“Beautiful hotel, attentive staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel, attentive staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights after our wedding. The initial welcome was superb, and it seemed that everyone knew about our marriage and seemed genuinely interested in our day!
The room (Rose de Barri) was spacious, clean and very comfortable. A great mix of country comfort and modern amenities! The windows leaked a bit on day two but the hotel was being battered by very heavy rain!
We ate in the Camelia restaurant both nights and the staff were helpful, polite, and aware of my specific dietary requirements. The food was delicious (even without the gluten!) and we couldn't fault the experience.
Overall a great stay...we didn't want to leave!

• Stayed December 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Dear daydream-believer21,

Many congratulations on your recent wedding. All of us at South Lodge are delighted we were able to play just a small part in your celebrations.

I am delighted you found the welcome warm, the team were on hand at all times, you enjoyed your deluxe guest room, and the Camellia restaurant was enjoyable on both evenings. On your next stay you will have to give our Michelin starred Pass restaurant to try.

I am sorry you did have to leave, but I do hope you will return before too long. We very much look forward to seeing you then.

All the very best wishes for the future.

Best wishes,

Operations Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

I have never written a review before, but felt so impressed by the hotel and staff at South Lodge Hotel, that I thought I should. All the staff were marvellous, attentive (but not over the top!) and cheerful. The food was superb with a great atmosphere in the restaurant (some of that might also be due to the fantastic wine we consumed with the meal!).

We stayed for unfortunately just 2 nights, with our dog, who was well catered for, with a bed from the hotel, bowls and some biscuits, he even had his own door from the room into the outside gardens. Unfortunately the weather was atrocious when we stayed, so my husband was well catered for in bed with remote control to the TV, while the dog and I braved the fierce storms in wellies and sou' wester. from our very own front door on to the world. The gardens were brilliant, full of deer and rabbits and a delight for a very active Springer Spaniel.

So in all we 'all' had a fantastic stay. Thank You!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear christina r,

Thank you for your charming review following your stay at South Lodge. It is a pleasure for the team and I to read your kind words. We are delighted you had a fabulous stay and the team were on hand to look after you.

I am pleased the dog enjoyed his bed, bowls and biscuits as well as his various (wet!) adventures around the 93 acres of splendid grounds. I am delighted you enjoyed one of our garden rooms with direct access to the grounds as well as their own private garden.

We do hope we will see you again in the future.

Best wishes,

Brighton, Sussex, Uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had the pleasure of staying here the week before Christmas. We arrived Sunday tea time and were upgraded to a room in the modern extension. We were warmly greeted by the receptionist before being given a tour of the restaurants and bar area. As we had our luggage we did look and feel a bit like tourists, so it might work better if luggage is taken to the room or left in reception while this takes place. The room itself was huge with a seating area and massive bathroom. The room is equipped with a flat screen TV Sky and BOSE soundsystem (but no Ipod dock) There is also no fridge, and no wine glasses which we found a bit odd. There was however a nice selection of teas, and bathrobes and slippers. Minty the sheep can be left outside the door if you don’t want the turn down service, (soft lighting, classic fm on the telly tray of shoe bag, clothes brush etc is a nice touch)
We had pre-dinner drinks in the bar, my partner having a very good mojito (she is a bit of a connoisseur) these were taken through to the restaurant for us by the friendly and courteous staff.
We dined in The Pass which is so good it will warrant a review of its own.
Breakfast was good, served in a very pleasant room, a fair selection of cereals, juices and fruit with cooked to order hot dishes. Again staff were attentive and friendly (and we often find breakfast staff to be surly)
This is a great hotel. We’re already looking for an excuse to go back! Possibly my new favorite hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear mileoakseagull,

Thank you for taking the time to post your super comments and photos following your stay. It is lovely for you to describe us as possibly your new favourite hotel.

