impresses is the non-stop enthusiasm of the SKyline Gang and Redcoats. They really go out of their way to be friendly and make you feel special. Chatting and talking etc.

All staff were great - all taking the time to ask how you are, filling in waiting time (eg at the pancake stall) by making conversation. This really does make a big difference and sets Butlins apart - I hope Butlins value these staff.

Car Parking:
New for this year is that you can no longer park near the Gold apartments like we have done for over 10 years - this is now reserved for the Hotel guests. So there is clear preference for the Hotel again - meaning those of us with the most to carry have by far the furthest to walk.
Plus it was confusing - first guy told us to park round there to unpack, second guy told us we weren't allowed!

Park:
Well maintained externally - lovely grounds.
Inside there are issues - particularly in toilets. These all stink, are usually dirty, usually in need of decoration or repair. Sometimes no soap etc

Overrall its a fun environment to be in - especially for kids.

Accommodation:
This is the reason for my modest rating. We stayed in self catering - mainly owing to children who need their routine and dislike the cafeteria setting.
We were lucky to be upgraded from Silver to Gold at no extra cost - which I really appreciate. However the overall standard seems to be a lot lower than a few years ago. What we got for Gold seems worse than what we used to get for Silver:
- no pictures on walls or nice touches - there used to be
- badly decorated
- bathroom was terrible - moldy, crap sealant, badly finished, in need of renovation - just old and unpleasant
- general repairs needed on trivial things like blinds, extractor fans etc
- kitchen was badly equipped - 1 baking tray
- kitchen and living room were very dirty - something splashed on TV, greasy handprints on walls in living room, filthy cooker, filthy grill pan, dirty kitchen surfaces - really not "gold" standard. I would have been appalled if a Bronze chalet was this bad. Things should be clean and in working order regardless.

I don't want to appear ungrateful, but if I had been told I was getting the upgrade I would have saved space in the car by not bringing towels, and would have packed dishwasher tablets! A quick email or SMS would have informed me before I set off, and would have capitalised the impact from Butlins point of view.

Above said, it was:
- quiet
- warm - heating was great
- comfy - nice sofas, comfy beds
- good TVs (but no kids channels this time?)
- DVD player was a bonus
- lots of hot water

Overrall:
We will come again. We had fun. But it looks like they are running down the self catering to encourage use of the hotel - this will eventually exclude us unless they seriously up the offering or lower the price.

Room Tip: Take Flash wipes and expect to clean when you get there.
3 Thank Acornise
London
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Just got back and can still hear the Pavillion!

Good points: A massive playground! Choice of restaurants & entertainment, hotel was clean, friendly staff and easily accessible by car or train.

Areas for improvement: Splash needs maintenance as slides were closed and pool overcrowded = a little intimidating for young paddlers, lack of towels, late notice for panto(??), fairground could have stayed open longer during holidays/BST, not all attractions suitable for children e.g. scary room and be prepared to queue for 'Centre Stage'!

Will try another site next time for the 'Butlins' experience.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over reception as obviously near heating/water supply which can be heard throughout the...
essex
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Having just returned from 3 nights at butlins i can can say that i'm very tired and ache,, we are a famliy of four one 6 the other a baby. For a 6 year old there is almost to much to do, and i have spent a lot of time chasing him from football to fairground to swimming to show to the next activity etc all done with a massive smile on his face, so much so that he wants to move there to live...
From my point of view the hotel (wave) was clean and fresh looking, the rooms were great given how little time we spent in them (he also wants a bedroom just like the hotel)..The food package we were on meant we were never hungry and probably overfed although a bit more communication as to the different dinning options on check in would have helped. The site in general looks a little tired but given the amount of people it caters for thats not a suprise, but it did feel safe, again given the volume of people that is a suprise, although i would say it seemed a little understaffed in certain areas. The activites/shows and pool we used were enjoyable well planned and lasted about the right amount of time. We will go back soon as it not overly expensive compared with some forest based hoilday centers and there is more to do for the kids.

