“My special birthday”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“My special birthday”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a special birthday of mine. We had a fantastic time. The staff were so helpful - nothing was too much trouble. We selected a Deluxe room in the main building - it was wonderful to sit after dinner in our room with a log fire lit - something we don't do much these days. Definitely worth a visit as the location is unique. We will certainly go back and are just waiting for confirmation from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We stayed in this lovely hotel and spa for one night over Easter while visiting an aunt in the vicinity. The grounds are peaceful and we liked the classic look of everything, even though the buildings themself are from the early 20th century.
We also enjoyed the spa in a converted barn with indoor and heated outdoor pool. We went during family hours which were hugely successful and we couldn't understand why they were kept so short.
Part of our deal was also dinner which we found excellent however first the waitress confused the wine we had ordered and wanted us to pay for one we had not ordered. Later we were charged an extra £52 for the dinner our 13 year old daughter had consumed even though during the meal nobody had told us that she was only allowed to chose from the kids menu. I find this attitude unbecoming of a venue that wants to be friendly and relaxed and we will not be coming back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Georg_R17
ChrisAlger, General Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Very sorry there has been a mix up here and having looked in to this the family concerend booked a package where their daughter was staying ‘Free on a bed and breakfast basis’, so it stands to reason that any drinks, lunch, snacks, dinner etc. would be charged accordingly and our menus are clearly priced.
The standard in the Restaurant is that if the children are clearly young we offer the children’s menu with crayons, however if they are older, we tend to offer both the children’s and adult menu so they have the choice. From our experience it’s not unusual to have older children ordering from the main dinner menu, however we do charge accordingly. In this particular case their daughter had all 3 courses from the main dinner menu.
As it happens, over the Easter holidays I had a chat with one family, who have been staying with us over the years and they said that their daughter is now growing out of the children’s menu (not cool to be colouring in menus anymore!) but she was not quite ready for the full dinner menu, and suggested a middle ground menu for the bigger kids/younger adults may help resolve this issue.
So, said suggestion is now work in progress and all being well will be in place for half term.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

We stayed for mother's day weekend. Our room was in the main house (Arundol [sic]?). It was very well done and a great winter feel. We went with our baby and dog and there was just about enough space for us all. The grounds are fabulous and setting is very nice. The restaurant was good but not quite as brilliant as we had thought it would be. The staff are great. The manager has worked in some of the best country hotels and it shows. He discretely came for a 5 minute chat over a glass of wine and made sure that we had a very special time. He is always working, seemingly from the crack of dawn until the early hours of the morning.

The only negative for us was that the pool only allows kids in it for short periods of time twice a day. It was tough not being able to go for a swim, in what is a family hotel, on mother's day with our 1 year old. On the positive side, if you don't have kids you will have a quiet swim!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Al_and_Meli
Cologne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Foreign visitors to England in search of 'Englishness' need travel no further than Bailiffscourt Hotel in Climping for it combines the plusses as well as imperfections and eccentricities of the country. The latter includes the plumbing, poor building insulation, the chaos (albeit harmonious) of the well worn furnishings, fittings and fabrics, the slightly under-seasoned lunch and dinner dishes (breakfast and the traditional English tea are the best meals), the wobbly, cumbersome chairs in the dining room plus inconsistent standards of service (room cleaning could do with a periodic quality and functional contol) - all of which are profusely documented by other Trip Advisors.
However, this misses the point and appeal of Bailiffscourt - and citical guests in search of perfection should spend their holidays in Switzerland instead. For Bailiffscourt is a thoroughly English institution (with unique, characterful buildings, exceptional grounds and gardens and discreet personnel) which puts a premium on making (affluent) guests and their dogs feel at home. No ties (or worse) in the dining room; no automated customer interface; table tennis and other sporting games are located next to the peaceful, walled rose garden and the whole is rounded off by a comprehensively equipped spa (indoor/outdoor heated swimming pool, sauna, hamam and beauty treatment) democratically open to the public as well as hotel guests. The site is set in the middle of arable farmland and barely a five minute walk on foot to Climping's wonderfully natural beach - undeveloped but sandy only at low tide).
Hotel service is friendly, never pushy and shows a good portion of English reserve (even guest preferences like tea or coffee accompanying breakfast in the morning are quickly forgotten).
This is Albion at its best - and congratulations to the management and staff for keeping Bailiffscourt this way. We'll be back again and again (at least as long as we can afford it)! Viator ed canis Coloniae