A warm welcome always sets the tone to a stay and I am pleased your time at South Lodge was no different. Your bedroom sounds wonderful with lots of space in which to relax, a full SKY package and accompanying Bose sound system as well as an excellent turndown in the evening. The team would be delighted to provide a fridge on request.

We do like to think of ourselves as a foodie paradise. The Michelin starred Pass restaurant is indeed fantastic, with tasting menus and wine flights set in the excitement of the kitchen. I am pleased breakfast was excellent too, with good food and a friendly team. On your next stay you must join us for dinner in the Camellia restaurant. Our Chef, Steven Edwards has just won MasterChef the Professionals!

We do look forward to seeing you again before too long.

Warm regards,

West Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We stayed at South Lodge for their New Years Eve Party and have to say it was hard to find fault.

The hotel is set in lovely grounds (although we weren’t able to enjoy them due to the terrible weather!) and although close to Gatwick Airport does not suffer from any aircraft noise.

Valet parking took the hassle out of parking the car and then having to struggle with bags in the pouring rain and check in was quick and efficient and we were soon shown to our room. We had chosen a Traditional Junior Suite which was very nice and the bathroom was almost too large!

The function itself was very good with an excellent meal and a great band providing the entertainment.

Just a couple of minor niggles. Firstly the hotel required 100% payment up front which was there “policy” for functions. As it happened we booked quite late but so it wasn’t too much of a problem but it’s not something we have come across before (other than paying early to obtain a cheaper rate) and not something to be encouraged!

Secondly the function was held in a room on the Lower Ground Floor with no toilets on that level. A visit to the facilities required going up a long staircase (tricky with a dodgy knee) or finding the well hidden lift. The lift was hidden as it took you to a private wedding reception on the floor in which the toilets were located. Not a major problem but not ideal.

All in all, definitely a hotel to be recommended and re-visited.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JandJ333,

Happy new year and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your stay.

I am delighted you had an enjoyable time with us. It is great to hear of the warm welcome and the offer of valet parking, your super junior suite, and of course the NYE dinner and celebrations.

Thank you for providing your constructive comments. We will be sure to take these on board. I do hope the team and I have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

With very best wishes,

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Stayed at the south lodge last night after hearing really good things about it, lovely greeting by front of house, with a quick tour of the hotel and shown to our room, all felt very professional. However, when entering our room, a couple of things seemed a bit odd, one lightbulb was out in the bedside lamp, the tap in the bathroom was loose and the carpet was coming away from the wall slightly by the radiator, not what you expect when paying 220 a night and it being a 5 star hotel!

Got ready for dinner and arrived 30 mins early as suggested on their website, for drinks prior to dinner. We were greeted by a waitress and served our initial drinks, and asked whether we were eating at the restaurant, to which we answered that we had a booking for 8.30. All was going well but we did notice the staff were having chats to practically everyone in the restaurant except for my and my partner - we assume this is because we are younger (early 20s)...but seeing as we are paying as much as everyone else this was slightly frustrating. We learnt from overhearing the staff telling other guests that they were having problems with power and were experiencing delays, but not a word to us, and no apology whatsoever. This then resulted in not even seeing the menu until I had to get up and ask, seeing as we had been waiting 45 minutes after our reservation (hour and 15 mins in total in the lounge area) to which they told us our table was ready as if it was our fault we weren't already seated! such a shame because this wouldn't have bothered me if it had been communicated properly but we felt as if we had been forgotten. Meal was amazing when we got it though, and staff were attentive once the food was being served, just a shame we were eating so late!

Lovely turn down service when we for back to the room and very good nights sleep in their comfortable beds!

This review would be 5 star if communication had been better and small details seen to in the room.

Room Tip: Say yes to the turn down service in the evening, lovely touch!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear LucyPolly23,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am pleased that so many aspects of your stay were positive, including the service and food at dinner, as well as our wonderful bedroom turndown.

