“A quiet hidden gem!”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This place is understated and just quite superb. Unique in my view.

Ian and his team will give you a warm welcome. It's in the "Middle of Nowhere" and for those who do not know the area, quite remote and tricky to find.

You walk in to a small bar where a few locals congragate and then to the left, you have this lovely restaurant. A superb menu, always, and specials change regulaly. The chef is excellent and the quality of the food is quite superb.

I was there last Saturday evening and everything, including the service, was exceptional!

This is high West End standard fair!!

Just go. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

This great pub has always had a good reputation for quality food but I hadn't eaten here in years.
Well this could become our regular based on our experience.
The bar was buzzing and the restaurant just got busier and busier as the evening wore on.
So we had 3 courses of wonderfully cooked and beautifully presented food, my pork tenderloin was pink and melted in the mouth.
My sweet was amazing, so good infact I actually felt the piece could have been smaller and I would still have loved it.
The service was professional and very efficient and bearing in mind there were only 2 ladies covering both the bar and busy restaurant, I'd say they earnt their tips and some.
There is limited parking directly at the front of the pub but follow the car park sign to a further large car park to the side. Outside space is generous with a rear terrace and side lawned area.
The restaurant area is rather tardis like and allows for plenty of covers, I can imagine weekends becoming very busy and booking at these times would be recommended.

1  Thank DAN M
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have visited here a few times. The staff are always very friendly and helpful. The food is always top class. I had a birthday dinner back in May. We were a table of 14. The service was excellent as was the food and a very accomaditing landlord.
I would definitely recommend a visit it is well worth it.

1  Thank Lubadulls
Reviewed 16 October 2013

Cold day in the country, roaring log fire crackles and friendly landlord serves up some fine ale. Arrived at 5.30pm, partner and her friend in tow and landlord tells us that the tables in the dining area are fully booked for food but just one table available which is in the snug. It turns out to be a perfect setting to watch the coming and goings of this well run country pub. From the farmer coming in off the land to the suited gent returning home from London this is the sort of pub were people watching is essential and when the board of specials went up we knew that the people wouldn't be the only fun attraction of the evening.
I had the mussels for starter, the other two went for courgette fritters and some foccacia bread. Both dishes were good, mussels were plump and juicy, sauce wasn't too sickly, courgette fritters could have been a little less greasy and a little less reliant on the mayonnaise. Overall it wasn't bad.
For the main dish I went for Belly Pork. This was crispy but on closer inspection when turned over it was dry and a little tough. Could have unfortunately been a bit better. Others had duck leg (very nice) and the masala cod (different, tasty, I am told that it would be a bit of a one off but was well received and eaten and the portion was more than generous).
For sweet I had the soaked pear and this was a very special dish, served with a slice of blue cheese and a crumble which had been soaked in a spirit I cant quite remember. Excellent dish, highlight of the evening for me.
Overall the food was good, some things not so good but some things really excellent. Atmosphere was great and service was flawless and friendly. I will definitely be visiting this pub again very soon, think it would be even cosier in Winter.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

Husband's Birthday lunch very good. I was interested to try ham, egg and chips as I was curious after having read a non complimentary review on trip advisor from the 4th September. My ham, egg and chips were excellent. The hand made chips were superb, home cooked ham and eggs delicious - all for £10! Amazing value. Service was very good too.