Room Tip: The hotel consists of a number of buildings - of varying age and standard. All involve a walk to the...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Viatorcoloniae
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

At four months pregnant and celebrating our seventh wedding anniversary, my husband and I were looking for a relaxing hotel to celebrate. The hotel and grounds are beautiful, and we were met with a very warm welcome before being shown to our classic double room (one up from the standard). It was quite compact but not to a disappointing level and in fact I was very impressed that the bathroom was pretty spacious - almost the same size as the bedroom. The traditional fittings and fixtures were in keeping with the style of the place and everything was clean. We both found the bed and pillows to be soft, squishy and incredibly comfortable. The walls perhaps were fairly thin as we could always hear people in the corridor but never in the neighbouring room.

Unfortunately, as our anniversary fell on the Easter weekend, the pool area was full of kids and their families so it was not the relaxing ambience we had hoped for, but I'm assuming this would not be such an issue on an average weekend. I had a wonderful spa treatment that took full consideration of my pregnancy and left me feeling truly relaxed.

The breakfast was very good although I am used to more variety at equivalent hotels. There were no pastries for example, except if you ordered a croissant from the menu however on both mornings they had run out. There was a choice of cereals, a small amount of fruit (grapefruit, apples and melon) and fresh juices in the buffet as well as whisky for your porridge if you're that way inclined! And you can order a cooked breakfast as part of your B&B room rate, or order waffles, kippers and smoked salmon (?) for an additional supplement of around £3 I think. We ate in their restaurant on one night and we were very happy with our food. It was presented beautifully and whilst the taste didn't quite match the presentation, we still enjoyed a wonderful meal. Overall, the staff were very friendly and welcoming and we would definitely return to this hotel again, however it failed to get a full five stars from me simply because it didn't go above and beyond in terms of quality, value and service in the way other hotels I've visited have. I would also like to note that whilst I loved my treatment and the pool area was nice, the spa is not quite the standard I'd require to choose for my annual spa weekend away with my best friend. As a relaxing, country hotel with the added bonus of a spa attached however, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family.

1 Thank subee
West Chiltington, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

My husband and I booked an anniversary lunch here early April. The setting is lovely and the staff were very friendly and efficient. Sadly the food was disappointing. We chose the set menu expecting a limited choice but of the high quality we had experienced at their sister hotel, Ockenden Manor. To be offered fishcakes, risotto and something with pieces of bacon was poor. As my husband noted there was nothing that represented a piece of meat or fish. We chose the risotto which was delicious but the smallest portion I have ever been given as a main course. I do not have a large appetite but ate the three courses and was by no means adequately sated. This is such a shame we thoroughly enjoy Ockenden and thought Bailifscourt could be added to our options. Our further disappointment was that we had been told you could walk to the beach. We asked the staff for directions and followed the path only to find that the gate was locked. We had to walk back to the car, drive down and pay at the car park on April 3rd.

2 Thank zenia10
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

On a sunny day the grounds to this hotel are beautiful. We stayed here as an adult 2 night break without the kids for a bit of pampering, good food and luxury and to be honest I spent most of the time wishing I had booked Ockenden Manor (in the same group of hotels). There are no particular horror stories just the general service received is not quite to the standard we had hoped for. The bar service in the main hotel seems to suffer when room service demands are high and the waiter only service is hopeless. The spa is in a lovely building, with a very nice tea/coffee room but compared to some spa hotels around, the facilities are limited with a very small gym. Noise seemed to travel between the rooms especially if you had the misfortune to be near a family room and I would put a word of warning out there about the mattress we had, a medieval superior room comes with a mattress from the medieval period.

Room Tip: If you have ventured out without your kids, I would suggest asking whether you are next to a family...
2 Thank FussyLondonW6
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
Ockenden Manor Hotel & Spa
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,907 reviews
Angmering Manor
Angmering Manor
#1 of 1 in Angmering

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!