“A toddlers paradise!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlins Shoreline Hotel
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Leicester
“A toddlers paradise!”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My husband, my 2 year old son and myself stayed at the Shoreline Hotel for 2 nights. We stayed in room 426 which had a lovely sea view. Very quiet and peaceful.

Similar to a lot of the other reviews I was a little worried that the place would a be full of chavs and kids with snotty noses, but i was pleasantly surprised! The hotel was fab and resort was a nice mix of all social classes.

There were plenty of activities available to us, all included in the price. The food and refreshments on offer were also varied both for taste and pockets. We stayed room only.

We decided to venue out of the camp last night and found ourselves lost trying to locate the beach entrance, however a friendly member of staff offered to take us to the entrance. After a conversation with them about our holiday and tips regarding the local area we were on our way. The beach was beautiful. I later found out that the friendly member of staff was in fact the director. Thanks Jeremy.

My only negative point is that my car was broken in too whilst parked in the secure shoreline car park. My spare wheel was stolen beneath my car. The security staff were told but they explained that over 4500 people were staying at the resort so these things happen!?!

This really put a dampener on the final part of my holiday. To think someone would steal from you really hurt me and my family.

Based on this i am not sure whether i would return?

Room Tip: Stay on upper floors with even numbers
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Just got home from a 4 day stay at butlins Bognor Regis. We stayed in the Shoreline Hotel on the 2nd floor with a partial sea view. It was definitely PARTIAL sea view but the sea that we could see was beautiful. The bed was king size, comfortable and clean. The kids bunk beds were the same, clean and comfortable. The room itself was ample size, included a mini fridge, TV (rather small, but weren't there to watch TV) hair dryer, etc. the bathroom was clean and functional, decor was fresh and clean. Only down side was the shower curtain (a pet hate of mine) but it was clean. The shower (over bath) was lovely, very powerful and impressive really! Plenty of storage, a safe (which had no batteries in when we arrived, but quickly rectified after a call to reception).
The location was perfect, central to everything really, restaurants, the skyline pavilion, splash waterworld. Billy's playground was situated just outside the hotel, including sand and water play. Our daughter loved it!A great hotel, aimed more toward younger children but still stylish enough for adults to enjoy. The service from all staff from reception to cleaners to waiters was brilliant!
The redcoats were amazing, very friendly and great with the kids.
All the shows were fab, especially Cirque Du Hilarious, I've never laughed so hard in my life!!
We're already looking at booking our next butlins break, we loved it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Wayneo147
Villefranche-de-Rouergue, France
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is our second visit to Bognor – having visited last June for a stay at the Ocean. Before our visit in 2013 I would have said that we were definitely not holiday park people and certainly not Butlins people. Caravans are definitely off limits for me, and the thought of staying in self catering accommodation in a chalet or similar has never been tempting. I’m also not that into ‘organised’ entertainment and crowded places. I hate buffet or mass produced food and bad wine. I really hate bad hotels and having to deal with other people’s children. I also hate the 'sort of people' I expected to find in Butlins (I appreciate I sound like a terrible snob) In short, I have never ever considered Butlins as an option.

However....

In 2013, with a week’s annual leave available, and a 2 year old that we didn’t want to subject to a flight or crowded airport, we found ourselves unable to decide where to go on holiday. My annual bonus was sufficient for us to go somewhere quite nice, but we simply couldn’t decide where to go for a long weekend where our 2 year old would be welcome – but where we as adults would feel like we were being treated too.

I had already ruled out Haven, Pontins and anything which looked like a caravan park. We considered a weekend in a cottage somewhere near a beach or even in France, but my concern was the weather – if it rained, we would simply be in a house with fewer toys to play with and I would still be washing up, shopping and cooking. Centre Parcs looked promising, but the 2 bed roomed cabins looked small – and the bigger cabins were so expensive. After much debate amongst my Facebook friends, and a lot of googling, we ended up on the Butlins website. Bognor is a 2 hour drive away, the hotels looked nice and there was plenty going on so I bit the bullet and booked. I have to admit being nervous and we promised that if we hated it we would go home and accept that we had lost our money.

The holiday came around and our first experience of the park was not good. Lunch at the onsite pub was exactly as I had expected Butlins to be (the noise of kids screaming, bad microwaved food and the smell of tomato ketchup are my everlasting memories) Things were not looking good. When we checked into the hotel however, my opinion changed. I was so impressed! The reception was happy and professional. The room was lovely, clean and well appointed. I felt like I was on holiday and started looking forward to the next few days.

The rest of the holiday went well. We made the most of the balcony as the weather was fabulous. We were able to sit out there and enjoy the warm evenings while William slept and I made the most of the spa with a couple of hours worth of treatments. We tried the Deck restaurant on the first night and (having fought my way through the crowds waiting for chips) vowed to only use Turners from that point onwards (which was really no hardship at all) William enjoyed the soft play and the freedom and we went to a few shows, but he wasn’t really into them yet. It didn’t matter though as we all had a good time.

