“Bailiffscourt, beautiful, worth every penny!”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

Bailiffscourt is fantastic. Having already visited The Spread Eagle & Ockenden Manor - also in the HS group, we had high expectations which this hotel met admirably. From the moment we arrived every member of staff was polite, friendly and helpful with the General Manager going so far as to lend my husband his own cuff links as he'd forgotten his. That's going the extra mile!
The hotel is situated in beautiful grounds, is full if character and quirky features, it looks older than it is and has a medieval theme.
We'd booked for the Valentine Warner dinner, originally last January but moved due to TV commitments - the whole experience was well worth the wait. Our room was the Maunsbrook suite, which was superb, with a stunning huge bathroom with roll top bath, open fire in the room , & 4 poster bed. Lovely furniture and garden views, with plenty of space and one of the most comfy beds ever- a real treat.
The Spa is great with indoor & outdoor pools, hot tubs, sauna & steam rooms. Relax in a lounger, have a coffee and chill out in lovely surroundings.
The spa at Ockenden is more modern (it's newer) but this is also excellent.
Peacocks roam the grounds, we enjoyed a walk around plus a stroll to nearby Climping Beach, helpfully signposted "to the sea".

The Valentine Warner dinner was fantastic- Val used to work with Martin Hadden the head chef at the HS group and they are great friends, so Val had returned to cook in the Bailiffscourt kitchen with his ex colleague. We enjoyed an Italian themed meal with wines and a chat between each course with the chefs. A memorable evening indeed. We were lucky enough to meet Val earlier in the day- what a lovely chap he is, happy to sign cookbooks and have his photo taken with guests.

Front of house really are superb so special thanks to Chris and all the staff. We had a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed: September 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,054)

Reviewed 23 September 2013

What a superb and beautiful place! So rare to find somewhere this luxurious that has no corporate feel. Friendly and intelligent staff, who anticipated and remembered previous requests. Delicious food served beautifully with expert help over the choices. Faultless service and wonderful facilities. The spa was comfortable and un-crowded and everything was in good order (apart from 1 of the tennis courts).

Room Tip: They're all good. The more modern block has brighter rooms.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank stephaniedleigh
Reviewed 23 September 2013

What an amazing place! There were 11 of us and had a selection of bedrooms ranging from modern, contemporary to olde worlde. The food at this hotel is very good but it was the staff that makes it stand out from others. From the friendly faces at reception to the lovely lady at breakfast. All the other staff inbetween were just as great. There is a private footpath to the beach, a mere 7 minutes walk away and the grounds of the hotel are immaculate. Then there is the spa. Another set of lovely staff. The outdoor pool is gorgeous and very warm. Personally I preferred the outdoor one to the indoor as I felt it was just too hot inside. Not a cheap place to stay and the bar drinks are very pricey but hey when it is a celebration.......

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We have visted Bailiffscourt Hotel many times and yet again had a fantastic experience. The visit is made even better for me as I am Coeliac and all you have to do is mention it at the beginning of your stay and you are catered for in every possible way. It is remembered throughout no matter how many times the waiting staff change and you are made to feel that nothing is too much trouble. The only small blip is that the mattress was too soft.

Room Tip: Always ask for what offers they have and then when confirmed, ask for an upgrade, works most times a...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I sort of came upon the Hotel by accident, in that it was accidental that I was exploring the actual lane where it is situated but it was my having been surfing the web in the previous week that helped me recognise the name when I saw it, so I thought I would just have a look, even though I knew it would be pretty outrageously priced on my supposed budget.

Oh dear...from the moment I saw the place there was probably little chance of my staying anywhere else. It was one of those, "Well no one else is ever going to bring me here!" Its just one of those things that as a single lady you just have to accept, costs a fortune to experience.

But it was special. Lovely Janine on reception happily showed me the choice of rooms available and of three, I opted for LANGMEADE. The sun was shining through the windows from the meadow late in the day, showing the room at its best and most romantic. It felt like home immediately, There are a number of quirks to the place which I will leave for newcomers to discover themselves, but a couple of unique features, and how the place came to be is also pretty unique. It is not so out of the way that you couldnt jump in your car and eat elsewhere but having seen the beautiful dining room, I wanted the whole experience and was so glad I did.
My starter was divine, a great big hunk of foie gras terrine, which judging by the number of times different staff members came to see how I was doing, was probably frustrating chef because my main was ready. But if you re going to provide such exceptional food, Im going to savour it to the fullest. A glass of lovely champagne, delicious herby black pitted olives and warm bread, wonderful. My main was a little disappointing by comparison. I chose a selection of beef with a curry topped tuile. The plate looked a bit unexciting. The lights had been dimmed so I had difficulty seeing it clearly. The sliced beef of which there were two slices, very small pieces, nicely pink but strangely not cutting like butter, had hardly any flavour. The other which I had mistaken in the dark for a large piece of aubergine, I nearly didnt eat until I remembered I was supposed also to have ox cheek. And that was delicious!! But the vegetables, whilst perfectly presented, were rather bland.
I chose the vanilla creme caramel with pineapple sorbet and ice cream. This too was divine, particularly the delicate not sugary sweet sorbet, mouthwatering. And the sesame seed biscuit served with it was scrummy,
Service was excellent, and the staff perfectly proper but at the same time friendly. Particular thanks go to the lovely French young man from Calais who chatted and made me feel comfortable although I was on my own.
After a wonderful nights sleep, I breakfasted on cereals and fruit with whisky infused dried apricots and porridge with cream and a tot of RUM...delicious. And a lovely welcome from Sharon who had also made me very welcome in the dining room the previous evening.

I popped across to the Spa before breakfast but it was quite busy and the two pools and the sauna/steam room are a bit small if more than two people try to use them. But the facilities are immaculate and all housed in a beautifully designed thatched barn, opposingly complementing the architecture of the main hotel and outbuildings. It felt very decadant, walking outside from my room in my supplied bathrobe, through the garden to the Spa.

I would love to return again and envied someone who had written in the visitor's book that they had stayed there for a whole week!!! Maybe one day....Thankyou Bailiffscourt for making the final night of my time away so Special x

Room Tip: I chose a classic room but basically because the sun was shining into it at the time!!!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Gail T
Reviewed 1 September 2013

Faultless. Immaculate room (massive and beautifully furnished). Food (tasting menu and a breakfast) absolutely spot-on. Grounds stunning. Spa (used the pools and had 2 treatments) really beautiful and well run. 5min walk to the sea. The service, however, was the highlight. Friendly, efficient and a 'no request is too much trouble' approach. Expensive but worth the money. We will be returning within the month.

Room Tip: Superior double is incredibly luxurious. Seek out the homemade shortbread in the room - it's stu...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I stayed at Bailiffscourt for one night to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It's the fifth time we've been; on each occasion I'd have given it 5 stars all the way. The location is perfect; quiet, beautiful and close to the sea. The rooms are quirky but spacious, pretty and comfortable. The spa is the main selling point for us. It's the best we've ever been to. It's relaxing and the quality of the facilities and treatments is excellent.
The experience this time was let down by the room service breakfast and the grumpy receptionist on the morning we checked out. The continental breakfast was average, but missing some items including the newspaper. On enquiring about the missing items, the response was less than friendly. I was told that the newspaper was "complimentary and in any case it hasn't been delivered yet" (it was 10am). It may have been complimentary, but at £360 a night I expect a bit better! Other than that, the experience was excellent and we will no doubt go back again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Lower Beeding
Norfolk Arms Hotel
Norfolk Arms Hotel
#2 of 7 in Arundel

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!