“Well done butlins.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reading, Berkshire
“Well done butlins.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

7 years ago I visited butlins in Minehead where the ceiling literally fell down due to a burst pipe, so it was with extreme caution that I decided to go again, to be honest I was dreading it, but credit crunch etc. I was amazed at how it had all changed, I opted to go to Bognor this time and I returned today after a 7 night break with my 11 year old son. We stayed half board in a silver room, the room was basic but clean and served its purpose, the staff couldn't be friendlier, and if you needed anything you could text (at normal text price) and it was sorted within the hour. I had read there would be queues for everything. This was the first week of the school holidays but apart from the evening entertainment there were no queues for the pool or food etc. People were queuing an hour before the entertainment started to bag a table, if you waited until after the mad rush, you could still normally find a seat. The food in the restaurant was varied and the staff helpful, the desserts were a bit of a let down being the same choice for the whole week. The swimming pool was great fun and there was no time restriction on how long you wanted to stay in for. Bring lots of 2p coins for the amusement arcade! Papa Johns Pizza place was airy and clean, and they do an all you can eat buffet at lunchtime for pizza, salad and pasta. The supermarket did lovely freshly cooked filled baguettes which were very reasonably priced and delicious. The funfair is very old with only a few rides, but again no queues so worth a visit. The stony beach is just over the road, and the town centre is a 5 minute walk away. The red coats are extremely friendly and very helpful. The two evening entertainment places I visited were Reds and Centre Stage, on a negative point, the carpet stank to high heaven and could do with a thorough wash or shaked and vakked ;o) After taking my son to 5 star hotels in Greece, Spain and Cyprus, he informed me that Butlins was the best holiday he had ever had and could he go again next year! For £365 half board for a week, it was an absolute bargain so will definately go again.

1 Thank ladyberkshire

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (789)
  • Polish first
Essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2009

we stayed here for a 4 night break. Had a fantastic time. Entertainment was great. We did have a problem with a "smelly" sofa in our room and you can text the maintenance/room service people who sorted it out so the text service works really well. There was also an incident with a rather drunk women outside our room one morning at 4am, but again the security sorted it out and came round the following morning at 9am to apologise and gave us a card with their number on if any further problems. There wasn't as she was evicited.
It wasn't too busy- we went on monday 20th july. didn't have to queue to get into restaurants. theres a wide choice from papa johns which does really nice pizzas, a pub, the south coast restaurtant which is below the shoreline hotel (very nice) but worth booking a table as the hotel guests book their tables in advance. There's plenty to do in the skyline pavillion if it rains and it did when we were there!! There is a mini fun fair with noddy car, planes, ladybirds and teacups. Great thing is, is if your child is the only one riding, they still start the rides, rather than wait for them to fill up. and they are free.
Bob the Bulider, Fireman Sam and Barney were there and you can have your photos taken with them. a great stay and recommended for all ages.
There is a tescos about 5 mins drive away for all your stuff for self catering. At check in times, the car parks are heaving and its a mass of people with cases and bags everywhere, but that is to be expected. The Redcoats were very friendly and all members of staff were helpful.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2009

I am a fan of Butlins generally. For toddlers and young kids it can't be beaten in the UK.
However as an adult you notice there are problems around the edges.

Arrival / Parking
You can arrive any time on your first day and get your keys and then spend the day on site until your room opens (for us at 4pm).
If you do not arrive early you will struggle to park near your room. It will be a long walk. Theres an art form to getting trolleys.....

Accommodation.
We booked silver. Do not view the accommodation as Standard = OK, Silver = bit better, Gold = luxury and so on.
Silver is very basic.
The place had a smell - very well used. The carpets were dirty (and even dirtier after a week with no vacuum cleaner!) and stained. Walls were dirty. Sofas were ok - but the leather was starting to peel. Electric sockets were old and loose (I felt I had to hold the socket to the wall when unplugging something).
Bathroom was small but fine and clean. Did smell a little like someone had boarded a dog in there. The toilet constantly refilled (and having reported this 5 times to try and get it looked at I gave up).
TV was a modern wide screen - you can plug your own DVD player in for the kids. Cooker worked well.
Only a couple of minutes walk from the Skyline.
Bedrooms were ok - beds comfy and linen clean.
The negative points listed above are only negative if you are not prepared for it. If you want luxury or even a good basic standard then opt for Gold or Deluxe. Anything below that is cheap to pay for - but is a compromise.
You spend most of your time out and about so its not really an issue - we got what we expected.

Noise
You will hear noise. Not so much from excited kids or drunks (though we did hear a few of those late at night) but mostly the noise of the people above walking around. It sounds like the floors are paper thin.
This did not keep the kids awake though - thats the main thing.

Guest Services.
Very friendly and helpful generally. A dirty sheet was changed within half an hour.
Trying to get a permanently refilling toilet fix went on for 4 days, 5 phonecalls, a visit to guest services, text messages and resulted in two seperate people contacting me telling me differnet stories (one saying "we've fixed it" and the other saying "we need to know more about the problem before we can fix it"). I gave up in the end.

