“Awesome family break”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reviewed 9 August 2014

I have just returned from an amazing week with my 4 and 8 year old. There was so much to do for both of them. My 8 year old loved the freedom and independence. The shows were really good better than I ever thought they would be. The red coats were so friendly and really took time to engage with all the children. Awesome job Butlins, you really surpassed all my expectations.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Ann H
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Hi Ann,

Thanks for a great review, we're so pleased you had an awesome family break at Butlins Bognor Regis. Wonderful to hear your 8 year old loved having freedom and independence at Butlins, and had fun with the Redcoats!

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Booked a 4 night break at Butlins at a cost of £1000, gotta love school holidays for that! On arrival at the Ocean hotel I had to call housekeeping as the bathroom hadn't been cleaned, there were sticky marks on the dressing table and crumbs on the floor. To their credit, they were there in a flash to sort things, but it just makes you feel like 'what else have they missed?' The remote controls were filthy, and when I dried my hair the following morning there was a sticky jam substance on the hairdryer.

The facilities were amazing for the kids, and we spent loads of time in the outdoor fairground which can't be faulted.

Butlins now offers the choice to dine in the restaurants on site, but I have to say, this proved not to be good value for money. The Diner was ok, but the food average, with a fairly hefty price tag, also it took ages for our plates to be cleared. The Beachcomber took the biscuit though, thoroughly miserable woman taking food orders, a ridiculous queuing system which took ages, as only 1 till is ever used. Our plates lay empty after our meal for approximately 45 minutes, and no one seemed to bother coming outside to check on us.

On day 2 we went swimming, and whilst the kids thoroughly enjoyed it, the changing rooms were utterly disgusting. That evening, after our dinner I didn't feel well, and subsequently spent the next 5 hours vomiting, which then resulted in me being bed ridden all of the next day. Now I know I can't prove that it was specifically related to the food/filthy changing rooms, but I am not a sickly person, and it is very rare for me to be ill. I felt very upset that we only had 3 full days at Butlins, and 1 of them was a total write off, I also missed 2 breakfasts and dinner, as I couldn't eat after the illness, so I feel like I got really poor value for money.

I told reception staff, but they just filled out a form, and I know there isn't much else they can do, but I feel very bitter about the whole thing. I feel that the pavilion area of the resort is incredibly unhygienic, and whilst there are numerous hand sanitizers around, it just felt filthy. The toilets in particular were awful, and I don't think the toilet seats have been changed in years, as they were all brown and stained.

Butlins seem to be spending a lot of money on hi-tech photo booths and hair braiding stations, but they really need to focus on the basics of cleanliness and hygiene, as I really feel that the place is incredibly substandard. It doesn't bode well when you also see signs around that say 'please notify a member of staff if you begin to feel unwell', it just makes me think that this is obviously a reoccurring issue for them.

I have completed a feedback form, which I have received no feedback from, and whilst Butlins may reply to this review and tell me to email them at tripadvisor@butlins, I don't see why I should waste my time. I filled out a feedback form, and have written this review, so Butlins, if you want to respond, look me up and get in touch. Mrs Brown, Ocean Hotel, Room 504 from 28th July - 1st August.

On a final note, the staff were amazing (except Beachcomber lady), all fairground staff, waiting staff and hotel staff were incredibly friendly and you genuinely felt like they wanted you to have a good time.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Browny49

Hi Mrs Brown,

Thank you for your review, we are sorry to hear about your experience with us and appreciate you taking the time to leave us feedback. We are currently looking into this for you but we will need your full name to find your details on our system as there was more than one 'Brown' staying in the Ocean hotel, and we cannot access room numbers. If you could email these details to tripadvisor@Butlins.com we will see to your inquiry as soon as possible.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Why people don't go to Butlins - is a mystery to me. The place is just great. Kids just love all the activities and adults just love watching the kids whilst relaxing. We enjoyed the archery, go-carts and the evening entertainment.