We take great pride in our level of housekeeping so as such I am disappointed there were a couple of issues with your bedroom. Rest assured, these have now been rectified. I am really sorry too for the delays and lack of communication at dinner. The hotel suffered a short power outage at around 7pm. This led to two issues. Firstly, the kitchen gas could not be reconnected for some time leading to delays in the kitchen. Secondly, the power outage blew a fuse in our communication room. This meant all of our printers, PDQ machines, and computers were not working correctly. We thus we had to use manual dockets and bills and this led to delays for the front of house teams. I do not however wish to make excuses and I am so sorry this was not communicated to you and an apology was not offered. It is heartening to read that you did enjoy the food and service at dinner once in the restaurant.

I do very much hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

With very best wishes,

Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

The staff were very attentive & helpful when we arrived & showed us to our upgraded room which was a massive junior suite on the ground floor with lovely South facing views. Fabulous bathroom with walk in shower, a Jacuzzi bath & TV.
We had pre dinner drinks in one of the bars which was great, both bars have a traditional feel, but with some very strange art works & lighting fixtures! Most bizarre & out of place in a lovely old building.
We had dinner in The Pass restaurant which was quite an experience, watching the chefs prepare & serve the different courses of our taster menu all of which were delicious. The service was excellent & the wines to go with the food were explained by the helpful wine waiter.
Do be aware that the tables & chairs are all elevated in order to see the kitchen, I assume.
I unfortunately forgot this when I stepped off the platform at the side of the room & fell heavily between two tables!
Apparently this is not an unusual occurrence as the waiter who helped me up told me & said he wished they would get rid of the step.
Sadly my fall rather spoilt the stay, though I was extremely fortunate not to be seriously hurt.
I was a little surprised that when I completed the Hotel's feedback request & asked for them to respond I had to contact them twice to get any reply-not 5 star service on this occasion.

Room Tip: Better views from the back of the Hotel south facing.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear AYHS,

Thank you for your lovely review of South Lodge following your recent stay.

I am pleased so many aspects of your stay were positive, including the attentive team, your wonderful suite with lovely views of the South Downs, the magnificent bathroom with wonderful shower, Jacuzzi bath and the all important AquaVision TV.

It is great to read drinks in the bar followed by dinner in The Pass were memorable. Matt and his team offer exceptional Michelin starred tasting menus and accompanying wine flights set in a quite unique environment. Not to be missed!

I was sorry to hear of your fall in The Pass. Rest assured, this is not something we take lightly and I am pleased to say we do now advise all guests that the seats are raised. We are very proud here to reply to all guest feedback, good and bad.

I do hope this incident did not mar and otherwise excellent stay. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back before too long.

Warmest regards,

Newburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

A superb hotel situated in beautiful grounds. Easily accessible in Sussex countryside. Hotel facilities are excellent with seemingly every detail thought through and implemented to the highest standard. All the staff, without exception, appeared to be carefully chosen, very well trained, friendly and professional and welcoming

My stay was for a family wedding and for this the quality of the facilities, public rooms, catering and service by all concerned was of a very high order.

Room Tip: Just ask Recepton or when making reservation.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear Alan P,

Thank you for your super review and for joining us for a family wedding. It is smashing to read of your excellent experience.

We are situated in 93 acres of grounds in the heart of the Sussex Weald with complete peace and tranquillity. It is therefore surprising to remember we are an hour from London and 20 minutes from Gatwick Airport.

It is very kind of you to describe the team in such glowing terms. I will be sure to pass on your wonderful feedback as they will naturally be delighted.

Thanks for the advice regarding bedrooms, you are right of course. As all of our rooms are individually designed and have unique features it is always best of talk through your requirements with one of the team. Would you like the room with the balcony and hot tub, or perhaps a private garden, or Maybe the old world charm of our deluxe guest rooms in the main house overlooking the South Downs?

I do hope we all have the pleasure of welcoming you back before too long.

Kindest regards,

Cisswood House
Cisswood House
#2 of 2 in Lower Beeding
Park House Hotel & Spa

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!