Food / shop
We were self catering and ate in the room most of the time owing to a fussy toddler. We ate some takeaway:
Papa John's Pizza: Very expensive. Pizza was very nice. Side order was burnt and went straight in the bin.
Burger King: Seem to have adopted a novelty pricing scheme - £5 for just a burger. It was nice. But £5?!!?
Finnigans: Friendly staff. Terrible food. Cooked in dirty smelly oil. Rubbery barely cooked chips. Chicken nuggets got the official "fussy toddler" seal of approval though.

Shop wasn't particulary expensive for food. There is a Morrisons about 2 miles away which would be a better choice.

Entertainment
The reason we went. Lots to do for our toddlers.
Funfair has about 8 rides suitable for toddlers which got alot of use.
Aumsements and slot machines and cuddly toy claws are in your face everywhere. All parents we spoke to were having problems with their kids asking for money for these. There are lots of rides and stuff that isn't free, that used to be free when going there in my childhood (snooker, crazy golf etc). And lots of generally chargeable stuff (climbing wall, go karts etc). There are also lots of organised sports that I believe are free.
Bar prices are reasonable and staff friendly.
Red Coats are very friendly.
Skyline - usually a show going on that you can stop to watch for a few minutes (if you've got kids who won't sit through a whole one like us!). Loud and brash. Good selection of entertainment.
Centre Stage - ridiculous queues to get in. we only queued once to see the Nick Jr show for Dora, Diege and Ming ming. Excellent show and the only thing to ever keep our two year old still for 90 minutes! Generally lots of dancing etc. We also saw Austing from X factor. Other than that we didn't bother with any of it as the kids needed their beds.
The Reds - last ime I went to Butlins Minehead Reds and Centre Stage were open offering more choice. At Bognor it was never open. Maybe its because it wasn't quite high season.

Swimming pool
Very big. Very busy. Very noisy. Great! There is often a queue to get in but this is just to avoid mayhem in the changing rooms.
Temperature not as cold as it was on past visits - still on the cool side but not too bad. Lifeguards generally helpful.
Waves are great - and yes they are a bit violent and knock you around - thats what waves do!
Slides good.
Showing some signs of wear and tear and could do with a bit of a clean in places.
changing rooms usually pretty dirty - why parents feel the need to drop nappies on the floor I will never know. And tags from new swim costumes was another favourite. Lots of family sized changing cubicles - remember they have doors on both sides that you need to lock otherwise you'll give someone an eye full!
Toilets in there are vile.
Showers were a nice temperature all week then turned up to "burn your skin off" temperature for some reason on our last two visits which meant we could not shower the kids.

Overrall.
You need to know what you are getting. Its not a refined experience. Its a bit like being hit in the face when you first arrive. Its very full on. Its expensive when you are there - not becuase of the prices but because there is so much to do that costs money. Theres also alot to do that doesn't (but the "well I am on holiday" mentality kicks in!).
If you want a peaceful relaxed break book a cottage somewhere.
If you want a full on break that young kids will absolutely love and be exhausted each night then its for you.

9 Thank Acornise
fife, scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed here 6-13th July with my husband, 13yr and 4yr old daughters. Booked our accommodaton early January as thats usually when you get the best deals. I checked the price each month up to our arrival and we saved about £300. We were going to go for the Gold accommodation but thought as it's our only holiday this year we would go for Deluxe half board instead. Three weeks before we were due to arrive we got our confirmation in the post. Our booklet confirmed Deluxe and Gold customers were to dine in the Yacht Club, but on our arrival our tickets showed we were dining in the restaurant for Silver customers. I queried this with Guest Services and they said as I booked my holiday before May 2009 the Yacht Club was only available for Gold customers. Now I'm no snob but I do believe in getting what you have paid for so decided I just couldn't let it go. So after a nights sleep I returned to Guest Services and asked to speak to the Restaurant Manager. I showed my booking confirmaton and the booklet that explained which restaurant we were allocated to (my arguement was if I wasn't supposed to be in that restaurant then I wouldn't have received my confirmation 3 weeks previously). To cut a long story short the manager said it wasn't a problem and we were welcome in the Yacht Club. We found out a few days later after speaking too other guests they too were downgraded and had complained. I get the feeling this thing probably happens every week, and Butlins just hope some people will accept this and not complain, but really is it worth the hassle? I'm sure the staff have better things to do with their time! Come on Butlins sort yourselves out, people don't put up with getting ripped off these days, especially if they have written proof.

FOOD - The food was amazing (and that wasn't because we were in the best restaurant) we ate breakfast in another restaurant and it was just as good. You always had lots of choice and it was always hot. Only skipped one meal by staying in, but sent hubby for takeaway pizza. Get ready for this £28 for 2 small cheese & tomato, 1 medium chicken pizza. If you're booked for half board it's well worth it!

SWIMMING POOL - This is the best pool I have been to in Britain, it was fantastic (although the queues for the rides were a bit too long)

DELUXE ACCOMMODATION - I'm glad I booked this option as when you are away from home you do want to think you are living in something a bit special. It was clean, we had a daily maid service to change towels, make beds etc. The only problem we had was with ants. They did tend to come out if the kids had a drink or a snack or something.

