“Afternoon Tea at The Hickstead Hotel”
Review of The Hickstead

The Hickstead
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolney
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Just returned home after having a very pleasant 'afternoon tea'. We felt the need to express our thanks to the staff who looked after us and who made it a very warm and pleasant experience. A good choice of sandwiches coupled with victoria sponge, strawberry meringues, chocolate eclairs and jam and cream scone all washed down with a nice pot (or two!) of tea. Now its time for a snooze. Definitely will recommend to friends.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank J W
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review , we value feedback greatly

Delighted you enjoyed your tea and lovely to meet you both .

We look forward to welcoming you back

There are newer reviews for The Hickstead

Reviewed 1 January 2012

good hotel, good location, friendly staff, great english breakfast, good value.
room was too dark due to poor lighting, (simple to fix)!!
will stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thank you for your thoughts . Great to meet you over Christmas and delighted you had a nice time in the hotel and enjoyed your days out in the area

We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 23 December 2011

Another party evening, this time at the Hickstead Hotel, and not too far from home for a change.

Hotels seems a reasonable place - staff are very good and attentive. Food and entertainment were first class, although the room was not very full (about 30 persons I guess in total).

Rooms are basic but OK - adequate for the price. Only niggle was that the TV remote didn't work, but that was nothing.

The only downside is a rather strange aroma to the place. Strongest in the reception area, one of my companions said it reminded them of an old people's home - not what I would have said, but there is something there.

Location is excellent - just off the A23 means it has good links to Brighton and the coast, as well as Gatwick.

All in all, a good working hotel - not glamourous but they look after the guests and the things that count are done well.

Room Tip: Ask for rear-facing - nice views
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends

Delighted that you enjoyed your Christmas party at the hotel and were well looked after .

My apologies your remote was not working properly , but glad you enjoyed the service given to you

Reviewed 28 November 2011

This is a fantastic hotel - and you should find an excuse to stay here.

In order of growing 'impressiveness':-

1. The restaurant and bar are pleasant and well furnished. There seems to be a few locals that dine in the restaurant as well as the guests - which is always a good sign. Both had a good buzz without being crowded.
2. The rooms looked freshly decorated (in modern greys and browns) and were of a good size. Beds were comfortable and there was free wi-fi that worked well. Everything was spotless.
3. The food in the restaurant was absolutely fantastic. Although I ate there the same night as a large wedding reception was being held in the hotel I was served very quickly (less than 50 minutes from sitting down to finishing a 2 course meal) and the food quality was superb.
4. The staff are astonishingly good here - probably the best level of service I have experienced (an that includes a large number of 4 and 5 star hotels). They provide a very very professional service but they also think about you as a guest. Here are a few examples;
a. when I booked in they asked me if wanted dinner. When I said that I couldn't as I was working until 02:00 in the morning she asked me what time I was going to sleep to in the morning so she could make sure housekeeping didn't wake me up.
b. After dinner on the second night the waitress reminded me of the times for breakfast. When I said that I would be away working too early to get breakfast - she went out of her way to try and arrange something very early for me.
c. During dinner an elderly couple arrived for dinner. They could not read the menu as they did not have any reading glasses, so the waitress gave them her reading glasses for 5 minutes to read the menu.

All in all a lovely place to stay - with truly world class staff. Unfortunately for me the work I was doing in this area is now complete - so I am looking for an excuse to go back and stay here.

One minor gripe - Trouser Presses! Trouser presses remind me of some second rate has-been hotel that is grasping for ratings with the English Tourist Board. Does anyone ever use these ridiculous things? The Hickstead doesn't need to grasp for ratings - it already is top class. Please sell them on eBay and use the cash to by an iron and ironing board to stick in the wardrobe.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

We really appreciate such a positive response .
Having persuaded you to try us , confident we could give you a good experience it bis great to get feedback that shows we are doing the right things .

I have a great caring team here and they will be delighted to see and here this .

Do come and see us if you are back in the area

Reviewed 23 November 2011

It's not glamourous, no comfy lounge, lighting too bright.

But the team work very hard to keep guests happy and looked after.

Hassan and Patricia work long hours and very hard, always with a smile.

£99 room, dinner (inc wine) and breakfast - a bargain.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank Mike D

Thank you for your comments .

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were looked after by the team .

I know that they pride themselves on looking after guests and take great satisfaction from this , so your acknowledgement is very much appreciated

Do come back

Reviewed 15 November 2011

Situated just off the A23, it was near where we wanted to be. Far enough away from the main roads to be quiet enough to hear the quacking ducks in the nearby pond. Rooms were a decent size; we had the double + single family room with a rear facing aspect. No aircon but the window was sufficient and quiet enough. Looks like a popular special occasion venue, weddings etc. but we were not disturbed by the Wedding in full flight on the Saturday we stayed. There might be a slight concern over proximity to water/open windows for bug life during the summer but as we stayed in autumn, not an issue.
Only issue was with the TV signal dropping out every now and again - but who stays at a hotel to watch the TV? Countered by the excellent free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel (or at least where we went). Overall the hotel is a little dated compared to some 'chain' hotels but was clean and well managed. Breakfast was adequate and makes a change to get waiter service these days (instead of the more common buffet for hot food).
Good value for money. We paid £79 for B&B for the 2 of us booked online. Would stay again.

Room Tip: Rear facing aspect should ensure no noise from departing guests using the function room. Avoid parki...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback and comments .

I am glad you had a nice time with us and look forward to seeing you again if you need a short break . You will be pleased to know that the TV problem is now resolved

Reviewed 13 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary, the room was very clean and comfortable. We had a three course dinner in the restaurant which was excellent (treacle tart best ever) Buffet breakfast was just as good. Staff are very friendly and helpful and although there was a wedding reception on we were not disturbed at all, would certainly recommend this hotel and very much look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NICEONE_11
Hickstead, Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 14 November 2011

Thank you for your lovely comments . Great that nyou enjoyed your anniversary with us and were not disturbed by others taking the plunge . We look forward to seeing you again soon

Giles Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolney
Travelodge Hickstead Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding
The Bull
The Bull
#1 of 1 in Ditchling

Been to The Hickstead? Share your experiences!