At 2 years old, he is asleep by 8pm, so we were effectively prisoners in our room and because it was a nice room we really didn’t mind. We could turn the lights off and sit outside until he dozed off. I did a lot of reading and stargazing on the balcony and it was so peaceful. You would never know that you were at Butlins once the funfair closed. I couldn’t hear a thing from the complex or the other guests.

We came away feeling great and promising to come back when he was older.

Early in 2014, once again in receipt of my bonus, I was straight on the website looking for a break. We had even less annual leave this year, so a weekend made sense, and with our now 3 year old being more interactive we thought he would definitely ‘get’ the Butlins experience this time. We chose the Shoreline, and selected a patio as we thought that would give us the same sort of freedom, but with additional treats for William who we thought would enjoy the interaction with Billy Bear. We also chose a dining package, but had already decided to only eat in Turners while we were there so were pleased that this was still an option.

I have to say we have had the most amazing weekend and Butlins surpassed our expectations once again.

Being close to the complex was brilliant. Dashing back to the room for things we had forgotten was easy, and the play park was close by which was great.

We had all of our meals in Turners and were once again impressed with the quality of the food, and the way that the restaurant seems to cleverly balance making kids feel welcome with making parents feel like they are in a high end restaurant. I don’t believe there is a restaurant anywhere where I have felt quite so comfortable. We eat out a lot, and I hate most restaurants which are aimed at kids. Usually the food is awful and you sit in the remnants of the last families’ food. At the other end, although the kids are welcome, you feel uncomfortable, and scared of upsetting other customers with noise and mess. Turners does not feel like this at all, and I wish we could eat there all the time!

The menu is wonderful, but the staff really make the difference. I must extend our thanks to those who looked after us that weekend – in particular Denny (I may have that spelling wrong – my apologies) and James, both of whom were patient and professional. I know that some think that the food is overpriced, and it’s true that it’s not cheap, but it is worth it for the quality and we felt happy to pay the prices. I must comment on the liver and pork pate which was out of this world and which I ate 3 times during my stay – and the rib eye steak was superb.

We also visited the Diner during the afternoon for lazy glasses of wine in the sun and an afternoon snack / ice-cream sundae. I must say this is a very welcome addition to the available restaurant options. We sat outside, but inside looked fun and once again the staff were great. Special mentions to Tomasz and Mitzi (and again my apologies for the appalling spelling) who both went out of their way to make us (and in particular our son) feel welcome. The food was good (I’m not a burger eater as a rule – but they were good burgers!) and I think we may use that for an evening meal next time we visit.

The entertainment was wonderful. This year our boy threw himself into it. He is now Billy Bears biggest fan, and I have to thank the Redcoats (Zoe and Lucy in particular) for their patience and enthusiasm as he gave a solo performance of Twinkle Twinkle and tried to steal the show both during Bonnies music session and later at bedtime. Both girls were marvellous – not to mention whoever was in the bear suit (and Bonnie too) because they were brilliant as well. William was made to feel like he was the only boy in the world when they were talking to him and as a mum that is great to see. We watched all the Billy/Bonnie shows we could and he is still talking about it. Goodness knows where those guys get their energy by the way – they work seriously hard - especially in those temperatures in that suit!

We did visit the Panto – which I have to admit was brilliant. We parents enjoyed it and William managed up to the interval before he fell asleep. The only negative thing I can add is that the centre stage seating area is awful. It’s the first time we have been in there – not using it in the evenings – and it smells awful. The carpets felt damp (I suspect they had been cleaned – but that was probably responsible for the smell) the tables were dirty and it all just felt grubby although the bar and toilets were immaculate. I am definitely put off the idea of going in during the evening. Anyway, the panto was good and once again I commend the team for putting on a good, professional and energetic show.

We only used the pool once during our stay. It was absolutely packed and beginning to feel uncomfortable. To be fair, we would have gone back but we just kept running out of time! We also visited the funfair but the queues were difficult for a 3 year old to cope with. The staff were brilliant though (a recurring theme) and perhaps next year he will be better equipped to cope with waiting!

Other things worthy of note were the soft play area (I was so impressed with how clean this was) and the staff at Costa who were (as usual) polite, professional and happy! We had a Billy and Bonnie photo shoot and although the queue was long it was worth it, and went down very quickly. The team struck a balance of paying William enough attention while keeping things moving and we loved the resulting photo. Our character breakfast was great too (all the breakfasts we had were good) and we got plenty of time with the characters. Bedtime with Billy was the best thing I saw all weekend. William loved it and so did we. Such a lovely idea, William really engaged with it and again thank you for being so patient with him.

On to the accommodation. I think it’s fair to say that The Shoreline is a little bit tatty. The public rooms are lovely, clean and well maintained – the staff are brilliant, but the room had a few maintenance issues. These were quickly resolved, although finding a working safe took 2 days for the team to sort out.

The accommodation manager – Malcolm – was brilliant. He couldn’t have been more helpful and chatty and should be commended for his customer service skills. Although there is the obvious connection to Billy Bear, it didn’t seem that the hotel was any more child friendly than the Ocean – in fact, the big old fashioned TVs not being wall mounted and the cables for the DVD player on show meant that it actually felt a bit less safe.

