“A rip-off”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Denmans Garden

Denmans Garden
Ranked #2 of 2 things to do in Fontwell
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy beautiful gardens designed by John Brookes.
Bognor Regis, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“A rip-off”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My wife and I visited on a weekday with a Groupon Voucher. There was nobody there to let us in, we had to ring a bell two or three times for a young lad to let us into the gardens, bearing in mind it opened at 10.00am and we arrived at 11.30am! Once inside, we were so disappointed at the state of the gardens. The grass was not cut, the borders were shabby, weeds were growing, it was decidedly unkempt and in need of a lot of tlc. Nobody had cared for the gardens for months. Usually when you visit gardens, you see staff working on them. There was nobody to be seen, only another three or four visitors who were as disappointed as us.
We visited the café intending to have lunch but the there was only a couple of tables in use, with a large area to use indoors and out. Prices were very expensive for what was on offer, so we decided to eat elsewhere. We cannot comment on the standard of the food.
All in all a very disappointing experience.

4 Thank chrisles72

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Absolute waste of money”
Reviewed 10 August 2014

The garden was recommended to us by a relative, who hadn't been themselves for many years, and with the reputation of John Brookes, we thought we would be in for a treat. How wrong we were! It cost £4.75 per person to get into a shabby, dull, uninspirational space. Everything needed a really good prune, water and an injection of colour. We also made the mistake of stopping for a cup of coffee and a slice of cake, which were OK, but for three of us it came to £17.00! In total we spent over £30.00 for barely an hour's visit. Really would not recommend this place at all!!!

Bognor
56 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“In need of a good water!”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just visited after a hot, dry spell so everything was very parched. However, as a paid for attraction you would expect more effort made to water; many plants had just withered and died. The area is not huge but certainly needs some TLC. Some interesting plants which could be shown of more effectively. Only had a snack in the cafe, but service was good and the menu appeared imaginative and tasty.

Arundel, United Kingdom
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Sadly it's run down”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I had visited this garden several years ago and enjoyed it. My niece is a garden designer and she had sung it's praises about 5 years ago and told me the garden was award-winning.
I don't think it would win an award today - weedy, unkempt and dried out. I know the weather has been exceptionally hot and there were hoses laying around but seemed no one to use them. One female gardener doing her best but a lot of tlc needed to bring this garden back to life. Minimal amount of plants for sale and looking like it has been intentionally run down. If not, I feel sorry for the owner that this once thriving garden has seen happier times.
The tea room, once very busy by 12.30 so you had to book a table, was very quiet. Cafe staff very helpful and friendly, as usual. I have been to the cafe several times in recent years.
I would love to write a positive review of the gardens as I know this affects how people respond but unfortunately I am unable. The very pleasant cafe is worth a visit. The length of time I recommend for the entire visit is including a good time spent in the cafe. However, in my opinion, the garden visit would take less than an hour.

Southwater, United Kingdom
“Visit with my mum”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Groupon deal .Gardens with Cup of tea or coffee. £7 The Gardens were very run down and weeds and many dead heads so needed a really good prune. Shame as could be really nice . Wish I had taken my pruners! . However, enjoyed walking around and chatting to my mum. Highlight the cafe with such an extensive menu. Basically we paid £7 for 2 cups of tea. Come on Denmans sort your gardens out and your garden center needs attention by either planting the poor un-watered plants or throw them away.

Visited July 2014