Room Tip: Unless you like to eat a lot dont take the dinning plan use the on site restaurants -far more flexib...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RuislipRichard

Hi Richard,

We're so pleased you think Butlins Bognor Regis is great, and that you and your family enjoyed the archery and Go-Karts as well as the entertainment we have to offer! Thank you for your review, we'd love to have you back again soon :)

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Booked this via a sun holiday and upgraded to a silver apartment which was spacious and had everything you needed. Shower wasn't particularly great but done the job.
Entertainment was amazing, was really impressed with the staff all around the resort, they were very helpful and friendly. Lots if places to eat and not far from the beach.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank t30cudd
ButlinsResorts, Social Media Team at Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Hi t30cudd,

We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, great to hear you were really impressed with our shows and entertainment. Thank you for your feedback regarding the accommodation, we will pass this onto resort.

We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

Myself and my children often go to butlins for the day and enjoy all butlins has to offer but for a fraction of the price. Butlins has loads to offer for a family day out from an excellent swimming pool to wonderful fairground.

But a little known fact is that NHS staff get 50% discount on entry and this is for up to four people at any one time, making what can be an expensive day much cheaper. Butlins also often do charity weekends when day entry is just a couple of pounds each, making those family pennies stretch even more.

Interestingly butlins also do a yearly pass which is really reasonably priced, I think about £35 a year for children but you will need to check with butlins direct about these as they are not widely advertised.

Over all a fab day out for all the family but make sure you check for discounts before going as there is money to be saved on the day visit costs.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Happymonday77

Hi Happymonday77,

Thank you for your review, great to hear you often come to Butlins for day visits and enjoy the facilities we have to offer.

We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Butlins and Pontins, two places from my youth which you would never have gone to because it was full of horrid familys and they were unclean overly expensive, nothing to do dirty hellholes.....

So, when the other half rang me to tell me we were going to Butlins to join her family for a last minute breakaway I was a bit apprehensive, luckily though its only an hours drive so I could run home crying if it was as bad as I thought.

How wrong I was...... we arrived late so the evening was already in full swing so we didnt bother going back to our apartment until after the entertainment (after all it was Gareth Gates night,....) but the first impressions were generally very good.

Firstly, any negatives... well, its a captive audience so the "Ticket machine" arcade games should be a little bit cheaper I feel, you pay £1 for a game which is 30p in hayling island, the rooms could do with a bit of an upgrade, we stayed in a silver accomodation which didnt have a bath, so makes washing an 11 month old pretty difficult and the carpets seemed very dated. Other than that

The Saturday was our first proper day there and overall we were very impressed, started off with a fantastic breakfast in "The Deck" full english, cereal, pancakes, fresh omlettes, anything you could want really, and then you are kept really busy all day with a huge range of activities, archery, football for kids and adults, rounders, swimming, dancing, watching shows, pedal bikes, the funfair, the arcades, there is so much going on all the time, so much so that we couldnt even do everything we wanted and although we done a lot we missed out on so much more and that right there makes me think I want to go back. There is a vast play area in the middle of skyline there is also a much smaller area for tiny tots which is actually quite peaceful, there are loads of nice looking places to eat, including papa johns late night pizza!
We were totally entertained by the shows, they had a blues brothers night, queen, madness and the redcoats performed some songs, and an illusionist, it was immense, the swimming pool is huge with loads of good slides and for one that has an awful lot of people going through it, pretty tidy

A huge plus point for me was the fairground being free, granted we didnt use it a lot, we went there for a couple of hours on our second day but there is hours of fun to be had there for little ones and its free, something at Haven they charge you £2 per ride! There are some things you have to pay a little bit extra for, go-karting, the circus, archery, crazy golf but you can avoid these if you wish to and still have a great time, or if you order over £10 worth of drinks you get a "prize" and these range from bogof golf vouchers, child goes free to the circus, money off drinks, very clever marketing idea from butlins that one!!

Overall, there were 10 of us, 5 adults, 3 kids aged 10-12, one child 4 and one 11 month and everyone of us left very happy and satisfied, if not a little bit exhausted! I have no doubt that we will be back in years to come to see how much more we can fit in!

