“Great meal with great service”

Paolino Italian Restaurant
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Great meal with great service”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Just back from a meal at Paulinos. Our meal was tasty and with it we drank a great bottle of Sicilian wine. Service was friendly and efficient. We'll be back soon!

• Visited August 2013

Pratovecchio, Italy
“Could not cope with a large party”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

The artisan pizza bread was inedible, uncooked but dry and the pizzas the same, obviously due to lack of heat in the oven. There was a lack of organization even though we had to order on advance. The insalata di pollo did not contain the promised ingredients from the menu, only the chicken and lettuce. We enjoyed the evening as we were with friends, but the food was not up to scratch.

Visited August 2013
Pumata, Owner at Paolino Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
Hello Rosietat im so sorry to hear from to have a bad experience at our restaurant when you last visited Paolino.As a restaurant owner to be onest I do always check everytime of my customers dining experience and also I like to hear their feedback, in your occasion I don't remember anyone reporting to us this inedible bread +pizza, and missing of topping in the lettuce salad as you described.What I can say its a shame you didn't alight to my staff or me your issues, and regarding the bread there is no way as im a professional pizzaiolo I can assure the bread if is row will be rubbery if is dry that means is over cooked.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to change your opinion about the Paolino in Lindfield in the near future.
Many thanks and regards
Paolo and staff
London, United Kingdom
“You cannot be serious”
Reviewed 16 August 2013

As Mr MacEnroe used to say. We went on my wife's birthday. A nice greeting from the Manageress was the best bit, it was downhill from there. The food took over an hour to arrive, it was cold, and mine was the wrong order. We were so hungry by then we ate it anyway. When my wife said mildly that they hadn't given her a very nice birthday meal the Manageress started shouting at her. As we left her husband joined in. Apparently none of the locals ever go there. I'm not surprised, we never will again.

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank Harry D
Pumata, Owner at Paolino Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Hi Harry D,im sorry to hear from you to have a bad visit to our restaurant.
Unfortunately we don`t remember all this issues you did mention, especially the food cold and took over an hour to arrive and on top of that you are saying we shouted at you and your wife .
We have not recollation of this unusual (reg) the locals they support us regularly as we support them.
We would appreciated an opportunity to put this right at the time instead of using social media as means of expressing yourself
Paolino
Llandysul, United Kingdom
“1st timers”
Reviewed 12 August 2013

friend took us to this restaurant as a treat, and what a treat it was,excellent service,food,and ambience . we live in west wales and will not be back for some time ,but rest assured, we will be back well done, fabulous.

• Visited August 2013
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
“Pleasant enough, but disappointing”
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Paolino seems to be an exercise in playing it safe. Upon entering we were greeted by the owners personally which was a lovely touch, even on a busy Saturday evening. The decor is light and casual, although the modern aesthetic makes the place feel a little sterile and devoid of character.

To start I had the aubergines with tomatoes and mozzarella, while my partner had the calamari. Both were unfortunately very bland, with a tasteless tomato sauce covering my aubergines. The calamari suffered the same taste-free fate, although I must say they were cooked well.

The main courses didn't fare much better in terms of flavour. I chose Tortiglioni Paolino (pasta with Italian sausage and dolcelatte cheese) and my partner opted for Spaghetti Americana (pasta with homemade meatballs). The meatballs were small and seemed to be overpowered by saltiness, while the sausage in the Tortiglioni Paolino was completely lost in the sauce. The pasta was also overcooked; strange considering the owners are Italian, but not that surprising as I imagine they are catering to their market.

Desserts were average at best - a slightly dry chocolate cake for myself, and an underwhelming tiramisu for my partner. That seemed to be the theme of the evening, which is a shame. Don't get my wrong, the food was nice, but it was nothing special. I'm glad to say however that the charm of the owners and the value for money makes up for the disappointing food.

I would recommend Paolino, but don't expect superior cooking or authentic flavours. Perhaps they need to experiment with some bolder tastes rather than just playing it safe.

+ Friendly, accommodating owners
+ Attentive service
+ Well managed portions for a three course meal

- Underwhelming food
- A sterile dining environment

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank MarcTT
Pumata, Owner at Paolino Italian Restaurant, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Thank you for your constructive comments about our restaurant,however it would have been nice if you had made these comments during your visit so we could had the chance to offer you alternative dishes.
We do hope you will give us the oppurtunity to change your opinion in the future.
Regards