“Afternoon Tea”

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Climping
Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Afternoon Tea today in the rose garden. We did not want to leave. Open to non residents for lunches dinner & afternoon tea. Always special. The grounds are stunning. It's close to Clymping beach. And even if you don't stay (which I recommend you do) it's a lovely place to have a tea. They have a great menu & also have a cheaper weekday lunch. If you drive past it when you go to Clymping & think I wonder what it's like. Go in. You won't be disappointed. We went just because we love it. And it's special.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Joanne H

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent one night at Bailiffscourt with a friend last week. It was my fourth or perhaps even fifth visit and i return because it is one if the most relaxing places I have ever stayed.
I love it and will continue to visit. However, I do think the quality now is not what it was five years ago when I first discovered it.
The spa remains top notch, but treatments vary wildly depending on which therapist you are allocated.
The light lunches in the spa are fresh and good. However, the main event (evening meal) is no better than average in spite of the lovely surroundings and charming staff.
Come on Bailiffscourt... Get a grip!
D

Room Tip: Choose a room with a log fire!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

We were treated to a fabulous meal for our friends birthday. The venue is full of interest and surprises. We have lived in the area for 4 years and didn't know about this little gem. The food was first class and the staff extremely helpful. Will definitely go again.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I went for a night for dinner, bed and breakfast. The place is fabulous and our room was gorgeous. The spa facilities were wonderful and we swam outside and then relaxed on sun loungers whilst having a cream tea.
However the service in the restaurant was appalling. We waited 30 minutes for our main course and I had to ask a waiter to remove our dirty dishes.
Breakfast was even worse. We waited so long for our cooked breakfast, and when my husband lost his rag and demanded to know where it was, our breakfast arrived over cooked and dried up. Again, I had to ask for our dirty dishes to be removed. This is completely unacceptable for a hotel that is very expensive. We don't mind paying, but you don't expect very poor service. It spoilt the experience for us.

Room Tip: Our room, 'Arondelle' was superb.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Maggie356
ChrisAlger, General Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

I am so glad you enjoyed your room, the spa and hotel’s general ambiance during your recent stay. Thank you for bringing the service issues to my attention. All of us here are very sorry for the shortcomings you experienced - and disappointed we weren’t able to offer you the high standards of service we normally provide. If you would like to discuss any of this with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would welcome the opportunity to find out more detail about your experience.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked the hotel as it was my husbands birthday and mine a few days later expecting a wonderful time for the money we had paid 5 months in advance in full, but we were very disappointed. The service was ok nothing special same with food. The room was lovely but our bathroom tap the pressure was low we did report it to the reception they looked into it but no action was taken The gardens and ground were superb we enjoyed the chapel. We will not be going back. .

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jacqueline p
ChrisAlger, General Manager at Bailiffscourt Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

We appreciate the feedback and we do apologise as we should have updated you with regards to the water pressure. With 39 rooms across 7 different buildings, the water pressure can and does vary, however we do find it is generally acceptable in all rooms and we ensure that our maintenance team regularly checks the plumbing throughout the hotel and fixes any issues as soon as they are detected. However, we are sorry that you did not find this to be so with the bathroom tap in your room during your stay.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

The issue was the service. Everyone was very nice, super polite, and really exuded an air of general goodness but food service was patchy. We had to wait over an hour for 3 sandwiches, a salad and 2 kids meals, and the order was wrong in any case! Dinner service was slow, perhaps because our party (4 adults, 2 children and 2 babies) were put in the conservatory, away from the main guests. Not that bad as it meant the kids could play.

Food wasn't bad, but not great. Soufflé was eggy and runny. Don't order the waffles for breakfast (£2.50 supplement) as it is so incredibly sweet, with hard nuggets of even more sugar.

We were in Greenways, a nice room, large enough for a sofabed for the girls and cot for the baby but it was up a tiny flight of stairs. Our bed was a bit saggy though, giving us sore backs after 2 nights. My sister, husband and baby were given the hottest room above the conservatory. They had to move rooms as even the fan was just moving hot air around.

Overall, a lovely stay but check your room fits your requirements and remember you may need to ask more than once for food!

Would probably return.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank J0YM5
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Like many others who have reviewed Bailiffscourt, we found the hotel to be very special. The setting is so tranquil, just sitting in the garden with a glass of wine admiring the gorgeous view is enough to soothe ones’ spirit. We too found the staff to be quite delightful.....the restaurant was extremely busy for Sunday lunch and consequently the staff were more than a little stretched, but they were charming and rose to the challenge that this glorious sunny day presented.
However, there were a couple of blots on what was very nearly an outstanding stay....we stayed in one of the traditional rooms and whilst the room was spacious and the bathroom enormous it was evident that the fireplace had been recently used as the room smelt so strongly of burnt smoke and unfortunately both my husband and I found the bed terribly uncomfortable. I planned to speak with the reception on checkout to enquire whether the contemporary rooms had different beds, as we fully intended to make a reservation to stay again later this summer if they do. However, we then encountered a problem at the pool which, sadly, made us reconsider.
The hotel operates a very restrictive policy regarding swimming hours for children; 10:00 to 11:00 and 3:30 to 5:00. Our daughter, like many young people, loves to swim....it’s one of the most special things for her about staying away. I understand that balancing the needs of adults and children can be a tricky business for a hotel of this nature, but if you welcome families I truly feel this level of restriction needs to be reconsidered.
Our daughter enjoyed her swim in the beautiful outdoor pool that is heated to a wonderful temperature, she vacated the pool without fuss at 5 p.m. and came and quietly sat with us on a sun lounger drying off.
We were perturbed when a few minutes later a member of staff came over and informed us that our daughter was not allowed to sit on the sun loungers and must vacate the pool area. This, to us, was a step too far....if children are boisterously playing disturbing other guests that is one thing, but not permitted to quietly sit with her parents on a sun lounger? This really did mar our experience, which is a real shame.
We also consider that a check-in time of 3:00 p.m. and check-out of 11:00 a.m. is just, again, pushing things too far as a policy....this was far from a cheap night’s stay, we certainly didn’t want to be rushing. This said, when we called to request a late checkout, the staff were very accommodating and confirmed we could stay in the room until 12:30 and the staff were aware that we needed to leave for a wedding at 3:00 p.m. on the day of check-in so proactively arranged an early check-in for us.....lovely service but why irritate your clients with seemingly unreasonable times in the first place?

Room Tip: We found our bed in a traditional room uncomfortable.....maybe the contemporary rooms are better?
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank SLHM2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Climping
The Spread Eagle Hotel & Spa
Hilton Avisford Park
Hilton Avisford Park
#5 of 7 in Arundel
Millstream Hotel & Restaurant

Been to Bailiffscourt Hotel? Share your experiences!