“A Yummy Mummy child free haven.”
Review of Denmans Garden - CLOSED

Denmans Garden
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy beautiful gardens designed by John Brookes.
Sussex
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“A Yummy Mummy child free haven.”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Unlike every Costa Coffee, Starbucks and the large garden centre/shopping complex this secret place is free of 4x4 buggies and children running amok. There is even a sign on the counter asking parents to supervise their children and not let them run about. Very sensible as the café has some delightful and eccentric artefacts, many of value or easily toppled. VERY expensive
(£6.45 for a double Americano & slice of cake), but that's a good thing as it keeps the crowds at bay and patrons seem to respect the tranquillity & specialness of the place. Sure the outside eating area is not immaculate but that adds to it's natural rural charm, and all I could see and hear as I sat in the sun was lots of greenery and birdsong. I delighted in sharing my slice of cake with 3 Robins. Can't wait to return.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank SunbeamSussex

Chichester, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Really nice restaurant, lovely decoration, good food, quaint little shop, I love it. Definitely would recommend to anyone, couples, family etc. Never been in the gardens as of yet, but they look lovely.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bek W
Horsham, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“neglected garden and scruffy outdoor shop”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We visited Denmans to get inspiration for our own garden, sadly we found a weed strewn overgrown scruffy garden which looked like the owners have given up on it! It cost £14 for 2 adults and a 7 year old and we were in and out in 20 minutes. - a shocking waste of money ! The exterior plant sales area had a few sad looking specimens dotted around a scruffy courtyard. The cafe and shop looked attractive but we felt so ripped off by the garden experience we had no inclination to stay !

Visited April 2014
1 Thank Juliaanaharrybee
Sussex
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Disappointing garden - cafe "a hidden treasure"”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

The garden is small and seems very hit and miss - mostly described in the leaflet as "random" planting - it is definitely not worth the £4.95 entry fee (and they have also removed option of family ticket but maybe this will come back in the summer?) However the café is a hidden gem - we went on Mothering Sunday and it was very busy (they do take reservations) but we were still able to get a table indoors however there is also a large outdoor area. The tea came with extra hot water and the cake slices were generous. The main meals looked excellent (anywhere that serves a fish finger sandwich gets my vote!) We will definitely go back for lunch but will not bother with the gardens - I would rather spend the money on the food.

Visited March 2014
London, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great Food in an Unusual Setting”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The restaurant is attached to a garden shop and is the primary attraction; great for a light lunch and tea. Very English selection, mostly locally sourced pies and similar for lunch, a good range of puddings and cakes which I assume are made on the premises.

You can either eat in the Conservatory attached to the restaurant or outside; it's nice in the summer or a sunny winter's day in particular, because your kids can wander around the garden and look at the various sculptures.

I used to go there on a regular basis when I lived in the area; my only caveat is that the owner doesn't seem to care for kids very much, which seemed a bit odd given the set-up.

Visited April 2013