South Lodge Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Cisswood House(Lower Beeding)
1,733 results
All reviewscamellia restaurantsouth downspass restaurantjunior suiteafternoon teapillow menuspecial occasioncakebeautiful hotelfirst classsandwicheswalk in showertake homewine cellardrawing roomout of this worldhuge bathroom
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Please note that on this occasion we did not have an overnight stay (but we have stayed many times in the past few years), we only stayed for afternoon tea. We (2 adults and a very curious 3yr old) recently visited South Lodge to have an afternoon tea. Lovely setting, wonderful grounds for a mischevious little person to explore and lovely staff, particularly the waitress who served us (didn't catch her name) but nothing was any trouble for her. As usual the tea was served in the most delightful teapots and the homemade scones, cream and jam! Perhaps I'm byast as it's here where I got married but it is a joy to keep visiting.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
ajrowledge, Front of House Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your extperience of Afternoon Tea at South Lodge Hotel. I am delighted that you continue to return to South Lodge time and time again and in particular found the quality of both the food and service to be of the highest quality. Thank you again for choosing to visit South Lodge, I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2011

We spent two nights to celebrate our anniversary. The room was very comfortable but smelled damp. The Brit picnic was lovely but had no sandwiches. The wine cellar was fun and enabled us to choose our wine for dinner. We dined in the Camelia restaurant and the food was excellent. Front of house and breakfast managers were brilliant but the rest of the service was pure slap stick, getting orders wrong, tripping over stairs, forgetting orders. All told very enjoyable but service needs to be improved.

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank Frjennings
ajrowledge, Front of House Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience of South Lodge on TripAdvisor. I am delighted that you enjoyed the quality of the food in Camellia Restaurant and identify your experience in our new Cellar concept as one of the highlights of your stay. The 'Little Brit Special' offer to which you refer does not include sandwishes and is advertised as such, however had you made us aware that this was something that you would have liked to enjoyed with your sparkling wine and strawberries we would have of course been happy to arrange this for you as a supplement. I hope that the issues that you mentioned did not detract from an otherwise enjoyable stay and I look forward to welcoming you abck to South Lodge in the future.

Reviewed 29 July 2011

We stayed here for a family weekend, as a surprise for our friend's 60th, we all met on the Saturday lunch time in the fabulous lounge where we had Champagne, and then we went out into the grounds for Lunch. The hotel is situated in the most wonderful location and is truly 5 start. We had a typical pub type lunch, with sandwiches and chips and watched a wedding taking place, it added to the day for me.
We stayed in the Denman suite which had its own small terrace and had comfy sun loungers with very thick matresses on top and we could sun bathe quite happily, although I would not say it was secluded, it was very nice,
We met in the bar before dinner, the barman was extremely firendly and kept us amused even though it was busy he had time for everyone.
Dinner was exquisit, we had the private dining room off the Camelia Restaurant, and again the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are truly fabulous, there is the new extension, where we stayed, or the older part of the hotel is typical country house hotel. beautiful chinz soft furnishing and victorian style bathrooms.
There was a great choice for breakfast, which was served in the Camelia restaurant, we had a full English, but there was healthier options.
In all I would recommend a stay here, it is expensive, but well worth every penny, I cannot wait to return. One thing I have forgot to mention is that my friend, who's birthday it was needs a wheel chair and access for all the amenities was catered for and wheelchair friendly.

Room Tip: The Denman Suite has it's own private garden - I would plump for that room.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your glowing review of your experience at South Lodge. It was a pleasue to read how much you enjoyed every single aspect of your stay and how you mention so many highlights in your review. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to South Lodge in the future.

Reviewed 24 July 2011

Very disappointing food in the carvery - stone cold and whilst staff were very helpful they were clearly inexperienced - a shame for such a great hotel

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Thickchick6

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience of our Big Band Carvery event. I am extremely sorry for the issues that you encountered due to a technical fault on the day. This is not something that refelects the ususal award winning standards that we provide and I apologise for the negative impact that this had on your visit. I am pleased to see that you still award the hotel with a 5/5, I hope that the event itself was still very enjoyable for you and I very much look forward to welcoming you abck for the event next year.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

A nice place that unfortunately didn't get it. It is the shame that 'a little something extra' that is advertised and expected from South Lodge wasn't met. Unfortunately, quality service was the exception and not the rule.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Philippermw
ajrowledge, Front of House Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay with us. I am sorry to hear that you do not feel that you received exceptional service during your stay, I regret that you have not given any specific example of where you feel that we can improve as we are always looking to take constructive feedback to ensure that we offer the very best product and service to our guests. I do hope that your experience would not deter you from returning to South Lodge and I hope to welcome you back in the future.