“Tea & cake”

Description: Jeremys Restaurant
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Tea & cake”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Went there for a catch up with 2 friends (one of which had a small baby). Easy car parking facilities. Quite spacious inside & plenty of tempting cakes. I would return.

Visited August 2013

Hurstpierpoint, United Kingdom
“Regular weekend visitor”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We visit here nearly every weekend on a Saturday or Sunday and have never had a bad meal. We think the food is delightfully cooked and for the quality fairly priced. We have taken 9 to 13 year old children on a number of occasions and never felt they were unwelcome and we have seen other families with children of all ages - the café even provides high chairs for babies so they must be welcome. Of course it takes a while to get the food on the table, if it cooked fresh for you in the Kitchen, but it's worth the wait. Their Lemon Posset is the best I've tasted

• Visited October 2013
West Sussex
“Children not welcome”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I visited cafe Elvira together with my two young children ( aged 3 and nearly two), my sister and her three young children, my mother and my thirteen year old nephew on the 4th September. We had hoped to enjoy a cup of coffee before having a walk around the Borde Hill Gardens. As soon as we entered the cafe we were made to feel extremely unwelcome. It was made clear by the older lady working there (who later told me her name was Dorothy) that she wanted us all to sit outside. We chose to remain inside particularly since there are a lot of wasps around at this time of year. The cafe was also fairly quiet and all the large tables inside were available. The children all sat down quietly but we were aware that Dorothy was watching us like a hawk and clearly unhappy about our or rather the children's presence. I went over to the counter to purchase some drinks and food when Dorothy headed over to our table and grabbed my three year olds arm as he had dared to touch the sugar bowl and pulled it away from him saying ' I knew this was going to happen'. She then proceeded to remove everything off the table including the flowers. At this point we unsurprisingly made the decision to leave. I told the extremely unpleasant lady that we had never been made to feel so unwelcome and queried why there was not a sign on the door making it clear that children are not welcome. We will not be returning and I find it unbelievable that a restaurant worker feels it appropriate to effectively manhandle a customer's child.

Visited September 2013
7 Thank Martine335
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A perfect place with perfect food”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We are regulars at Elvira and having read some of the reviews, I was shocked. Elvira is more than a cafe. It serves excellent homemade food at a very reasonable price. The quiches with salad and edible flowers are one of my favourites. As are the smokies. Actually I have never been disappointed by a meal (or the service) at Elvira. And we are under 40!

• Visited August 2013
West Sussex, United Kingdom
“Ideal spot for a light lunch”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Went for a light lunch with a girlfriend, on a hot sunny day, arrived at 12.45 pm to find the place buzzing and very busy. We managed to get the last available table in the garden so had our lunch in the glorious sunshine.

Mine was a quiche with a tomato salad and my friend had brushcetta - both were decent sized portions and extremely tasty. I've since made the tomato salad at home as I enjoyed it so much.

I've often visited for tea in the afternoon and they have a nice selection of cakes and pastries, including at least one gluten free cake. Yum!

• Visited July 2013