Room Tip: We stayed in Oyster Bay Silver, the Wave hotel was nice but you will pay a premium but they are all...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Hi Paul,

Great to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, we're so pleased we kept you all busy with lots of activities and shows. Thank you for your comments we will pass these all onto resort. We do provide baths in our standard, deluxe and hotel accommodation, if you do decide come and stay with us again :)

We'd love for you to come back soon!

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Having returned from Butlins Bognor this week we can honestly say we had a fab time, lots has changed since we went last and all for the better!!. We went to spend some quality time with our family and to do everything in one place 'together'!!
We stayed in the Ocean Hotel which was fab but we actually dined in the Deck and did the dine around option.
Dining....
We had great quality breakfasts at the deck where the door staff were great, helpful and friendly and the staff in their were very quick at clearing the tables and keeping on top of the mess etc which we were glad about as some families left a bomb site behind them!!!. The guy on the door had a name badge on but I'm sorry I cant remember his name, tall and slim in red tshirt was really helpful, would like to give him a mention, he was lovely. We paid to dine at the new AMERICAN DINER which was really good fun, all the staff are fun and the overall atmosphere is great - I would say have a meal in there, the food was really good and its a change from the norm - I wont spoil the fun for you but take the kids they will love it!. We dined at PAPA JOHNS one night which was excellent, the pizzas I can honestly say were the freshest pizzas I think I've ever tasted and were gorgeous, again staff were great!. The last night we dined at TURNERS restaurant where the food blew us away, I cant believe you can choose to dine there as one of your options (you get £13 a head towards your food) and the place was half empty - you are truly missing a trick folks - make sure you dine there, the food is simply stunning, all our meals were piping hot and fresh as anything and the taste was absolutely amazing, we will always dine there when we go!! Our children are not children really and it only cost a little more for what we ate with drinks, seriously good food and service!!
THINGS TO DO - we went to HOT SHOTS and played bowling, that was great fun, years since we did that as a family, the girl on the desk with blonde hair (Hannah) had us in stitches when we were swapping shoes about for ones that fit best (it all adds to the winning having good fitting shoes the men said then subsequently lost!!!) so the staff were giggling with us when we swapped the shoes back, great to have some fun!!
Crazy Golf - great fun, not done that in a while either!
Went to the panto - snow white and the seven dwarfs that was very funny, very well written all the double meanings and well delivered, loved it!
The Circus - that was great fun, loved it.
At night we went to various venues for various shows, as it was family weekend everything finishes quite early which we understood but they could do with making hot shots more inviting so it could be a later bar after the football?.
We sat on the deck chairs in the gardens and people watched and the actors came passed who do silly things around the camp, really good fun, didnt see as much of them this time but then we were all over the show!!
The one thing we missed this time was cirque du Hilarious - I have never laughed so much as through that show - is it coming back?
We wanted to view the rooms in THE WAVE HOTEL so we bobbed over and were greeted with a big northern smile by Sophie who was more than happy to show us round one of the apartments for 6 - they are fabulous, well kitted out and VERY spacious, youve thought of everything!! I'd have loved that when our children were younger!! Even though we were staying in the Ocean Sophie still gave us lots of info and it was her that actually encouraged us to go in the diner - glad we did, it was fab!.
All in all we had a fab time and it was great to park the car and never drive again until the minute we left!!!
Forgot to mention the ice cream shop - OMG the ice cream was gorgeous, so many flavours to choose from and we all had doubles all different and every one of them were gorgeous!
Thanks Butlins, great work - keep it up!!!!. Well worth a visit, plenty going on and good family fun. sorry its long - just wanted to cover as much as I can!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony on the fair side. If you have a balcony its nice on any side to be abl...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TraceyStockport

Hi Tracey,

Thank you for an amazing review, we are really pleased that you were able to try so many activities and facilities we have to offer. We will of course pass on to resort the feedback you gave and the names/people you have mentioned. Regarding Cirque Du Hilarious - we cannot confirm at the moment whether they will be back at Butlins but we will keep you updated on acts as soon as we know, on our social media channels and website.

We'd love to have you back again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bognor Regis
The Inglenook Hotel & Restaurant
Selwood Lodge
Selwood Lodge
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!