“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Review of The Hickstead

The Hickstead
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolney
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived here after bring very disappointed by somewhere we'd booked in advance which was a real let down. It was getting late so looked online and this place came up. We got to the hotel, sat in the car park, could hear traffic noise, worried about the "it's tired. , beds hard " review. We were tired and hungry and this place is cheaper thAn Central Brighton . Thank goodness we stayed. - very friendly, very clean. Yes a little old fashioned and in some areas the paint work needs touching up. In the room, there's no noise from road or the big wedding party having their celebrations down the corridor! The room is spacious and clean. And well..... The restaurant 3 course meal included in the £109 price (for yes 2 people..... Yes for two -£54.50 each for night, dinner and Brekky) was amazing - the chef did not falter. I don't eat wheat and I could have most of the menu. Siobhan the waitress was lovely - polite and attentive .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments after your surprise unexpected visit earlier this month . We are delighted you found us and enjoyed the food and hospitality. Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just had a lovely short break visiting our favourite town Brighton. We couldn't get into one of the seafront hotels so took a gamble and booked the Hickstead which is a few miles away from the bright lights of Brighton but I am gad we did because the hotel is very nice and the staff are all really friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts on both mornings were excellent. I do agree with a previous reviewer that the bed was a little hard but other than that a very enjoyable stay and would stay at the Hickstead again!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

i was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your first visit to us when visiting th bright lights of Brighton . Whilst only 20 minutes away , I am sure you will agree that we are worlds apart and a peaceful relaxed establishemnt after the bright city lights .

Hope to meet you on the next visit

Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The room was a little old fashioned and the bed a bit on the hard side but this was more than compensated by the wonderful meal that we had in the restaurant and the lovely staff throughout the hotel. £99 for dinner, bed and breakfast I would have to say was very good value.

Stayed: August 2014

Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and particularly the gourmet offering in the restaurant. The kitchen staff will be delighted to get this feedback

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked a room for a one night stay at the Hicksted Hotel.
As I walked in reception told me before I put my bags down that the restaurant was vary busy tonight and there would not be a table before 8pm. No problem I said as it was 7.15pm at that time.
Well the rooms are ok and clean, the public areas are a little tired and a bit late 80s and the grounds not loved,but for £89.00 B&B that's ok in this part of the world.

When I came down into the bar at 8.15 I herd the restaurant manger tell the barmen not to let any more diners in as they can not cope tonight.
The restaurant had only 24 covers/diners in it, considering it has 50 covers in it so only just over half full I can't image what the service would be like if they had all the tables full.

So I decide to have a beer and come back at 9.pm When I came back I was met with we are vary busy and it will be vary slow service tonight from the manger.
Well in the end I got a vary over cooked piece of pork and the bread served as I finished my main dish and the water never came.
The manger then offered the tables all round me free Port to keep the peace as the service had been a vary poor but forgot to offer any to my table who had had to wait since 8.15 for dinner.

Was it worth the waiting I think not and we still have the fun of breakfast to look forward to.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Please accept my apologies for the overall service you received in our dining area during your visit . We had an unexpectedly busy night which does happen and this was not controled or handled very well by our supervisory staff as you have detailed . This is not a normal night where we regualrly do 30 plus covers but as we are a corporate hotel midweek it is hard sometimes to gauge how busy you are going to be and staff accordingly . We do better normally and apologise that your experience was not a good one

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We had a good deal for half board under the Discover Sussex package and were not dissapointed. The room was spacious and clean with a great shower, staff were all friendly and efficient. The food was of a high quality with a good choice on menu.The other customers were polite and courteous. In all, very good for a 3 star rated thotel.

Room Tip: If booking in hot weather, order a fan in advance.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to respond . The positive feedback was great to hear and will give the team a boost .

We look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 22 July 2014

We stayed one night on a special half board deal.not expecting much but great location for our trip. I could not belive this was a great place a large private car park staff very helpful and well worth the visit,A large bedroom with table and sitting area good free Wi-Fi tea coffee etc in the room very nice.The bathroom could do with a little up dating but quite happy.The major surprise was the set priced evening meal good choice and the quality was first class the lamb was the best I have ever tasted and was cooked to perfection well presented this chef knows what the customer wants.Breakfast was also good cooked to order and great service we will be back here again just to go back for the food.

Room Tip: all rooms have good views green country side
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Really delighted that we managed to surprise you . We try hard to offer great value and good service and we hope to see you again soon

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Stayed at the Hickstead for two nights last week. Good location for visiting Brighton and other places of interest in west and east Sussex, like Lewes Castle, well worth seeing. Our room was large, well appointed, bed was comfortable, bathroom fresh and clean with a fantastic shower. The full breakfast is cooked to order and very generous in proportion, so it is best to stipulate what and how much you want on your plate depending on your appetite at that time of day. The evening meal was good, also appeared freshly cooked rather than just micro-waved.

The hotel seems to derive much of its business from conferences, meetings and functions which in no way detracted from the service given to the leisure traveller. All staff members were friendly, very helpful and cheerful and the general ambience was reminiscent of gentler times and generally restful. I consider the Hickstead to be at the top of its class.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Really pleased that out attempts to offer good service and value in a relaxed setting led you to saying that we were top of the class . The team will be really pleased to read this .

We look forward to seeing youn again when you next fancy a break

Giles Paul

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolney
Travelodge Hickstead Hotel
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding
South Lodge Hotel
South Lodge Hotel
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding

Been to The Hickstead? Share your experiences!