“Great hotel, the rest - average.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Stayed for long weekend 21-24th August in a mariner room at the Ocean hotel. Never been to Butlins before- the only reason we were tempted was the new hotel, having read and heard 'horror stories' about Butlins. The hotel was great- rooms very good and child friendly- we had dinner/breakfast included- the restaurant cannot cope with the amount of people during meal times. Our drinks would arrive when we'd finished our meals, long queues for hot food, repeated requests to staff for items that had run out. Some staff were very helpful and apologetic , others were spending all their time chatting to their mates. The spa was very good- we had a treatment each which was the best part of the holiday for me. The rest of the resort- was much more enjoyable for kids than the adults- they are wanting to go back already! As the other reviews have mentioned- lots of morbidly obese smokers shouting at their kids - one woman was publicly shouting at her son to hit another kid who was bothering him- also encouraged by the dad 'give him one'. Evening entartainment- we went to centrestage only- as before- smell is terrible- stale beer - over crowded- poor seating arrangements, but the actual shows were a good standard. I think Butlins have acheive what they wanted with the new hotel/spa- it tempted us to go - where as before we would never have considered it. Would we go back ? Only if we stayed at the Ocean again- and it was a good deal!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (3,704)

Reviewed 24 August 2009

This isn't somewhere I would normally dream of visiting but with my partners 4 and 5 year old nieces in tow we decided Butlins was probably our best bet. The Ocean hotel was a pleasant surprise - rooms are well thought out, good quality beds and service is good. Yes, the resort itsef is tired and the entertainment venues have this bizarre smell but for 3 days there is enough to keep young children entertained (and the resort seemed secure). One complaint - we went to see Circus Hilarious and I was amazed to find that in this day and age the 'clown' thought it acceptable to make homophobic jokes in front of an audience of young children. It wouldn't be allowed in a school so why does Butlins think this constitutes 'entertainment'?

Reviewed 21 August 2009

We took our 6 year old to Bogner on the opening day of the new Ocean Hotel. My wife had booked a top floor Neptune room with a sea view and half board for about £700 for a long weekend. So as you can see not exactly a cheap weekend away. The room was good with a comfy bed, nice shower and tea and coffee provided. My sons sleeping area had it's own tv which he loved. As we were on the top floor we used the "disco" lifts a lot which keep the grown ups and kids amused but they are a little small which means you can be kept waiting. The voice that tells you the floor you're at is barely understandable. Instead of saying "going down" it seems to say "well done" which we all found very funny!

Food was very good but make sure you reserve a table in good time. We couldn't eat until 7.45 on the first night which messed up getting to the shows. The breakfasts are a good buffet with plenty of choice. They messed up our drinks order on the last night and the managers seem to love having impromtu staff meetings in the middle of the dining room.

The rest of the resort is tired. Expect to see lots of shell suits, heavy smokers and beer guts as kids are left to force feed acres of slot machines in search of tickets to exchange for tat on the last day of their holidays! The fun fair is old and so the ques are small. The go karts are fun but at £5 a go can be a bit expensive.

The 2 evening venues are Reds and Centre Stage. We never got in to Reds but the Centre Stage is where most of the entertainment goes on after dark. Be warned, this place stinks of wet dogs and gets so hot it makes you feel ill. Chairs are at a premium and expect people to stand in front of you when the main acts are on. We saw Sleeping Beauty, Circus Hilarious and Britains got talent and our 6 year old loved them despite the smell and the excess wee wee, poo jokes from Circus Hilarious - the clown seemed to find them funny.

As I said we stayed at the Ocean hotel which has a spa. It costs extra to visit the spa, £19 for 2 hours - I wonder why it was quiet and I only saw 1 person use it in a weekend. Come on Butlins if you make it cheaper more people will use it!

Reviewed 19 August 2009

We visited Butlins and stayed in the brand new ocean hotel with a large party of friends to celebrate our childrens 10 th Birthdays . We were on a 3 night break and had dinner ,bed and breakfast in the hotel there was a good variety of food and the restaurant staff were very helpful. Due to the hotel only opening the week we arrived they were having a few teething issues but any problems which were reported were sorted quite quickly with the exception of house keeping which was a little lapse but I am hopeful these problems will be sorted when they employ more staff. The hotel is bright and fun and the room we stayed in a mariners was large enough with a seperate sleeping area for the children and tv. The spa was really worth while a visit to and was quiet too.
I would rate the whole experience great with plenty of activities for the kids and adults alike we tried archery,fencing,and the pool was great but is going to get a make over soon according to the staff which will improve the cleanliness and overall appeal !!. We stayed in the silver apartments 3 years ago and It was truely awful filthy and noisey also the food was very poor,so I was not relishing the prospect of Butlins again and I am more than happy to say it was a totaly different and enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank OXONJOHN
Reviewed 19 August 2009

