“Friendly pub off the beaten track with great food”
Review of The Black Horse

The Black Horse
Ranked #2 of 4 Restaurants in Climping
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was the first time that we've been back to the Black Horse in Climping for some time now and there has clearly been a change in ownership. This time there were significantly more friendly staff on hand and the place was relatively full. We were shown immediatey to our seats and orders for drinks were taken straight away. The young "no problem" waitress was very attentive and helpful. The menu was a bit of a pub standard type but I admit that I forgot to look at the blackboard where the fish specials were publicised. I ended up with a starter of three (yes three, but OK they were quite big) calamari rings and alioli. I chose liver and bacon with mashed potatoes and peas for my main course. The liver was well cooked (!) but still edible. One of our party had the huge mixed platter combination and was still chewing on his spare rib bones when the rest of us were wondering if they would soon be serving breakfast. He was well chuffed...
We like the location of the Black Horse as it is well off the beaten track and close enough to the shingle beach at the bottom of the lane to catch the last vestiges of the sunset and take in the sea air.

1  Thank Eyekaytoo

Reviewed 4 June 2014

Food is exquisite!!! Lovely younge lady made us laugh followed by warm and welcome. I felt the bar man was having a bad day and was very rude to my sister and I. I understand he was very stressed but a bit more attention would of been appreciated, other than that! Highly recommend the black horse! Beautiful food, well priced!!

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Visiting the area and staying just round the corner.
Starters were standard pub fare. My main of lasagne was fantastic - loads of meat and sauce and appeared to be home made rather than a pre packed /cooked one!!!
However husbands mixed grill was a bit standard and some of the meat overcooked and dry.
However the prices are good!

1  Thank Caroline H
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this lovely little pub purely by accident and was so glad we did! The staff were friendly and attentive & the whole pub had a very warm atmosphere. The food was good too - I had steak & my Mum had fajitas ... Waited a little while but was all freshly cooked so didn't mind one bit! Great value for money too!

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We booked a table for lunch on Sunday for 13:00. We arrived early so we ordered our meal and had a drink in the garden. Service was rather slow (lunch arrived just after 13:30) as the new owners have only just taken over but we enjoyed the freshly cooked food and the friendly atmosphere. We wish them the best of luck and hope to be able to give 5 stars next time :-)