“Pleasant stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bolney
Halesowen, United Kingdom
“Pleasant stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel is in a quiet location. There is a main road nearby but you don't hear it in the rooms and not that noticable outside really.
Hotel was very clean and the staff friendly.
Stayed here 2 nights from 14/8/14 booked at last minute.
Food is typical hotel price but very good quality.
Ate in the restaurant on first night, told not a table available for over an hour but when we went in later the restaurant was only half full - so maybe they only cater for so many heads at a time instead of filling out the room.
Breakfast on the Friday morning was plentiful and cooked to order, on the Saturday it was buffet style but food was still excellent.
Would definitely stay in this hotel again if visiting the area

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for your lovely comments following your recent stay. I am glad that you enjoyed our culinary delights and felt relaxed and looked after . Customer service and feedback are taken really seriously by the team, so this will give them a great boost

Giles Paul

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Rayleigh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

Friendly staff on arrival. Standard basic room with some shabby fittings. View was diabolical. Pictures posted.
Time spent in the bar was comfortable but my wingback chair was falling apart.
Had a steak meal which was nice but a bit fatty.
People in the next room had children that screamed from 7.30am but that's not the hotels fault.
An ok stay but I'm sure there are nicer places.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your comments following your visit.I was disappointed to read that whilst you were looked after well by the staff , you felt that the hotel was shabby as we are constantly looking to repair and replace damaged items . We missed the lampshades but this will be rectified .

The view to the rear is not so pleasant but many rooms are front facing over the South Downs and if you stay again and request this we will accommodate the better view .

I hope that you will consider returning at some future point

Giles Paul General Manager
Eastbourne UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2014

Not much to report really. Comfortable room. Nice staff. Bar was a little slow but weather was so nice didn't matter too much. Dull view from room. Wasn't expecting herds of Wildebeeste but looking out of window was a bit flat. Anyway staff are nice .. it is most incredibly convenient for a Brighton and Gatwick run and best of all it is not in a town or city ..just down a little country lane.

Happy to stay again.

No problems

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments .

I was delighted to read that you were looked after and will pass on your comments to the team .

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We arrived here after bring very disappointed by somewhere we'd booked in advance which was a real let down. It was getting late so looked online and this place came up. We got to the hotel, sat in the car park, could hear traffic noise, worried about the "it's tired. , beds hard " review. We were tired and hungry and this place is cheaper thAn Central Brighton . Thank goodness we stayed. - very friendly, very clean. Yes a little old fashioned and in some areas the paint work needs touching up. In the room, there's no noise from road or the big wedding party having their celebrations down the corridor! The room is spacious and clean. And well..... The restaurant 3 course meal included in the £109 price (for yes 2 people..... Yes for two -£54.50 each for night, dinner and Brekky) was amazing - the chef did not falter. I don't eat wheat and I could have most of the menu. Siobhan the waitress was lovely - polite and attentive .

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely comments after your surprise unexpected visit earlier this month . We are delighted you found us and enjoyed the food and hospitality. Hope to see you again soon

essex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just had a lovely short break visiting our favourite town Brighton. We couldn't get into one of the seafront hotels so took a gamble and booked the Hickstead which is a few miles away from the bright lights of Brighton but I am gad we did because the hotel is very nice and the staff are all really friendly and welcoming. The breakfasts on both mornings were excellent. I do agree with a previous reviewer that the bed was a little hard but other than that a very enjoyable stay and would stay at the Hickstead again!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Cleanliness
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
i was really pleased to read that you enjoyed your first visit to us when visiting th bright lights of Brighton . Whilst only 20 minutes away , I am sure you will agree that we are worlds apart and a peaceful relaxed establishemnt after the bright city lights .

Hope to meet you on the next visit

Faversham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

The room was a little old fashioned and the bed a bit on the hard side but this was more than compensated by the wonderful meal that we had in the restaurant and the lovely staff throughout the hotel. £99 for dinner, bed and breakfast I would have to say was very good value.

Stayed August 2014
Delighted that you enjoyed your stay and particularly the gourmet offering in the restaurant. The kitchen staff will be delighted to get this feedback

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

I booked a room for a one night stay at the Hicksted Hotel.
As I walked in reception told me before I put my bags down that the restaurant was vary busy tonight and there would not be a table before 8pm. No problem I said as it was 7.15pm at that time.
Well the rooms are ok and clean, the public areas are a little tired and a bit late 80s and the grounds not loved,but for £89.00 B&B that's ok in this part of the world.

When I came down into the bar at 8.15 I herd the restaurant manger tell the barmen not to let any more diners in as they can not cope tonight.
The restaurant had only 24 covers/diners in it, considering it has 50 covers in it so only just over half full I can't image what the service would be like if they had all the tables full.

So I decide to have a beer and come back at 9.pm When I came back I was met with we are vary busy and it will be vary slow service tonight from the manger.
Well in the end I got a vary over cooked piece of pork and the bread served as I finished my main dish and the water never came.
The manger then offered the tables all round me free Port to keep the peace as the service had been a vary poor but forgot to offer any to my table who had had to wait since 8.15 for dinner.

Was it worth the waiting I think not and we still have the fun of breakfast to look forward to.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hickstead, General Manager at The Hickstead, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Please accept my apologies for the overall service you received in our dining area during your visit . We had an unexpectedly busy night which does happen and this was not controled or handled very well by our supervisory staff as you have detailed . This is not a normal night where we regualrly do 30 plus covers but as we are a corporate hotel midweek it is hard sometimes to gauge how busy you are going to be and staff accordingly . We do better normally and apologise that your experience was not a good one

Giles Paul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bolney
Premier Inn Burgess Hill Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,456 reviews
The Bull
The Bull
#1 of 1 in Ditchling

Been to The Hickstead? Share your experiences!