The patio was a huge disappointment. Insecure (we couldn’t leave the door open as I was afraid of William running out and ending up in someone elses room!) and I was really nervous of leaving it open at night as we slept. The air-conditioning worked well, but there is nothing quite like fresh air in the room. If William was 5 or 6 years old I would be less concerned but at 3 I couldn’t leave him out there on his own. We didn’t sit out there in the evening as it didn’t feel anywhere near as pleasant or private as the balcony and so it was a wasted space for us really and a shame that we paid extra for it.

The noise from the nearby entertainment complex was incredibly distracting. We couldn’t sleep before midnight and could hear the revellers leaving the site once it all closed. This is to be expected and is in no way a complaint. We are unusual in our evening confinement, and I understand that most people come to Butlins for the night time entertainment. We will know for next time and will stay at the quieter part of the park.

Talking of next time – we booked while we were on site, and I’m pleased to say got an excellent price for a midweek break next year. We have learned our lesson and selected the Ocean hotel, with a balcony and a sea view because I think it’s important that the adults feel like they are on holiday as well as the kids and I will always come back as long as I can have a good hotel and eat at Turners! I will be booking the spa next time too. We may sneak into the Shoreline at bedtime though (if you will allow us to do so) so that William can help with Billy Bears bedtime.

Butlins really are doing it right. I have never been to a place where everyone, from the maintenance guys, to the chap that was cleaning the windows, the housekeepers in the hotel and the girl who served me in the shop (to name just a few) had such a consistently happy and positive attitude towards their customers. And it felt natural. Not forced or fake.

Our next visit is not until June next year, but I am currently wondering if I can sneak in a winter break. Butlins is now a firm favourite in our list of places to go and I cannot recommend it highly enough. My only caveat is that we do it on ‘our’ terms and if that means an expensive hotel and food bill, then so be it.

Room Tip: Patio is useful for older children - the ones on the car park side are pretty awful.
9 Thank armydonkey81
true_angel2005
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Just had the pleasure of a 4 night stay in columbus quarters at shoreline. Our party consisted of myself, my husband and 2 boys aged 2 & 4. We all had an excellent time. Room itself was clean and suited our needs perfectly. The only issue we really had was the lack of a door between the kids room and ours. The only real issue of it was keeping the 4 year old quiet whilst his brother was falling asleep - we solved this by me bringing the 2 year old back half hour before his brother in the evenings. The bump beds we were expecting to be an issue as neither had experience of bump beds but again this was fine once we taught our oldest how to get up and down safely. We ate breakfast for 3 mornings at the hotel and we were perfectly happy with the choices presented although the toast barely looked as though the toaster had touched it. We did a character breakfast one morning at papa johns which needs to be booked upon check in. Well worth booking with little kids - Recommended. We had two evening meals in the hotel and these were very good with lots of choice for both us and our boys. We had two meals out - the first at papa johns which was outstanding and the 2nd at the diner which was also outstanding. Butlins itself was great for the little kids with plenty to do although parents do find themselves sat around a lot. The only down side we experienced was that because of the week we were reds wasn't open and there wasn't a lot in terms of entertainment past 5pm. By know means were we expecting to stay out late every night but we were hoping to be entertained until at least 7.30-8ish. We ended up outside the pub letting the kids blow of steam on the adventure play ground. Staff all very friendly - characters were all brilliant and really pleased we had another top week at butlins.

Room Tip: Our rooms was glad and very pleased we paid extra for a patio as kids were able to play outside and...
1 Thank true_angel2005
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

We stopped at the shoreline hotel from the 6th june till thr 13th june 2014 for a comedy break and a family break the room was excellant clean and spacious beds nice and clean bathroom clean had a problem with extractor fan it was fixed straight away weve already booked tostop here for sept and feb june nxt year

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Andrew Nash B
Fareham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We went to Butlins last week for a 'Tots Week' aimed at pre-school age. I was so, so impressed. To be honest I had some snobby preconceptions but they were all blown out of the water. We stayed in this hotel and the rooms were lovely, the staff were all brilliant and went out of their way to help and the food in the restaurant was exceptional. I was pleasantly very surprised. It was really, really good and a special thanks to the reception manager of the hotel who stayed late to help me book some stuff.

4 Thank Charlie S
Purley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

After years of going to butlins I have to say never again .... reception staff rude and unhelpful , rooms not ready by 3 even though as a premier member i should be able to check in early , paying for a seaview that just gave you a view of the C in car park and nothing else, chairs in the room a disgrace , painting in the corridors which left a lingering smell of paint which at times gave us all headaches, having to go to reception 5 times to get someone to sort out the safe ... shows cancelled because there werent enough people to watch them..... butlins are spending money on a new diner and wave hotel but letting the shoreline go to pot ... emailing them about it but finding out theres nothing I can do because I didnt email within 28 days even though I provided pictures apparently it doesnt make a difference .... beware if you are going there and make sure you email as soon as you get home , dont you dare have a life that stops you doing just that

• Stayed March 2014
The Inglenook Hotel & Restaurant
Selwood Lodge
Selwood Lodge
#9 of 9 in Bognor Regis

Been to Butlins Shoreline Hotel? Share your experiences!