“Incredibly special.”
Review of South Lodge Hotel

South Lodge Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Lower Beeding
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

My daughter wanted a night in a hotel as her tenth birthday present so we went all out and booked a stay at the South Lodge. It was the right choice. From being greeted by name on arrival to every member of staff we met wishing her a Happy Birthday, she really was treated like royalty.

The room was gorgeous, the food in the Camellia was exquisite, the grounds (particularly the rockery) are beautiful. The staff were all unfailingly helpful and met our needs before we even knew we needed them.

It was the most amazing weekend, and although it cost nearly the average weekly wage, me and Molly had the best time, so we think it was worth it and will be back next year for her 11th birthday.

Many thanks to all the team for making it so magical.

• Stayed: April 2014
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear SamJTyler,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay at South Lodge. The team I are just thrilled Molly enjoyed her birthday celebrations!

It is lovely to know you were so well looked after throughout your time with us. I will be sure to share your kind words with the team as it really does mean a lot to us all.

The rockery is looking fantastic. It is a real hidden gem and being the 2nd largest rockery in the country it is certainly worth finding whilst enjoying a stroll in our 93 acres of grounds.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Operations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,708)

Reviewed 26 April 2014

Yes , when we booked a room after eating in the camellia restaurant one day we checked this room our and with a large lounge , huge bathroom and bedroom with views of the rhododendrons etc we booked it .
We had a little problem at reception before we arrived asking if we could check in before the infamous check in time of 3pm one email said no followed by another 30 mins later from a different person saying yes. Nice early lunch in the billiard room , friendly service , after being shown our lovely room , with the flowers we had ordered and champagne all in place l
A wander round the 93 acres full of rhododendrons in bloom was very enjoyable before a rest
In the room as we prepared for our dinner in the pass ( see review separately ) - the pass was exceptional in every way service , food , ambience , and not embarrassing at all eating in the kitchen area.
One tip ask if you can to sit side by side so you can both see the kitchen working .
Breakfast as I told them rather let them down - it was not in keeping with everything else in the hotel.
That said we will return , hopefully the service and food at breakfast will have improved ,or maybe we just hit on a bad day for them , funnily enough many years ago we stayed at a nearby hotel that was so bad we came here then just for breakfast which was excellent .
We have been coming here off and on for 30 years or so and overall the experience has improved
Enormously , maybe also the manager could be more visible ,we were not aware on our visit there was one , one of the ladies at reception was very helpful and friendly , sorry we did nt get her name.

Room Tip: Monarch suite for special occasions

Dear alanEastSussexUk,

Thank you for your stay following your recent visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

The Monarch suite is a smashing room. With its own separate lounge and those oh so spectacular views it is the perfect place to relax.

It sounds as if you had a wonderful experience in The Pass and thank you for posting your separate review. Our check-in time is 3pm, however we will always endeavour to accommodate our guests for their arrival. I am sorry breakfast did not live up to the rest of your experience of the hotel and I will share your comments with Daniel, our Camellia restaurant manager.

I am sorry I did not have the opportunity to see you on this visit, however it would be a pleasure to welcome you back soon. With that in mind I do look forward to seeing you then.

All the very best,

Reviewed 24 April 2014

As a family engagement celebration we received excellent service from all the staff ( for the valet parking to the waiting staff ) and with a glass of champagne and plate re fills as required it was value for money and a great setting - even on a rainy day.

Room Tip: Go for the sofa seats for afternoon tea

Dear RogerSussex,

Many congratulations to your family member for their recent engagement. We are delighted you celebrated here at South Lodge and the visit was such a positive one.

Afternoon tea is a real treat. What better place to indulge than in our Drawing Room, Lounge or outside on our terraces.

You will have to return when we have a better day as there is nothing better than walking off an afternoon tea than by taking a walk around our 93 acres of grounds including our kitchen garden, rockery and charming lakes.

We all look forward to seeing you then.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2014

From the moment we drove in to my door being opened by a most charming young gentlemen, who registered us and upgraded us to our most luxurious suite, magnificent bathroom most comfortable bed with a pillow I requested which was heavenly. As the restaurant only had late reservations we ate locally (another review).
We cannot wait to return as it was a wonderful nights stay.
We had views from the dining room at breakfast which overlooked part of the 93 acres of grounds.
I had 'lemon curd' at breakfast which I believe was 'home made' and was delicious.

Room Tip: A suite is a must!

Dear fivestarKent,

Thank you for your wonderful review following your stay at South Lodge.