Good points - We stayed at the new Ocean Hotel - good standard of rooms and the staff were friendly and helpful. Disco lifts were fun. Daughters enjoyed the Ocean Spa. Bad points - breakfast. There was a queue to get in and the choice of food available wasn't as good as in the Shoreline hotel. Though what was served was nice. Again staff very helpful

As we had a 4 yr old in our group it was really a holiday for her and she had a great time. Plenty for children to do.

The disappointing part of the holiday was the venues for the shows in the evenings. The Centre Stage and Reds got very busy (which was to be expected) and even though we queued for Reds and got in as it opened there was not enough seats as the first people in seemed to grab all the chairs around them and were not giving them up for anything or anybody even if no-one was sitting on them. We asked the staff for more chairs but were told that it was not possible, not very helpful. After standing for a good hour we eventually found 2 chairs, sat down in the seating area and had a good view of the stage. As the show started people began standing in front of those sitting down blocking our views even though they had been told to keep this area clear for health and safety reasons. The security staff had already asked people to move before the show but did nothing once it started. I asked one woman nicely if she could move and she said she could not see where she was, when I pointed out that she was blocking everyone elses view she seemed not to care. The behaviour of people was pretty selfish and I was quite shocked at their disregard for others. As stated already the venues absolutely stank (wet doggy smell - not very pleasant) The carpets do need a good clean. The shows on the whole though were good.

We stayed for 3 nights and that was long enough.

1  Thank AB09Kent
Reviewed 11 August 2009

THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU WILL GO, YOU DONT WANT TO BE THERE. i wouldnt recomend to go there, dirty smely apartments reminds me prison cells, terrible food, noisy, if you want to sleep after late night a bit longer, forget about it, kids runing up and down all over the place, well i have to admit, its not bad place for 1 to 5 years old kids, but if any adults planing to have some rest, you`ll not get any rest in this place, evening time is SO BORRING I couldnt belive that its can me so borring in place like Bongor Regis, for the same amount of money you can get 2!!! weeks of holliday in Greece, Turkey, Israel, Egypt with return flights, cheaper helthier food, much better weather and water temperature.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidBR1
Reviewed 31 July 2009

7 years ago I visited butlins in Minehead where the ceiling literally fell down due to a burst pipe, so it was with extreme caution that I decided to go again, to be honest I was dreading it, but credit crunch etc. I was amazed at how it had all changed, I opted to go to Bognor this time and I returned today after a 7 night break with my 11 year old son. We stayed half board in a silver room, the room was basic but clean and served its purpose, the staff couldn't be friendlier, and if you needed anything you could text (at normal text price) and it was sorted within the hour. I had read there would be queues for everything. This was the first week of the school holidays but apart from the evening entertainment there were no queues for the pool or food etc. People were queuing an hour before the entertainment started to bag a table, if you waited until after the mad rush, you could still normally find a seat. The food in the restaurant was varied and the staff helpful, the desserts were a bit of a let down being the same choice for the whole week. The swimming pool was great fun and there was no time restriction on how long you wanted to stay in for. Bring lots of 2p coins for the amusement arcade! Papa Johns Pizza place was airy and clean, and they do an all you can eat buffet at lunchtime for pizza, salad and pasta. The supermarket did lovely freshly cooked filled baguettes which were very reasonably priced and delicious. The funfair is very old with only a few rides, but again no queues so worth a visit. The stony beach is just over the road, and the town centre is a 5 minute walk away. The red coats are extremely friendly and very helpful. The two evening entertainment places I visited were Reds and Centre Stage, on a negative point, the carpet stank to high heaven and could do with a thorough wash or shaked and vakked ;o) After taking my son to 5 star hotels in Greece, Spain and Cyprus, he informed me that Butlins was the best holiday he had ever had and could he go again next year! For £365 half board for a week, it was an absolute bargain so will definately go again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
#5 of 7 in Arundel
Premier Inn Worthing Seafront Hotel
6 mi away
Premier Inn Chichester Hotel

Been to Butlin's Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!