ENTERTAINMENT - We did see a lot of people queuing to get into the CENTRE STAGE but we always waited till it died down, as you were always able to get a seat. The Red Coats are all hard working people and certainly know how to keep the kids entertained. One saving I can recommend is the block ticket for Mini Golf, Bowling, Cinema and Go-karting. You get all 4 events for £10. This was a massive saving and I would definately recommend it.

I would definately recommend Butlins to any family, it's like Disney World, you have to try it in your lifetime at least once.

1 Thank mum2tess&ev
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2009

Butlins is a great resort whatever your age, but obviously as the park is aimed at younger children, they would enjoy it much more and teenagers might feel Butlins to be too gimmicky. That said, the swimming pool is the best ive seen, you could stay in in for ages with all the different things to do. Although there were restaurants on site, two of the main ones had silly times, you had to be seated before 6 or something like that which is too early for a family like mine. Shoreline Hotel restaurant was fantastic, regret leaving it to the last night as we thought it would be expensive but it was not. There are also many other things on site to keep everyone entertained e.g. theme park, crazy golf etc. The resort is right on the beach, but didnt have the weather to enjoy that properly. There is also a small town nearby with a market which we spent one morning at. Rooms were very basic but nothing wrong with them and decent value for money. Overall very good holiday and amazing pool in particular.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
Bracknell
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2009

What a surprise, the apartment (Silver * self catering) was excellent. As good as many 3 -4* hotels. Clean, nicely decorated, 3 good sized bedrooms, comfortable beds, well equiped kitched, comfy leather sofas and decent TV. No air con so a fan would have been useful(to be fair didn't think of asking for one). Only a shower, a very good one, but a bath would have been nice for the younger children.
Entertainment was really proffessional although geared towards the under 10's during the day. The evening entertainment was also very good but if you wanted a decent seat you had to queue for about an hour before the show. Once in the Red coats took over amusing the children, playing games, dancing etc, The children could also sit at the front together which left the adults time for themselves to enjoy the shows. Bar service was extremely slow both in the theatre and other bars on site.
Plenty of places to eat, branded names - Papa Johns & Burger King as well as a fish & chip shop and Butlins dining rooms / hotel. The on site shop was well stocked and not too expensive, there is also a Morrisons within walking distance in Bognor town centre. The water world is one of the best I've seen and plenty of other activities for all.
You can spend as little or as much as you choose. Obviously all these places are designed to part you from your money, machines in your face everywhere, but as there is so much to do that is free we spent very little on these things. The Bungy Jump at £4.50 was well worth it.
Added bonus, beach and town centre within 5 mins walk.
We booked in January and saved half, paying just under £600 for 6 of us for 7 days in June. Excellent value, would have paid more for a cottage or hotel without the free entertainment and facilities.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MMSBracknell
Leicestershire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2009

Our weekend break at Butlins Bognor Regis was an excuse for a family get together and it was ideal. We went to Butlins resorts three years in a row when our children were young and since then have enjoyed self-catering, apartment holidays abroad. We paid for silver self-catering 3-bed so were not expecting any frills. Our party consisted of myself and my husband, youngest son and his mate (noth 17) and both our mothers. The accommodation was clean and fresh and the beds really comfortable with crisp clean white linen. The check in procedure was quick and efficient and administered by very smiley Redcoats. Yes, it's cheesy but it's all good fun. My brother, wife and two boys (5 & 6) had a silver 2-bed apartment which was also clean and functional. No complaints.

We used the Sun & Moon pub as our meeting place and because the weather was so glorious, we sat in the beer garden mostly. It's very relaxed and you aren't pressured into buying drinks or food there. The food prices and quality were excellent. For a quick snack: jacket potato and filling, with salad garnish £3.95. A wonderfully cooked full breakfast was £3.95 for small up to £6.95 for a huge (double portion of everything). We did this a couple of times as we couldn't be bothered to prepare our own food in our apartment because ... we were on holiday! The thing is - we had a choice on how we spent our money. All the staff we came into contact with were courteous and the resort was clean and tidy.

If you have young children the break can get expensive if you are giving them an endless supply of pound coins for rides and attractions but again, you have the choice and as we did when our children were small - you can put a limit on how much 'pocket money' they have.. There are plenty of free activities. We really enjoyed Splash Waterworld. Nice little wave pool and the 'rapids' were great fun. Several flumes etc and small slides for young children.

The shows performed by the cast in Centre Stage were first class and suitable for all ages. There was a panto on one evening followed by two other shows later (an hour apart)..

We found the whole experience highly enjoyable and relaxing. If we had not been happy with anything I would have felt completely comfortable about saying so. Some of the accommodation is old and the resort is undergoing a rebuilding programme. The new second hotel there is opening in August I think. It looks like it will be fabulous.

The beach is just outside the resort and Bognor town is a short walk or drive away. For a bit of culture there is always Chichester with a wide range of shops and some gorgeous tea rooms.

My brother and his wife were dubious about staying at a Butlins resort because they usually holiday abroad. But they loved it and their children didn't want to leave.

We will all be going back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
#7 of 9 in Bognor Regis
Selwood Lodge
Selwood Lodge
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!