It means a lot of the team and I to learn of your wonderful stay from the moment you arrived at our front doors.

I am pleased your bedroom was everything you expected and more and breakfast was such a pleasure enjoying our home made produce as well as the wonderful views over the South Downs from our Camellia Restaurant.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

This hotel is in a lovely setting and the rooms are of a very high quality which can not be faulted. In the room, there is everything you would need, including free WIFI and Full Sky TV package. Huge bathroom also and VERY comfy beds.

Dinner in the restaurant was good. Not spectacular (for fine dining), but good non the less.

Breakfast was the biggest let down for this hotel. There was a Ferrari owners convention happening the night/morning we stayed. I can only assume, that the majority of the staff were tending to this, rather than the remaining guests. It took 20 minutes, for anyone to think about taking our order for breakfast (I had to get up and ask for a cup of tea, which seemed to be a real effort for the staff), then a remaining 30 minutes for it to arrive. Other guests were being turned away saying they were too busy. Many were complaining and the staff member in charge just looked lost and totally out of his depth. It was such a shame, as this really did ruin our stay and our memories of the hotel.

I would like to return to this hotel, but have been somewhat put off by the issues experienced

3  Thank snips1982

Dear snips1982,

Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry your stay did not live up to your expectations or indeed the high standards we set.

Although it is heathenising to read the many positive aspects of your stay such as the bedroom and dinner I am sorry breakfast was a disappointment. Please accept my apologies for the delays in service.

I can assure you this is very much not the norm and I do hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future where I am confident we can restore your faith in South Lodge hospitality. With that in mind, when you do have a future stay in mind I would be delighted to handle your reservation personally. Please do contact me at the hotel.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back.

With best wishes,

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Very pleased with our stay, very friendly and helpful staff, Lovely grounds for a walk also found out they are a dog friendly hotel which makes a change. Food very good - but don't expect it to be cheap.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
MarkSurguy, Manager at South Lodge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Georgiesdad2014,

Thank you for your splendid review following your recent stay.

I am pleased the team here looked after you so well, and you enjoyed the food as well as our extensive grounds.

We are indeed a dog friendly hotel. We have a number of bedrooms where the pooch is welcome, with many feature their own private gardens. We will even add a bed, dog bowl, blanket and some treats for your special friend. With 93 acres of grounds, including the 2nd largest rockery in the UK, as well our very own series of lakes the whole family can the splendid surroundings.

All of us at South Lodge look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Took my elderly parents for a birthday treat for afternoon tea, was extremely disappointed there seemed to be more attention spent on the tea we were drinking when we requested just an ordinary breakfast tea a couple of pots arrived with infusion filters and egg timer to tell us when tea was ready ! Tea was extremely weak and not enjoyable, when the food arrived was shocked at the sparse amount of sandwiches that were given with very uninteresting fillings, sliver of cheap ham sliver of cucumber,garlic egg open finger , scones were nice but very small so were rest of cakes for the price we paid was shocking , shall not be recommending anyone to go there !

3  Thank Verina2014

Dear Verina2014,

I was sorry to read your review and learn of your disappointing experience.

We take our tea here at South Lodge very seriously. Natalia, our Tea Sommelier and Camellia Teas, our supplier have created our very own house teas, The South Lodge and Lady Godman Grey blends. The South Lodge blend is a delightful mix of Darjelling, Yunnan, Ceylon playing homage to the traditions of the South Lodge Estate as well as the Godman family’s love for travel. Taking inspiration from our remarkable collection of plants, reflecting the beauty of the great outdoors, and celebrating the Godman’s family love of all things nature, the Lady Godman Grey tea is a delicate black tea with hints of roses, lavender, and oil of bergamot. Of course, there are a further 18 blends of tea to choose from, including strong black teas such as Assam which would perhaps have been more to your liking.

I am incredibly shocked you did not enjoy the afternoon tea offering. Our guests can enjoy as many refills as they wish of sandwiches, scones or pastries. In addition, we do offer our guests a selection of home made cakes to enjoy here (if they have room!) or to take away with them. It is such a pity you did not raise your concerns as I am sure one of the team would have been delighted to refresh any element of your afternoon tea whilst of course ensuring your visit was a positive one.

I do hope to welcome you back soon where I am sure we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in all things South Lodge.

Yours sincerely,

Bailiffscourt Hotel
Bailiffscourt Hotel
#1 of 1 in Climping
Premier Inn Horsham North (Horsham Station) Hotel

Been to South Lodge Hotel? Share your experiences!