Room Tip: don't have heavy footed familes in the room above!
Harefield, Middx
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I visited with my partner and youngest daughter from 31st March 'til 4th April and yet again he a good time.
We stayed in the Ocean Hotel this time, having stayed in the other hotels on previous trips.
I had stayed in this hotel on a weekend with girlfriends, so knew it was a lovely hotel.
We arrived at around 2pm, check in was easy with only a small queue and the Butlers who service this hotel were on hand should we have wanted them to take our luggage to our room.
Every member of staff on site is friendly and helpful.
The room was lovely - we had room 509 on the top floor. It is great to have a separate room within the room for the children. My only gripe with this one is that it doesn't have a door. I'm not sure why as they do in the other hotels. It's perhaps something that should be looked into by Butlins as one of the staff said we were not the only ones who were surprised by it.
The cleaners are excellent - they go above and beyond. The rooms are always spotless and nothing is too much trouble.
We ate around resort. We don't get the dining plan as I find it ridiculous to spend £50 - £60 a day for 3 of us. We take cereals for breakfast, perhaps have something around resort or in town for lunch - or a sandwich back in the room if we're close by, then dinner where we choose.
Our daughter is almost 9 so we normally eat a little later than the people with toddlers, however the hotel restaurants all shut at 8 so that's quite restrictive when you have older children. Turners open later, but as we had eaten there twice previously (both times amazing!), we fancied trying somewhere different.
We ended up eating in The Deck restaurant in the Wave Hotel. After looking at the menus, we felt this one would be much better for my daughter than the one in the Ocean hotel - purely because of food preference.
It was a lovely restaurant but as I suspected was very loud due to the amount of babies and toddlers being fed before bedtime. Of course it's not the parents fault - they have to feed their children! But perhaps this is another thing Butlins needs to look at. Perhaps quiet areas sectioned off, specific later eating nights, something to keep everyone happy.
My daughter loved the food, as did we. There was plenty, and you could go and have as much as you wanted. I'm not keen on queuing for food. Been there, done that, and am too old now to be doing it!
For this reason, and the noise levels, I would choose Turners every day over this restaurant.
We ate at The Beachcomber Inn a couple of times. Again, the staff are friendly and helpful, although on our second visit they forgot my partners meal. We didn't want to start ours until his came, so it was getting colder by the minute. His arrived and I heard the waiter saying something to him about it being hot, but didn't take much notice, and our daughter was colouring so was engrossed in that.
We all went to start our food and my daughter reached over to get her cutlery, and touched her hand on the side of her Dads plate. She pulled it back quickly and said it had burnt, starting to cry almost immediately. I looked and saw an angry red weal on the side of her hand, so took her to the toilets to run it under water.
While we were walking there, a waitress asked her what was wrong, as she was sobbing. I explained what happened and proceeded to take her into the toilet.
When we got back to our table I checked the temperature of his plate and it was scalding. It was obvious that his food had been stuck in the microwave to get it hot quickly. It was still hot when I piled the plates for them to be cleared. No one came to see how she was, whether it needed dressed etc. In fact, the staff were conspicuous in their absence! No one asked how our meal was (cold, by now!), as is normal in this restaurant. When our plates were eventually cleared, again the staff didn't make any conversation, just keeping his head down and running off with the plates.
I had applied Savlon to the burn, and luckily it didn't blister, but I was so angry I did go into guest relations the following day to speak to them about it not being put in an accident book, treated by staff etc.
They were lovely and the duty team leader came round to see me and offered us a free meal or drinks in the bar later. I declined this as we aren't big drinkers, and we had booked into The Deck for that evening. I didn't really want anything anyway - just for them to know what had gone on and hopefully follow procedure in future.
The pool is FREEZING! I couldn't use it at all, although my family braved it. I'm sure once you're in it's OK, but I couldn't even use the attached jacuzzi as it's the same water that is in the pool. I mentioned it to staff who said they would pop it in a comment book. It was so cold that my daughter didn't want to go to a special activity we'd booked later on in the week. We lost our £5, but she just didn't enjoy the pool.
Aside from that the rest of the week was nice and uneventful.
One tip is don't buy from Burger King. It was almost £25 for three meals - we could have sat and ate in somewhere nice for that!
The ice cream parlour is lovely, and could do with being extended.
The spa is amazing! I went for another 2 hour visit, then my partner brought my daughter up and we had a pedicure together in a little room. She felt very grown up! Children can't use the spa until they're 13 which is a shame, but there are a couple of things you can enjoy together if they're younger, so ask at the spa reception or give them a call.
It was a nice stay for us as a family. We chilled out and did what we wanted. The only things on that were age appropriate for my daughter were the Skyline Gang (she loves them), a science show she went to (additional charge), and the Scooby Doo show. We weren't too impressed, but then it wasn't aimed at us and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

All in all, if you want a lovely hotel in a place where you can be on the go all day or just take things at your own pace, then this is for you.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
#7 of 9 in Bognor Regis
Selwood Lodge
Selwood Lodge
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!